CyanogenMod team has released the official Android 5.1.1-based CM 12.1 stable build for all the Xperia Table Z Wi-Fi users. You can follow the info in this post in order to learn how to successfully install this custom ROM on your device.
The CM 12.1 Stable is a smoother and more reliable Android 5.1.1 Lollipop custom ROM than the Nightly CM 12.1 builds. So, you should try it on your tablet in case you would like to experience the AOSP Android 5.1.1 Lollipop + CyanogeMod combo experience instead of the original Sony-branded interface.
Before starting the installation you should check these guidelines:
- this guide can be used only with the Sony Xperia Tablet Z Wi-Fi models.
– don’t use this guide for other Xperia models.
- your device needs to be on rooted firmware and a custom Recovery should be installed on it.
– both CWM and TWRP Recoveries are working with this post.
– the installed custom Recovery needs to be upgraded to its latest edition, so that it supports the latest Android 5.1.1-based custom ROMs.
- in the tutorial part of this post you can find the NANDROID Backup and the Factory Reset steps.
– the NANDROID Backup creates a full restore point for your device, one that you can use in case the new CM 12.1 ROM doesn’t boot.
– the NANDROID Backup creates a full copy of the previously installed OS.
– the ‘factory reset’ steps are going to wipe all the data from the system memory partition, as it has to remove the old ROM and make room for the new CM 12.1 Stable ROM.
– factory resetting your device is not going to remove any data from internal storage.
- if you wish to save application data then you can use the Helium tool for Android.
– sync Contacts info with your default Gmail account.
- check your device’s battery charge, it has to be over 50% to prevent it from powering off during the CM 12.1 installation process.
- use this post only if you are an advanced user, we cannot be blamed in case you brick your device nor in case you lose any data files.
- read the whole post and do not skip any steps.
If you want to continue flashing future new CM 12.1 Stable builds, then you will have to use the CyanogenMod Updates menu under Settings> About Device section.
How to flash CM 12.1 Android 5.1.1 Stable ROM for Wi- Xperia Tablet Z:
- Download the CM 12.1 SNAPSHOT zip from here.
- Download Gapps for Android 5.1.1 ROMs from here.
- You have to transfer these files on to your tablet’s internal storage.
– do not unzip the archives.
– after the files are transferred you can disconnect the device from computer.
- Power off your Xperia Tablet Z.
- Boot it in Custom Recovery Mode.
- First you will need to create a full NANDROID Backup for the installed ROM:
– CWM: select ‘backup and restore’.
– TWRP: select ‘wipe’ option.
– rename this backup file and confirm the process.
- Now you can factory reset the device:
– CWM: select ‘wipe data/ factory reset’.
– TWRP: select ‘wipe’ option.
- Start CM 12.1 Stable Android 5.1.1 ROM flashing process for Xperia Tablet Z Wi-Fi:
– CWM: select ‘install zip from sdcard’, then ‘choose zip from sdcard’.
– TWRP: select ‘install’.
- Find the CM 12.1 zip and confirm its installation.
- After the custom ROM is done installing you can flash the Gapps zip in the same way.
- Reboot your Xperia Tablet Z in normal mode after all the new files are installed on your device.
- Use your Google account info in roder to regain complete control over your device once again.
These were the steps that you had to take in order to complete the installation process of this new custom ROM.
If the first boot process of CM 12.1 Stable ROM takes more than 30 minutes, or the phone has entered in a boot loop, then you will be forced to try and repeat the whole guide more than once. Make sure not to skip any steps and that your tablet meets all requirements before repeating installation.