This is the tutorial that you should follow in order to learn how to successfully unlock the Sony Xperia Z1 bootloader.
By applying the bootloader unlocking process for your Xperia Z1 you will open your device to a whole new world, one that is filled with custom ROMs, custom Recoveries such as TWRP or CWM, custom Kernels with tons of new functions and elements that should enrich your Android experience.
Usually, in order to unlock a bootloader you need to have advanced skills, but you can complete such process even if you’re a beginner. Carefully follow all the info that I’ve listed below and you should be ok.
Note that by unlocking the Xperia Z1 bootloader you will delete all data from your device without exception. So, it is highly recommended for you to create backups for all your important files.
In this guide you will find two methods: one that teaches you how to unlock the bootloader using Sony’s official website and an unlock key, and another one that will require you to use your computer and a small app called Flashtool. Unlocking the bootloader of your device either methods will void the warranty.
Choose the method that suits you best.
In case you want to create backups of data from installed apps or to backup SMS text messages, then it would be best to use the Helium tool for Android. Sync Contacts with your default Gmail account, too, so that you won’t lose any important people details.
Now that you know all of the above you’re free to start the unlock bootloader process. Don’t skip any steps listed below and you should be fine.
If you require any help, then you should post in comments.
How to Unlock Xperia Z1 Bootloader using official Unlock Key from Sony
This method will teach you how to unlock the bootloader using an official unlock key and then running several fastboot command lines. Make sure to read the entire process before staring to apply any changes. Also, don’t skip any steps if you want to complete the guide.
The first thing that you need to do is to get your Unlock Key from Sony’s website:
- Go to Sony Mobile Unlock Bootloader page here.
- Click ‘Yes. I’m sure’.
- Agree with the legal terms and then click ‘I Accept’.
- Now you should see a new web page that asks for your name, IMEI number of your device and the e-mail address.
– get the IMEI by dialing *#06# on your Xperia Z1; enter the code in the IMEI field.
– the IMEI number can be also found in Settings> About Device and Status section or, you can check the original box that was shipped with the phone.
- Fill in the form with your name, IMEI and E-mail address.
- Now, open your E-mail account and you should have new mail titled ‘your requested unlock boot loader key’.
- Open the mail and then save the unlock key in a text document. Save the file on your PC in easy to find folder.
Now that you got the bootloader unlock key you will need to use the Command Prompt / Terminal in order to complete the guide. Here’s how to do it:
- Download the Fastboot zip file from here.
- Extract the zip contents and save the files in a folder on your PC.
- Go to the newly created folder and launch a command prompt window.
– press and hold Shift and at the same time you should right-click on an empty folder space.
– select ‘open command window here’ from the right-click context menu.
- Power off the phone and then boot it in Fastboot Mode.
– first connect the USB cable to your PC, then power on the phone and press and hold the Volume Up key on your device, at the same time you can plug the USB cable in the phone.
– fastboot mode should now load when the LED light turns blue.
- In the Command Prompt screen you need to enter the following command line in order to check that the Xperia Z1 is recognized by your PC: fastboot.exe -i 0x0fce getvar version
- Next, enter the following command line but don’t press the ENTER key: fastboot.exe -i 0x0fce oem unlock 0xKEY
- Replace the ‘oxKEY’ text with the Bootloader Unlock key you got from Sony’s official website. Press ENTER after you’re sure that you’ve correctly entered the code.
- When the process completes you should see the OKAY message displayed by the command prompt window.
I hope you’ve managed to unlock the Xperia Z1 bootloader with the info listed above.
If you think that the first tutorial is too hard to follow, then you can try to unlock the bootloader using the second method below.
Unlock the Sony Xperia Z1 Bootloader with Flashtool
- Download the Flashtool program from here.
– grab the versions that works with your computer’s OS.
- Install Flashtool in an easy to access folder.
- After the installation is complete you should launch the Flashtool.exe.
- Click on the ‘BLU’ icon.
- Now, the application will tell you to enter the Xperia Z1 Flashmode.
- It can be done like this:
– power off the Xperia Z1.
– connect the USB Cable in your computer.
– power on the phone, then press and hold Volume Down key and plug in the USB cable in your phone.
- Next, choose ‘Sony Xperia Z1′ from the Flashtool Device Selector screen.
- Flashtool should show the ‘Bootloader Unlock Wizard’ screen.
- Click ‘Unlock’ and start the process.
- When the Xperia Z1 Bootloader is unlocked with success you will see the Flashtool log file.
That’s it, these were all the steps that you had to take.
If you have any other questions use the comments field below.
Note: we cannot be blamed in case you brick your Sony Xperia Z1 using the instructions listed above.