Gaining root access is maybe the most important tweaking process that can be applied on the Android system. This process is unlocking the Android OS by removing factory and default restrictions, so by ensuring root you can prepare your smartphone for further customizations. Thus, by using the guidelines from below you can learn how to successfully gain root on the new HTC U11.
With root access you can unleash the true potential of your smartphone. Even if you think that your HTC U11 is running great, you need to know that there is always room for improvements. And with the right customizations applied your smartphone can run better and faster while you can enjoy an improved battery life.
Overall, a rooted Android OS means endless tweaking possibilities for you. Once this tutorial is completed you can easily apply various other custom operations through which you can customize, optimize and personalize everything you want. Here are the most important operations that can be performed after you take care of the steps from below:
- You can remove bloatware and start-up programs from your HTC U11.
- You can add root-only apps from Google Play and from any other sources.
- You can download and use features, apps and capabilities which cannot be found on the default Android Nougat platform.
- You can apply custom kernels and MODs and you can afterwards overclock or undervolt CPU frequencies.
- You can update your HTC U11 with custom ROMs – so, you can replace the stock Android software with a third party firmware like Lineage OS, AOKP or Paranoid Android.
As you can notice there are many advantages related with an unlocked HTC U11. But, when discussing about removing factory restrictions you must keep in mind one thing: such process can’t be official. So, gaining root access is not an operation supported by HTC or by Google this being the reason why your phone’s warranty will get void.
Moreover, an unofficial process such as root can be completed only if your smartphone has been already tweaked with two other additional operations. Thus, in a few words, before starting the process from below you should unlock the bootloader of your HTC U11 and you should install a custom recovery image on your phone – in that respect you can use our tutorial for learning how to flash TWRP recovery on the HTC U11.
Then, save your data. I am talking about everything that’s not there from day one: contacts, call logs, texts, images, videos, audio files, market apps, internet settings, calendar info, saved passwords, EFS folder, IMEI / NVRAM data and so on. Do so as during the root process your personal files might get corrupted or even wiped out. So, take a few moments and use your favorite backup and restore solutions and save everything you might use afterwards.
And since we are talking about a backup and considering that TWRP recovery should be already running on your HTC U11, I recommend you to make a Nandroid backup before gaining root access. Through this particular backup operation you can easily save the current Android OS that runs on your phone. Therefore, if something wrong occurs you can choose to use the Nandroid backup package for going back to stock.
Other things should be considered too:
- A computer is required, while your phone and its USB cable should be also near you.
- On your phone you must have developer rights enabled as from Developer Options (within “menu – > settings”) you have to check the USB Debugging field.
- Note: if you don’t see the Developer Options displayed first tap repeatedly on built number, for at least 7 times, for bringing up the ‘you are a developer’ message.
- Your HTC U11 can get soft bricked in case its system gets switched off during the root operation.
- So, as you can already tell, you shouldn’t start the steps from this tutorial without checking out the battery level that’s left on your phone.
- As a general rule, plug in the charger if the power left is currently lower than 50%.
- Of course, don’t use this guide unless you own the HTC U11. Also, keep in mind that this particular root solution can be applied only if your handset is running on an unlocked bootloader and only if TWRP recovery can be used.
How to Easily and Quickly Root the HTC U11
- On your computer, preferable on desktop, download these two files: the magisk app from here and the magisk manager tool from here.
- Power on your smartphone and connect it with your computer via USB cable.
- Select the downloaded files and transfer them on your phone’s internal storage partition.
- Remove the USB cord – the computer is no longer required.
- Reboot recovery mode on your HTC U11.
- From recovery tap on Install and pick up the Magisk file you downloaded before.
- Swipe in order to start the flashing process.
- When done, from main menu of recovery tap on Reboot.
- Now, on your device open a file manager app and navigate towards the folder where you transferred the magisk manager apk. Install this software.
- When done, open the magisk manager app and check the root status.
Congratulations. Root access is now ensured on your HTC U11. You can easily verify if root access is gained by downloading and running the Root Checker app from Google Play. If you have something to share or if you cannot manage to root your phone by using the procedure from above, don’t hesitate and contact us right away – in that respect you can just use the comments field from down below.