Team Win Recovery Project has released its own Recovery image files for the HTC One smartphone. You can use this post to learn how to successfully flash TWRP Recovery for your device. Read all the info listed here and if you cannot complete the installation then you can ask for extra help in comments.
Installing the TWRP Recovery will enable numerous functions for your HTC One such as flashing new custom ROMs, kernels and other customization files or even apply root for your device. Read the guidelines below to make sure that you will complete this guide at your first attempt. Here’s what you have to know:
- This guide will work only with the HTC One smartphone. Do not attempt to use this guide with any other Android device.
- Your phone should be on an unlocked bootloader. If yours isn’t then you can learn how to unlock its bootloader using this guide here. Unlocking the bootloader of your HTC One phone will delete all the contents that are currently stored on it. You should move all files to your PC so that you will be able to retrieve them after completing the tutorial.
- Make sure that your computer has the HTC Sync Manager installed on it.
- Enable USB debugging option from the Android Developer Options.
- Disable the FAST BOOT option from the Settings> Power menu. If this option is enabled, the custom Recovery mode will not boot and you cannot complete this tutorial.
- Disable all the software security tools that are currently running on your smartphone.
- Make sure that there is enough power left in your phone’s battery. This will prevent the device from powering off while you’re flashing the new Recovery files.
- This is a guide for advanced Android users and you shouldn’t use it in case you’re a novice.
- We won’t be held responsible in case you lose any data or you brick your smartphone in the process.
- If you cannot complete the installation of TWRP Recovery, then you should ask for more help in our comments field.
These were all the guidelines that you had to go through before getting to the interesting part of this guide.
How to flash TWRP Recovery for your HTC One:
- Download the Fastboot zip from HERE.
- When the download of Fastboot is complete you should extract the zip contents and save them in a single folder on your computer.
- Download the TWRP Recovery zip from HERE or HERE. If you get a zip then you need to extract the .img file and place it in the Fastboot folder. If you download directly the recovery .img file then you won’t need to extract its contents, but you should still place it in Fastboot. NOTE: the fastboot folder should hold 5 files now.
- Power off your device and then boot it into HBOOT/ Bootloader mode by pressing simultaneously Volume Down and Power. When the screen powers on you can release the buttons.
- Select FASTBOOT option and confirm. This will change HBOOT into FASTBOOT USB.
- Now you have to use the USB cable and connect your HTC One to your computer. All the USB drivers will now be installed for your device.
- Go to ‘Fastboot’ folder on your PC. Press and Hold the ‘SHIFT’ button on your keyboard and, at the same time, right-click on the folder’s white space. Select ‘open command window here’ and wait for the Windows Command Prompt window to load.
- Enter the following command line in CMD: fastboot devices
Your device should be recognized and you can continue to the next step. If it isn’t recognised then you should re-install all the USB Drivers for your device.
- Next, enter the following command line in CMD in order to flash the TWRP Recovery files: fastboot flash recovery recovery.img
- When the TWRP Recovery file is successfully installed, CMD will display a confirmation message. Disconnect the device from computer now.
- Use the Volume buttons to select ‘HBOOT’ option on your smartphone and select it by pressing Power.
- Test to see if the RECOVERY mode works by selecting the ‘RECOVERY’ option. Your phone should boot into TWRP Recovery mode now and this means that the install has been successfully completed.
- Select ‘Reboot’ from the TWRP Recovery options and wait until your phone boots into normal mode.
That’s it, you’ve completed this guide.
If you want to know how to boot directly into TWRP Recovery mode read the extra instructions listed below:
- Power off your HTC One completely.
- press Volume Down and Power buttons at the same time until the screen powers on.
- HBOOT menu will appear and you have to press Volume Down several times to highlight the RECOVERY option.
- Press Power button to load the TWRP Recovery mode.
- When you’re done with the custom recovery mode you need to select Reboot and then System. The HTC One will now boot into normal mode.
That’s it, you’ve successfully flashed the custom TWRP Recovery image for your HTC One.
If you have any other questions please ask for more help in comments.
Now that you’ve installed the recovery you can start by rooting your phone using the tutorial I’ve posted at this link here. I hope that this guide will help you add new custom ROMs or any other kernels or customization files that should improve the performance of your HTC One device.