You can use this post to learn how to apply the S-OFF exploit for your HTC Droid DNA smartphone. In order to complete this guide you will have to read all the instructions listed here and make sure that you know what you’re doing.
The Facepalm S-OFF is the exploit application that we will use in order to complete this guide, but before you do that you will need to read the preparation guide below and learn how to correctly configure your smartphone.
S-OFF will work only if your device is rooted and superCID ( bootloader unlocked), as otherwise you won’t be able to use all the instructions that I have listed. If your phone has S-OFF then you will be able to install custom ROMs and many other customization files that should improve the overall experience for your HTC Droid DNA.
Here’s what you need to know in order to successfully S-OFF your device:
- This guide will work only with the HTC Droid DNA. Don’t use it with any other smartphone as you will brick them.
- Your device should be rooted and SuperCID, which means that it should be on an unlocked bootloader.
- Make sure to backup all your data before moving to the tutorial. Move the files on your PC so that you’ll be sure that you won’t lose them.
- The HTC Droid DNA drivers for USB should be installed on your PC.
- Also, you will need to use ‘adb commands’ so it would be better for you to have the correct files on your computer.
- Enable USB debugging option.
- Make sure that your device’s battery is fully charged so that the phone won’t power off in the middle of the updating process.
- This is a tutorial for advanced users, we won’t be held responsible in case you lose any data in the process. Also, we cannot be blamed if you brick your phone and you can’t use it after using this guide.
- Read the entire post and make sure that you won’t skip any steps that I’ve listed in the tutorial below.
These were all the guidelines that you had to go over before moving to the tutorial. In case you’re having problems applying the S-OFF exploit then you should ask for more help in our comments field.
How to apply S-OFF HTC Droid DNA:
- Download the ‘patcher’ zip file from HERE. Unzip its contents and save the file on your PC. Make sure that this folder can be accessed easily from the Command Prompt window.
- Connect your HTC Droid DNA to your PC using the USB cable.
- Now you need to find the ‘model id’ by entering in the Command Prompt window the following command: adb shell getprop ro.aa.modelid
- Now you will need to download the following zip. Download link for One X here. Place the file in the same folder as the ‘patcher zip’ in step 1.
- Enter the following command line in Command Prompt window: adb reboot bootloader - Now you have to wait for the phone to enter bootloader mode.
- Enter this code: fastboot oem rebootRUU – wait until the black HTC Screen appears.
- Enter this: fastboot flash zip <filename> – enter the appropiate zip filename from above.
> you should notice this error message: FAILED (remote: 92 supercid! please flush image again immediately)
- Now you need to enter this command: fastboot oem boot – errors might appear but you should wait until the smartphone boots into Android.
- Next. enter the following three command lines to update the security partition with S-off flags. You have to enter one command at a time:
> adb push soffbin3 /data/local/tmp/
> adb shell chmod 744 /data/local/tmp/soffbin3
> adb shell su -c “/data/local/tmp/soffbin3″
- Next, enter adb reboot bootloader
- Now you should have the S-OFF and the device can be booted into normal mode.
These were all the steps that you had to take. I hope that you’ve managed to successfully complete the tutorial and that your HTC Droid DNA has its S-OFF.
If you have any other questions then you can post them in comments or you can take a look at the XDA thread here.
Remember that this is a guide that should be applied only by advanced Android users and you shouldn’t attempt to apply all the changes listed above in case you’re a rookie.