It’s been a while since we last had to deal with an OS update released for the Galaxy Mini, so this Gingerbread 2.3.6 firmware is coming perfectly. Samsung decided to launch the same for the European users of the Galaxy Mini, so this version of software named as XWKTN is the official one; you are not dealing with beta tested, or custom ROM firmware. You should be able to receive the update OTA (Over the Air) but if different you must follow this step by step guide for learning how to manually install the Gingerbread 2.3.6 firmware on your Galaxy Mini handset.
It’s good to see that Samsung is thinking on its more regular customers too, as we all know that the Mini is a low profile, budget friendly smartphone. Its performances are indeed low and without anything notable to impress, but it’s perfect for a family type of person or for an entry level customer. Anyway, you can now improve the capabilities of your Android powered phone by getting the Gingerbread update. The firmware is coming with bug fixes and some extra features so you have all the reasons for flashing the same.
As already stated, this is the official version of the software, so by installing it on your Galaxy Mini you will not void the Samsung warranty. Furthermore, if you are a European user you can OTA apply the ROM. If not, the only way for updating your device is by manually performing the operation. Don’t worry as this is exactly what I will be showing you today. But, be aware and don’t follow this tutorial for updating similar devices as you can brick them. The guide is designed to work only for the Galaxy Mini.
Being the official version of the firmware, installing the same won’t make you lose the data stored on your handset. But if you want to be sure, you can backup the Mini. The best way for doing this is by using a few distributed tools that will ease your work. Some tips are being listed below:
- Use backup and restore apps for saving messages.
- Download call log backup and restore for Android.
- Save contacts by syncing with Google.
- Learn how to backup the current ROM.
Then, if you have a rooted Galaxy Mini you must know that the root access will be revoked once you update its system. This is happing also because you are installing an official firmware. You can re-root your device but only by following a step by step guide designed and tested to work for the new XWKTN Gingerbread 2.3.6 OS. If you try to complete other tutorials you will then damage the internal system.
Now, the last part before starting the proper guide is referring to the pre requisites. Without these preparations you can’t manually flash the ROM. So, you must make it through these tasks too.
- Uninstall the Firewall protection from your computer and from your phone.
- Check if your device has enough battery power left (70% recommended); if not go and charge it first.
- Enable USB debugging in your smartphone. You can do this by checking the USB debugging section from the path: “Settings -> Applications -> Development -> USB debugging”.
You can now proceed to the next section of the present tutorial. Read and perform all the steps and don’t try to do things by yourselves.
How to Update Galaxy Mini with Official XWKTN Gingerbread 2.3.6 Firmware
- Download the upload file from here; place it to the computer.
- Download Odin and extract it to the PC.
- Open Odin.
- Take your phone and reboot it.
- While rebooting enter in download mode by holding down the Volume down and Middle Key (Home Key) while powering your device on.
- Then, when in download mode, connect the handset with the PC by using its USB cord.
- On the Odin window the ID:Com section should be yellow.
- On Odin select “OPS” to get “TASS_v1.0.ops”.
- Then click on “One Package” and select the same.
- On the bottom of the page select “One package” and pick the “S5570DXKPD_S5570OLBKPD_S5570DXKPD_HOME.tar.md5” file (the one that you have extracted before).
- Click “Start”.
- Wait until the update is being flashed and don’t press anything.
- In the end the phone will reboot, let it.
- When powered on, you can disconnect it from the computer as you are finally done.
So, that was the easiest way possible for learning how to manually update your Samsung Galaxy Mini S5570 with the official XWKTN Gingerbread 2.3.6 firmware. If you had any problems during the up-detailed procedure share the issues with us so we can help you through. Also tell us if you want other guides for learning Android related operations and we will bring suitable solutions for your desires.