How to Install the ClockWorkMod Recovery on the HTC One S
If you are among the lucky one that have access to and can afford to buy the middle class droid HTC has simply named the One S, you should be glad to hear this news. The always present and very dedicated developer community has come up with a safe and easy way of rooting and installing a recovery on your beloved new HTC One S. The best part is that this recovery is none other than the highly praised ClockWorkMod Recovery. This means that if you have upgraded from another device that used this recovery you will feel right at home after rooting your HTC One S.
If you can’t tell what all the fuss is about in the HTC One lineup, we can simply say that the middle market device from HTC will simply top the charts with unseen level of performance. Not only does it leave the Samsung made Exynos chip well behind with its new Qualcomm Krait design, but it also compares and dare we say also wins the duel with its much more esteemed brother, the HTC One X that happens to be equipped with the latest NVIDIA quad core Tegra 3 platform.
For those of you who are looking to improve the performance and the looks of their One S, the ClockWorkMod Recovery is all that is needed.
The first thing you will need to do before following our guide is to unlock the bootloader of your HTC One S, and this can be done by going to HTC website: htcdev.com. Once there you will need to create an account and once that’s done you will have to go to the Unlock Bootloader tab and select get started. In the new webpage you should be able to spot and click the Select Your Device menu, after which you will have to select the option All Other Supported Models and follow the instructions there. The HTC One S has barely been released so HTC had no time to update a personalized guide for unlocking the bootloader of the One S, but the procedure mentioned in the All Other Supported Models will work just fine.
Once you have unlocked the bootloader of your HTC One S you are safe to proceed to the next phase of our guide. Just to be sure, we are in no way responsible for any damage that might occur by following this guide, and you should note that this method only works for the HTC One S.
The method with which we will install the ClockWorkMod Recovery on your HTC One S is a little bit complicated and if you are not sure what you are doing it is better to just wait for a one click solution. In other words, if you want to follow this guide you must be an advanced Android user.
- We will begin this procedure by downloading these fastboot files. We will use these later.
- In the next step we will download the ClockWorkMod Recovery (CWM) from this website. The first download link contains the recovery and it is named: r1-modaco-recovery-clockwork-touch-ville.img. This is the file we will be flashing through fastboot and the other file (ville_recovery_signed.img) is the stock HTC recovery which can be useful if you want to install an official update. All you have to do to revert to the original recovery version is to replace the file we will be flashing with the stock recovery image.
- The third step involves extracting the fastboot files we downloaded earlier to an easy to reach place, preferably to your desktop. You should have 4 files, if you don’t you will have to download the zip archive again.
- Now you will have to copy the ClockWorkMod recovery image (r1-modaco-recovery-clockwork-touch-ville.img) to the same folder you extracted the fastboot files.
- The next step is a little bit trickier so you will have to pay attention. You will need to open the cmd program in Windows and navigate to the folder where you have those five files. The easiest way to do so in Windows 7 is to go to right click the folder where you extracted the archive and then, while holding the shift key on keyboard, press the right mouse click in the empty space inside the folder and select the Open Command Window Here option. You will notice a new black window which has the exact path as the folder.
- Next up you will have to shut down your One S.
- Now you will have to start your One S into fastboot mode. In order to do so you must first enter the HBOOT menu by holding the Volume Down key and then pressing the Power Key. From the new menu you have to navigate to the fastboot option by using the volume keys and once you reach it press the Power Key to select it.
- The next thing we are going to do is to connect the One S in fastboot mode to the PC using its original USB cable. And now comes the tricky part as you will have to type “fastboot devices” in the cmd windows you opened earlier and check if a number appears. If it does then that is your HTC One S, but if it doesn’t you will have to redo steps 3 to 7 and make sure that you have installed the ADB Software that was also needed for the unlocking of the bootloader.
- Once you have completed the steps above you will have to type “fastboot flash recovery r1-modaco-recovery-clockwork-touch-ville.img” in the cmd window and wait for the program to finish. You can also copy paste the text above.
- When the fastboot program has finished flashing the ClockWorkMod Recovery you will have to type “fastboot reboot” to restart your One S.
If everything has gone according to plan you can now enter the ClockWorkMod recovery by following the procedure to go to the fastboot menu, but instead of selecting the fastboot option you will simply navigate to the Recovery option. The first thing you usually do when entering the ClockWorkMod recovery for the first time is to make a nandroid backup ffrom the backup menu. This will be useful if something goes wrong in the future as you will always be able to return the One S to this state.
Once you see the ClockWorkMod Recovery on your device you have successfully finished this guide. All you have to do now is to enjoy it and use it to flash new custom ROMs and other nicely made themes or apps for your device. Just make sure you flash the right files.