The HTC One has not even been released and developers already started to work on guides and tools that should help users unlock bootloaders, root and flash custom ROMs. Use this guide and you will learn how to successfully unlock your HTC One bootloader easily in under 10 minutes.
Unlocking the bootloader of your HTC One smartphone will allow you to root and install new custom ROMs. This is a guide that should be used by those users who want to tinker with their phone’s OS and free its OS so that you will be able to flash unofficial software for your phone. In order to make sure that you successfully complete this guide, you will need to read the guidelines below before starting the bootloader unlock process. Here’s what you need to know:
- use this guide only with the HTC One smartphone. Do not attempt to unlock any other Android device using the instructions listed in this post.
- If you unlock the bootloader of your HTC One you will lose all the data that is currently stored on it. Every single file will be wiped and you cannot retrieve it.
- Move all your important files to your computer using the USB data cable.
- The phone’s warranty will be voided after the bootloader is unlocked.
- Enable USB debugging option from the Android Developer Options. NOTE: If the Developer Options menu doesn’t appear, then you should open Settings, then About Phone and after that you should tap 7 times on the ‘Build Number’ area. It will unlock the Developer Options for your smartphone.
- If, after you unlock the bootloader, you will receive any new software updates, then you will have to deny their installation as you will end up bricking the phone after the install is complete.
- Make sure to download and install the HTC Sync Manager before getting to the tutorial. Download link HERE.
- Download Fastboot zip from HERE. Extract the zip contents into a folder named Fastboot. It would be great if you’d place the Fastboot folder on your PC desktop menu. It should feature 4 files within after the unzip is complete.
- Disable all the antivirus applications from running on your computer. Such application are usually interfering with the Bootloader Unlock tools.
- Make sure that your phone’s battery has enough power left so that it won’t power off during the process.
- We cannot be blamed in case something goes wrong.
- Read the entire post and if you’re unsure about some of the steps that you have to take, then you should ask for more help in our comments section.
These were all the guidelines that you had to go over before starting to apply the tutorial steps.
How to unlock the HTC One bootloader:
- Go to HTCdev.com and create an account by clicking the REGISTER button.
- Complete the registration and verify your email. Login with your HTC account and then you should open the ‘Unlock Bootloader’ web page.
- Click the drop-down devices list and select ‘All Other Supported Models’. Click ‘Begin Unlock Bootloader’. A pop-up will appear and you need to confirm that you want to unlock the bootloader by clicking YES.
- Also, accept all the legal terms and press ‘Proceed to Unlock Instructions’.
- The new page will tell you to take 4 new steps: switch off your smartphone and make sure that it is disconnected from the PC, after that you should press and hold ‘volume down’ and ‘power’ buttons until the phone restarts into Bootloader Mode.
- Choose the ‘Fastboot’ option and then you can connect your HTC One with your PC.
- Continue to the second HTCdev web page by clicking the Proceed to Step5 button.
- Now, you don’t need to apply the instructions that HTCdev tells you to. Instead, you need to go to the ‘Fastboot’ folder and press and hold SHIFT key, while at the same time you right-click on the white space of the Fastboot folder. Select ‘open command window here’ option from the context menu.
- Windows Command Prompt window will now launch and you need to enter the following command line: fastboot devices
This command will tell you if your device has been detected by your computer. If it wasn’t detected then the command window will not show any info and you will be forced to re-install the HTC Sync Manager and reboot the computer. After that you will need to restart the entire tutorial.
- if the device was detected then you can get to the next step.
- Now, go to the third HTCdev web page using the Proceed to Step 8 button. Don’t close the command prompt window.
- Follow all the steps that are listed on HTCdev third page and click SUBMIT when all actions are done. If you successfully completed all the instructions you will notice that the ‘Token Submitted Successfully!’ alert is now shown on the next web page. An email containing the Unlock Key has been sent to you.
- Check your email account and open the message from HTC. Download the ‘Unlock_code.bin’ file that has been attached to the e-mail.
- When the file is downloaded successfully you should copy and paste Unlock_code.bin file in the Fastboot folder. (fastboot folder should now hold 5 files).
- Go back to the Command Prompt window and enter the following lines in order to unlock the bootloader of your HTC One:
- fasboot flash unlocktoken Unlock_code.bin - your HTC One will get a request to Unlock Bootloader and you simply need to press Volume Up and select YES. Press Power button to confirm.
- The device will now restart and it will complete the factory reset process. Disconnect the phone from PC.
- That’s it, you’ve successfully unlocked your HTC One bootloader using HTCdev site and our tutorial.
You can verify that the phone’s bootloader has been locked by powering off the device. After that you need to boot into Bootloader Mode by pressing Volume down and POWER. In Bootloader mode you will notice the ‘UNLOCKED’ text at the top of your phone’s display, which means that this guide was successfull.
These were all the steps that you had to take. Now you can easily root and install new custom ROMs or any other customization files.
If you cannot complete the tutorial, or in case you have any other questions regarding the instructions that I have listed above, then you should ask fore more help in our comments field below.