The CM 11 M9 Snapshot ROM is now available for the HTC One M8 device. Use the instructions below if you want to learn how to install it on your device.
This is a stable CM 11 M9 build and it is much more reliable than the CM 11 Nightlies, so you should give it a try in case you want to test the latest changes added by the CyanogenMod team. In order to learn more about this release you can check the info listed here or here.
Before starting the installation you should take a look at the preparation info below:
- use this tutorial only with the HTC One M8 device.
– do not attempt to flash the files that you will find in this post on any other Android device.
- your phone should be rooted and running the latest CWM / TWRP Recovery image.
- the ‘how-to’ part of this post will tell you to create a NANDROID Backup and apply a Factory Reset.
– don’t skip these steps.
– the NANDROID ROM Backup creates a restore point for your device, it can be used in case the new CM11 M9 ROM doesn’t boot in normal mode.
– Factory Reset has to be applied so that you will get rid of all the files installed by the previous ROM on your device.
– ‘factory reset’ will not delete any data from internal / external storage.
- if you want to backup data from installed apps you might want to use Helium for Android.
– Contacts data and People details can be synced with your Gmail account.
- this is a guide that should be applied by advanced Android users.
- read the entire guide and make sure not skip any steps.
- the battery charge level of your phone should be over 40%, it will prevent the device from switching off during CM 11 M9 installation.
- if you cannot complete the installation then you should use the comments field to ask for extra help.
Since you’ve read all of the above you can continue to the next part of this post and learn how to update the device with a custom ROM.
How to install CM 11 M9 Android 4.4.4 ROM for HTC One M8:
- Download the ‘CM 11 Snapshot M9 M8′ zip file from here.
- Download Gapps for this Android 4.4.x ROM from here.
- Connect your device to your PC and move both zip files to its internal storage.
– after the files are copied you can disconnect the device from PC.
– do not unzip the contents.
– if you’ve downloaded the files on your device, then you can skip this step.
- Switch off your device now.
- Next, boot the HTC One M8 in Custom Recovery Mode.
– note that this guide should work with any custom recovery image.
- Create a new NANDROID Backup of the already installed ROM:
– CWM: select ‘backup and restore’.
– TWRP: press Backup.
– name the file and confirm.
- Now you need to apply the Factory Reset:
– CWM: select ‘wipe data/ factory reset’.
– TWRP: press Wipe.
– confirm the process.
- Start the installation of CM 11 M9 Snapshot for HTC ONE M8:
– CWM: select ‘install zip from sdcard’, then ‘choose zip from sdcard’.
– TWRP: press Install.
- Find the new ROM zip file and confirm the installation.
- After the CyanogenMod 11 M9 ROM is installed you will need to flash Gapps zip, too. Use the same options as in step 8 to find the ROM zip file.
- Reboot the HTC One M8 in normal mode after all files are flashed successfully.
– note that the first boot process will take a while before it loads all the new CyanogenMod KitKat 4.4.4 files.
- Use the Google account info or create a new CM profile in order to take control over your device once again.
These were all the steps that you had to take in order to complete the installation.
If the process fails, then you should try to repeat the whole guide more than once and make sure that you don’t skip any steps. Also, use the comments field if you need more help with the tutorial.