The official Android 4.4.2 KitKat update for Galaxy S4 Mini Duos is now rolling out and you can learn how to update it using all the info listed in this post.
With the new update your Galaxy S4 Mini dual-SIM model will get the latest 4.4.2 KitKat firmware build along with white status bar icons, full-screen immersive mode, better battery life, improved multi-tasking, better Samsung S apps, support for setting new default messaging apps, lcokscreen improvements, Settings menu design improved, and more.
This new update is currently rolling out only in Russia, but you can use our guide to flash the new Android 4.4.2 KitKat firmware for any Galaxy S4 Mini Dual-SIM independent of your location. Before installing this new ROM you will need to take a look at the preparation info below:
- use this post only with the Samsung Galaxy S4 Mini Duos model number GT – I9192.
– check the model number of your phone by going to Settings> About Phone.
– if the GT – I9192 version is not listed, then you shouldn’t use this post to update it.
– do not try to update any other Android devices with the files that you will find in this article.
- install the Samsung USB Drivers on your computer before trying to update your phone manually.
- enable USB Debugging from Developer Options menu.
– if Developer Options isn’t listed under Settings, then you cannot the phone with your PC and ODIN cannot detect the phone.
– Odin3 v3.09 is the application that you will use to push the new firmware on your device.
– check the info listed here if you want to learn how to enable Developer Options and USB Debugging for Samsung devices.
- disable any antivirus and the Samsung KIES apps from running on your computer when the PC is connected to your Galaxy S4 Mini Duos.
- if the phone is rooted, then you should know that this update will revoke root access.
– also, any custom Recovery that you might have installed on it will be replaced with a stock one.
- if your Galaxy S4 Mini Duos has a custom ROM installed on it, then you need to know that the system partition will be wiped and you will also have to apply a ‘factory reset’.
– the ‘factory reset’ part is listed at the end of this post and you will use it only for devices running custom ROMs.
- in case you wish to save some data from installed apps you should use Helium for Android.
- sync Contacts info with your default Gmail account.
- check your phone’s battery charge level and make sure that it is over 50%, this will prevent it from switching off during installation.
- do not blame us in case you brick the phone nor in case you lose any important data in the process.
- use this post only if you are an advanced users, read the whole guide first and do not skip any steps if you want to complete update at the first attempt.
Now that you know all of the above you can continue to the next part of this post.
How to flash Android 4.4.2 I9192XXUCNG2 update manually for Galaxy S4 Mini Duos:
- Download the I9192XXUCNG2 KitKat update zip file from here.
– note that you will need an account at SamMobile before using their own servers.
- Extract the I9192XXUCNG2 tar.md5 file from the downloaded zip file. Don’t extract any further than that.
- Download Odin3 v3.09 from here.
– extract its contents to your PC.
- Power off your Galaxy S4 Mini Duos.
- Boot the phone in Download Mode now.
- Open and launch Odin3 v3.09 on your computer.
- Connect your Galaxy S4 Mini Duos to your PC using the USB Cable.
– wait for Odin to detect the phone and then continue to the next step.
– if the phone is not recognized by your PC then you will have to re-install its USB Drivers.
- Now, click on the ‘AP’ Odin option.
- Browse your computer for the I9192XXUCNG2 tar.md5 file and load it in Odin.
– make sure that ‘Re-Partition’ option is disabled.
– don’t edit other Odin default settings.
- Press ‘START’ when you’re ready to begin the new firmware update.
– the update will take a while before it installs.
– do not press any other buttons until all files are done installing.
- After Odin completes the installation you will see the Galaxy S4 Mini Duos rebooting.
– wait until Odin says ‘PASS’, then you can disconnect the phone from PC.
– note that the first boot process takes somewhere around ten minutes and you should wait until the KitKat 4.4.2 home screen appears.
- Use your login details in order to gain control over your device once again.
I hope that you managed to install all files and that you’re currently testing all the new features and functions of the Android 4.4.2 KitKat ROM on your Galaxy S4 Mini Duos device.
If the update was completed successfully you can close this guide.
If you’ve encountered any problems during installation you should take a look at the ‘notes’ below, you might find some helpful instructions.
In case ODIN displays the ‘fail’ alert during installation, then you will have to read once again the whole guide and make sure that your phone meets all the requirements listed in the preparation guide. Repeat the tutorial if you think that your device’s model number is the one listed in this post. If you need more help you should use the comments field at the end of this post.
If your Galaxy S4 Mini Duos enters into a boot loop, or it gets stuck at the boot animation screen longer than 20 minutes despite Odin saying that the process was passed, then you will be forced to apply a full factory reset. This process is also needed if you’ve installed the official Android 4.4.2 KitKat over a custom ROM.
Here’s how to do it: Power off the phone completely, boot it in Recovery Mode. Select ‘wipe data/ factory reset’ from recovery menu and confirm process. Reboot your phone in normal mode after the process is complete.