This is a ported ROM from the HTC One Google Edition phone. Use this tutorial and you’ll learn how to get this new ROM on your HTC One M7 model. Read this entire post and make sure that you know what you’re doing before starting the updating process.
This build of Stock Android 4.2.2 Google Play Edition is rooted, busyboxed and odexed by XDA member and developer, bigxie. More info about this release can be found in this XDA thread here. It is the ROM that has been shipped with the HTC One Google Edition phone, and now users who want the Nexus Experience on their standard HTC One can use this post to install it on their devices.
The main features of this new release are as following: Stock Android 4.2.2 Jelly Bean with the latest Google applications, new Camera UI, working WiFi and Bluetooth, Beats Audio toggle listed under Sound Settings and the Tbalden 4.2.2 kernel. In order to successfully install this update, you will first have to take a look at these guidelines:
- Use this post only with the HTC One with the following codenames: m7ul, m7tmo, m7att.
- Your device has to be factory unlocked, rooted and having CWM or TWRP Recovery installed on it. This tutorial uses the TWRP Recovery to install the files, but the CWM one should work too.
- If you use CWM Reecovery and the update fails, then you will have to try and use TWRP instead.
- Use the custom Recovery mode to create a full NANDROID backup of your current OS. This will act as a restore point for your device, you can use it in case something goes and the HTC One doesn’t boot into normal mode.
- the tutorial will ask you to ‘wipe data/ factory reset’, which means that you will lose the contents from your device’s system partition. All installed apps, SMS, call logs info and other similar data will be wiped from your device.
- backup installed apps data using a tool from Google Play Store.
- in order to backup SMS, call logs info or APN Internet Settings, use the following tools for Android: SMS backup & restore | Call Logs backup & restore | APN Settings Backup & Restore. Root access is required for some of these apps.
- sync the Contacts data with your Gmail account, so that you’ll be able to restore all phone number and other Contacts info after the installation of the new ROM is successful.
- enable the USB Debugging from Developer Options.
- make sure that your device’s battery has enough power left in its battery. In case the phone’s switches off in the middle of the updating process, then you will be forced to repeat the entire tutorial.
- use this guide only if you’re an advanced Android user.
- we cannot be blamed in case you lose any important data in the process nor in case the device gets bricked.
- read the entire post and make sure not to skip any steps that I have listed below.
Since you’ve read all of the above, I think that you can continue to the next part of this post and learn how to update your device. In case you’re having problems with the updating process, then you should ask for help in comments or check the XDA thread here.
How to flash Stock Android 4.2.2 Jelly Bean ROM from HTC One Google Play Edition for HTC One M7 standard model:
- Download the ROM zip file from HERE.
> save the file on your PC and do not unzip.
- Connect your device with your PC and then move the ROM zip file onto its internal SDcard. Disconnect the device from PC when the file is copied successfully.
- Power off your HTC One.
- Boot the device into TWRP / CWM Recovery.
> note: I’ve used the TWRP Recovery for this guide, but the CWM one should work too; just make sure to find the corresponding buttons.
- Select ‘backup’ option and then Confirm that you want to create a NANDROID backup of your current OS.
> this will create a restore point for your device.
- Now, return to the main Recovery screen and press ‘Wipe’ option. After that you have to press ‘Factory Reset’ and confirm the process.
- Return to the first screen and next you need to press ‘Install’. Browse your device’s internal SDcard for the ROM zip file you moved in step 2. Load it into TWRP.
- Confirm that you wish to install it by swiping the button shown at the bottom of the screen.
Wait several minutes for the installation to complete.
- After the process is complete, select ‘Reboot’ and then press ‘System’ option. Now your device will restart into normal mode.
- The first boot process might take a while before completion. Wait.
- When the home screen appears, you should enter your Google Account details and take control over your device once again.
These were all the steps that you had to take in order to flash the Android 4.2.2 JB ROM from HTC One Google Edition onto your standard HTC One M7 device. I hope that the update when according to plan and that now you’re able to test the latest Jelly Bean build for your device.
If you don’t like how your phone runs with this new OS, then you should use the Custom Recovery Mode and the Restore function. Then you will have to restore the NANDROID backup files of your previous ROM.
If you have any problems with the install, you should leave a detailed comment below and we will try to come up with a viable solution.