The best way in which you can take full advantage of your smartphone, whether it is a low range, or a high end one, is by flashing a custom ROM into its system. And this is exactly what you should do if you own a Vodafone Smart, also known as Huawei U8160, Android powered handset. So, during the following, you can learn how to manually install the CyanogenMod 7.2 custom firmware on your Smart.
The procedure of flashing the CM 7 ROM is not hard to complete, all you need to do is to follow the steps from the present tutorial. You have all the aspects explained and detailed, so you can resolve this task in the shortest time possible. I will also show you the advantages / negative aspects that come with the software in order to offer you a proper background view over the concept. In this way, you can decide whether to install the CyanogenMod 7.2 on your Vodafone Smart / Huawei U8160 or not.
The Vodafone Smart is a regular phone, with budget friendly specs and features. It is designed for the entry level customers who don’t need high end performances. The handset is having a 528 MHz processor, 256 MB of RAM memory, a 2.8 inch display, a 2 MP rear facing camera with no front facing one and the Android 2.2 OS. I bet that you will get tired of all these shortly after you buy the device; therefore you will probably decide to do something in order to improve its performances. And, as already stated, the best way for completing this is by learning how to install the CyanogenMod 7.2 custom firmware on your Vodafone Smart.
CyanogenMod is a custom ROM that offers features not found in the official Android platform and it isn’t preinstalled when you first buy your device. It’s your job to get and install it properly. As you can see below the software is bringing numerous capabilities which are designed to perfectly suit the Android platform.
The firmware is coming with extra features and capabilities: the phone’s battery life will be improved, you will be able to gain speed, customize, or optimize its internal system, unchain it from those annoying factory restrictions, and so on. Unfortunately, flashing CyanogenMod will make you void the Vodafone Smart / Huawei U8160 warranty, so in case if something wrong is happening (like wrecking the OS) then you will be on your own. If you’re not comfortable with this aspect maybe it will be better to stop here.
Having access to a Windows / Linux / MAC running computer, to your phone and to its USB cord will be required. On both, the PC and smartphone you must do the next operations (don’t skip this section):
- CM 7 can be flashed only on a rooted Vodafone Smart that has a custom recovery image (such as ClockworkMod Recovery) preinstalled; check our latest guides and learn how to do that too and then return here.
- The data stored will probably be erased. That’s why you should probably consider in backing up the Huawei U8160. Use tools designed especially for this procedure in order to safely save your info. You can always learn how to do this by checking our guide: download SMS backup and restore apps for Android.
- 70% battery power should be left in your device; else go and charge the phone first.
- Go and deactivate all the possible security programs located on your computer or on your smartphone.
- Enable the USB debugging in your phone. “Settings > Applications > Development > USB debugging”. You can enable the USB debugging only when the gadget is disconnected from the computer.
That being said, you can now get to the proper step by step guide. Read carefully and do all as explained.
How to Install CyanogenMod 7.2 on Vodafone Smart / Huawei U8160
- First, you must download the firmware. Get the Cyanogen Mod firmware Package from here and place it to the computer. Also, the Google Apps (take it from here) must be downloaded on the PC.
- Connect the phone with the computer by using the USB cord.
- Copy the files downloaded in step 1 from the PC to the phone’s SD card.
- Disconnect the device from the PC.
- Turn off the handset.
- Reboot it by entering in recovery mode. This can be achieved by holding down (simultaneously) the “power” and “volume up” keys.
- In the recovery mode menu select “install zip from sd card” followed by “choose zip from sd card”; the tools should be there, just pick them.
- Now the installation process will begin. It will take a few minutes before ending.
- Finally, when you will be back on the recovery mode menu you must select “++++ Go Back ++++” and “reboot system now”.
A custom ROM is now running on your device. This means that you know (and you are familiar) how to install the CyanogenMod 7.2 custom ROM on your Vodafone Smart / Huawei U8160 handset. It wasn’t so hard, but in order to do it as it should you must do exactly as described above.