You can never be entirely satisfied with your Android device unless you manage to unlock its true potential. Only then you will be able to experience the best Android experience and the best features, apps and capabilities which, in our case, can improve the overall performance of the new Huawei Honor 9. I know, you might say that your smartphone is already powerful enough, but when discussing about custom enhancements, there is never enough.
So, that’s why, starting with this tutorial you can learn how to initiate a complex tweaking process for your Honor 9. This tweaking operation will include a set of procedures through which you will be able to customize, optimize and personalize the Android core center for obtaining better results from your phone. Therefore, today we will discuss about the bootloader and about how to unlock the program that runs by default on your Huawei Honor 9.
Of course, during the following lines I will review the advantages that are ensured by an unlocked bootloader and I will also tell you everything about the risks which are implied. Additionally, for ensuring that everything will go as planned, I will tell you how to prepare your smartphone for the unlock process and in the end I will detail the steps that must be followed if you are ready to unlock the bootloader of your Huawei branded device.
The bootloader is the small program that is running when you boot, reboot, power off or switch on your Huawei Honor 9. This program is essential as without it your phone cannot run properly. Shortly, the bootloader is there to load the Android OS along with other essential start-up programs and features from the ROM partition into the RAM memory. And, by default, it comes locked with various factory and default restrictions.
As a rule, with a bootloader locked your Android device cannot be tweaked. So, if you are thinking in applying unofficial operations on your phone, first you will have to unlock its bootloader – in that respect, here are the main processes that can be performed once this step by step guide is completed: install a custom recovery image, such as TWRP recovery; gain root access by flashing root exploits, like SuperSU; remove bloatware and other built-in features, add custom kernels and MODs; update with custom ROMs such as Lineage OS, AOKP or Paranoid Android; overclock or undervolt the CPU frequencies; make Nandroid backups; and more.
As you can tell, unlocking the Huawei Honor 9 bootloader is not an official operation. Thus, there are some risks that must be reviewed too. In that matter, do note that you might end up in losing your phone’s warranty if you choose to resume the steps from below – that’s happening because this operation is removing built-in factory / carrier / default restrictions.
Additionally, your data might get corrupted or wiped out during the process that’s explained below. When I talk about your data I am actually referring to everything that’s not there from day one: contacts, call logs, texts, images, videos, audio files, market apps, internet settings, calendar info and so on. Therefore, secure what’s important for you before doing anything else – use your favorite backup and restore apps from Google Play, apply cloud solutions by using built-in apps, or sync your data by using your own Google Account.
As for the actual unlock process, you will need to:
- Make sure that a computer is at your disposal – there, the Honor 9 drivers must be already installed.
- Your smartphone and its official USB cable are both required.
- The Android SDK software must be installed on the computer you are using – check how to install Android SDK on Windows or how to set up ADB on MAC OS X / Linux.
- Developer rights must be enabled on your handset. You can gain such by tapping repeatedly on Built Number – after tapping for 7 or 10 times you will receive the ‘you are a developer’ message.
- Then, by accessing Developer Options (within Menu – > Settings) you have to check the USB Debugging option and the OEM Unlocking field.
- For making things work without any problems you first must charge your Honor 9. This operation is required only if the power left is currently lower than 50%.
- If you skip the charging process your device can get turned off during the unlocking operation. In that situation its Android system might cause different malfunctions such as boot loops, lags, hangs, bugs, screen freeze, total blackouts and more.
- Apply the steps from this tutorial only for the Huawei Honor 9. And, of course, try not to mess things up and follow precisely the guidelines which were explained here.
How to Unlock the Huawei Honor 9 Bootloader
- From your computer access this page and create a Huawei ID by filling in the form.
- Then, navigate towards this page and also fill out the details that are required.
- Note: the IMEI number for your Honor 9 will be asked – you can get it by dialing: *#*#1357946#*#*.
- When done, click on Submit in order to receive the unlock code.
- Save this code on your computer – within a notepad window.
- On your computer now access the Android SDK folder and open a cmd window: press and hold the Shift keyboard key and right click on any blank space; then choose “open command prompt window here”.
- Power on your Huawei Honor 9 and afterwards connect your device with your computer via USB cable.
- Now, in the cmd window enter: adb reboot bootloader. The fastboot mode will be rebooted on your handset.
- Return to the cmd window and type: fastboot oem unlock unlock key. Replace ‘unlock key’ with the actual unlock code you received earlier from Huawei.
- The bootloader will be now unlocked; when that’s done, in the cmd window enter: fastboot reboot.
- If a boot loop is happening, reboot your Android device into recovery mode and from there choose “wipe data factory reset” followed by “wipe cache partition” and reboot.
- That should be all.
Now the bootloader of your Huawei Honor 9 is unlocked. You can therefore test other custom operations on your device. In that respect you should stay close as we will show you how to install TWRP recovery and how to root your smartphone. But, until then, enjoy and don’t forget to share how things worked for you by using the comments field from down below.