Gaining root access on the Huawei Honor 9 is easy as the SuperSU root exploit can be used. Thus, now you can successfully unlock the Android system that runs on your device, if you want to customize and optimize the way in which your phone performs during certain moments. Therefore, keep on reading the lines from below if you want to learn more details about this new root method that can be applied on your own Huawei Honor 9.
SuperSU is a dedicated root exploit that can be flashed on the Android system through a custom recovery image. Once flashed this root exploit will immediately grant root access meaning that all the factory and default restrictions that are running on your phone will be removed – after all, gaining root access is exactly about getting rid of restrictions that are there from day one.
SuperSU is a third party app developed by Chainfire. Therefore, all the credits for this tutorial should go to the already mentioned developer – we are here only to make things clearer for those who are not that experienced.
So, as pointed out, with root ensured you will manage to gain full control over your Honor 9. Afterwards you will be able to tweak the Android UI by using other custom operations and by performing dedicated customizations within the Android system. Among the root advantages I must remind the following ones: the possibility of installing custom ROMs, flashing root-only apps, adding custom kernels and MODs, removing bloatware, downloading apps from other sources than Google Play, or overclocking / undervolting your Android smartphone.
So, if you want all that for yourself, first you will have to apply all the steps from below. But, since this is a complex process and since it is not supported by your OEM, you should be careful in order to successfully make things work without any sort of problems.
And don’t forget about the major downside: the warranty of your Huawei Honor 9 will get void once you will choose to apply the root operation. It should be obvious that you are about to complete an unofficial procedure that will require a third party app which is not developed by Huawei or by Google.
Additionally, a backup should be ensured in order to avoid further unpleasant situations – because your personal files might get corrupted or erased while the root operation is being applied. Thus, shortly, if you have something important stored on your phone you should now back up everything. And along with the classic / general backup operation you should also apply a Nandroid one – through that process you will be able to save the current Android ROM that powers your Huawei Honor 9 (so if something wrong occurs you can go back to stock without problems by using the Nandroid backup package).
At this point you must know that gaining root access on the Huawei Honor 9 by using SuperSU is possible only in certain conditions, as it follows:
- The bootloader of your smartphone must be unlocked – you can learn how to complete this operation by using this dedicated step by step guide. An unlocked bootloader is the first step to make when trying to get rid of pre-loaded factory restrictions.
- A custom recovery image must be used on your phone; as already outlined, the SuperSU root exploit can be installed only by using a custom recovery software. You can learn how to install TWRP recovery on your handset by using or tutorial from here.
Those are the essential pre-requisites that must be applied before gaining root access. Now, since this is going to be a manual operation, there are other tasks that should be applied first, as it’s described during the following list:
- The power that’s left on your smartphone should be at least 50%; otherwise you should plug in the charger before doing anything else.
- In case you choose to skip the charging process you can end up in soft bricking your phone – that’s what usually happens if a device gets turned off while the root operation is still running.
- Of course, a computer or a similar device must be used as there you need to download the SuperSU root exploit.
- On the other hand, verify if Developer Options can be access on your phone – from Menu – > Settings; if not, go to About Phone and tap repeatedly on Built Number. After tapping for 7 or 10 times you will receive the ‘you are a developer’ message.
- From Developer Options make sure that the USB Debugging field is checked; if it’s not, check it by yourself.
- Review all the lines from above before resuming the steps from below and apply this tutorial only if you own the Huawei Honor 9.
How to Root the Huawei Honor 9
- On your computer, preferable on desktop, download the latest SuperSU root exploit for your Huawei Honor 9.
- You can get this file from this page.
- Now, power on your phone and connect it to your computer with the help of the USB cable.
- Select the root file from desktop and transfer it to your device.
- You can unplug the USB cable now as the computer is no longer useful.
- Switch off your device and wait while the shut down process is completed.
- Afterwards, reboot recovery mode on your Honor 9.
- From recovery tap on Install and load the SuperSU package.
- Swipe in order to begin the flashing process.
- When done, go back to main menu of recovery and tap on Reboot.
- If a boot loop is issued, go back to recovery and choose: “Wipe data factory reset”, “wipe cache partition” and “wipe dalvik cache”.
Congratulations; root access is now ensured on your Huawei Honor 9. You can use the Root Checker app from Google Play in order to check the root status on your phone. And since a custom recovery is already flashed you can afterwards test a custom ROM firmware on your device. But, until then don’t forget to let us know how the root operation worked for you – you can get in touch with us easily by using the comments field from down below.