The new Nexus 4 comes with the Android 4.2, and Google decided that the OTA firmware for the Nexus I9250 US Play Store versions should also be released today. This guide is destined to be used by users who don’t want to wait until the OTA notification is sent to their devices. Use this tutorial only if you’re an advanced user.
Use this tutorial to download and flash the update on your Nexus I9250 smartphone. In order to successfully flash this update, you should read the preparation guide below. It contains all the info that you need so that you’ll make sure that the phone you’re about to update is the correct one, and that you will be able to install all files in only 5 minutes.
Do note that this guide will teach you how to manually download and install the Android 4.2 JOP40C firmware update on your Galaxy Nexus phone. You can check for Software Updates in the ‘Settings’ app and then open ‘About device’, click Software Updates. If you’re told that the update is not available then you should use this guide to install Android 4.2 Jelly Bean on your GNex. Here’s what you need to know before moving to the tutorial:
- Use this guide only if your device is a Samsung Galaxy Nexus I9250 or US Play Store version. We aren’t sure that this will work with the GSM International version firmware and that’s why you should only try it with the US Play Store variant; that’s the ‘takju’ version.
- Your phone should be running a stock firmware ROM as otherwise you cannot flash this update. The JZO54K 4.1 Firmware will work with this Android 4.2 update.
- This update can be installed only from the stock recovery image mode. If you’re currently running a custom recovery image (CWM or TWRP), then you should flash a stock one from HERE. Get the variant that corresponds to your device – takju or yakju. Boot the recovery mode after you copy the file to your phone’s internal SD card and then install it just like you would do with any custom ROM.
- Your Galaxy Nexus should not be rooted nor should have any other ROM customization files installed on it.
- Backup all your data and only after that you should move to the tutorial.
- Charge the phone’s battery until it goes over 50%. This will prevent it from powering off during the update.
- Enable USB debugging option on your phone.
- Install the drivers for your device so that the Galaxy Nexus will be recognized by your computer.
- Note that we cannot be held responsible in case your device gets bricked in the process. You should only flash these files if you’re an advanced Android user.
I think that these are all the pre-requisites you had to read before moving to the tutorial. Make sure that you don’t skip any steps listed below and in case you’re having troubles in finishing all the actions, ask for more help in comments.
How to update Galaxy Nexus I9250 US Play Store variant to Official Android 4.2 OTA Firmware:
- Download the JOP40C OTA Android 4.2 Firmware zip from HERE. Don’t unzip the contents of this file.
- Download Fastboot zip file from HERE. This is the one that contains the adb files you need in order to flash the update.
- Extract the contents of ‘Fastboot’ and place them in its own folder that should be saved on your PC desktop. You will have 4 files in it.
- Move the OTA update file to Fastboot folder and now you will 5 files in that directory.
- Power off your smartphone and then boot into Stock Recovery mode. You have to press Volume up + volume down + power in order to boot firstly into Bootloader Mode. Use the volume rocker buttons until the ‘Recovery mode’ text shows up. Press Power button to load this mode.
- An Android and a red exclamation point will show up now. You need to press Power button and at the same time you should press Volume Up to boot the Stock Recovery menu.
- Choose ‘apply update from adb’ option from the stock recovery screen.
- Now you need to connect your Galaxy Nexus to your computer via USB Cable.
- Go to the Fastboot folder and then press SHIFT key and at the same time right-click on the ‘white space’ of the directory. Select ‘open command window here’ from the context menu. Command Prompt window will load now and you should move to the next step.
- Enter the following lines into CMD window:
- adb devices – This command will detect your Galaxy Nexus. Enter the next command if your phone is listed. If otherwise, re-install the phone drivers on your PC.
- adb sideload e587de13bf8a.signed-takju-JOP40C-from-JZO54K.e587de13.zip – This will flash the update.
- In the Command window you should notice the ‘sending: sideload’ text. When it says 100%, the new Android 4.2 update should begin to install.
- When OTA update is flashed successfully you need to go to your phone and select ‘reboot system now’ option.
- The Galaxy Nexus will now restart into Android 4.2 JOP40C Jelly Bean Firmware.
That’s it, you’ve successfully updated your device with the latest Google Android 4.2 firmware.
Test the ROM and tell us in comments all its strong points. Feel free to post any errors or bugs you might find while running it. Also, the comments section can be used to post any extra questions that you might have regarding the Android 4.2 OTA Update.