Just a week after its official release, the HTC One X seems to be attracting a lot of developer attention. A couple of days ago we presented the LeeDroid custom ROM for the One X and now it is time for yet another well established and veteran ROM to make its way to the flagship device. The ROM in question this time is InsertCoin X and it is the brainchild of a developer known as baadnews, and unlike other ROMs out there it has been present on the big scene since the glory days of the HTC Desire.
Before installing the InsertCoin X ROM on your brand new HTC One X there are a couple of things you have to know. The first of them is that you will void your warranty if you choose the custom ROM road, and the second most important thing is that any software, no matter by who it is made presents some risk of turning your device into a very expensive brick. Apart from these two concerns you shouldn’t worry about other aspects, but we should also preset our disclaimer notice: This software is not our creation so we must warn you that you cannot hold us responsible for any damage that might occur to your device by following the procedures in this guide. However, we will try to help you sort out any glitches or problems that might arise by following the steps in this guide to the extent our knowledge limits us.
As the InsertCoin X is a ROM made by an experienced developer, the only thing that remains to be noted is that the creator of it does not yet own an HTC One X. The official notice of this ROM mentions this fact, but it should not be of grave concern, since the basis on which the ROM is made is a very good one. You can find the official release notes here.
Below we have made a list of the most important features the InsertCoin X comes with, so make sure you check them out before deciding to stick with it:
- Inital ONE X Release
- Based on RUU ENDEAVOR U ICS 4 HTC Europe 1.26.401.2
- Deodexed, recompressed and ZipAligned
- Rooted with the latest compatible Superuser apk and binary by chainfire
- Unsecured boot.img (flashed with the ROM)
- Persistent ADB enabled
- Added init.d run-parts support
- Added busybox, bash, nano, sysrw & sysro
- Disabled package signature checking – thx leedroid
- Fancy keyboard enter animation – thx leedroid
- Disabled scrolling caches – thx leedroid
- Improved Agps for Europe – thx MarcoHD
- optional Sony Bravia
- optional Orange uk Wifi Calling
- optional Wakeup by vol key
Unfortunately the developer of this ROM has not posted any screen shots of its creation so you will have to update your One X with it to see how it looks like.
As any early ROM, this one also relies on the official software, but in this case the official software seems to be way ahead of the competition, thanks to the happy mix between Android 4.0.3 ICS and Sense 4.0. As far as we can tell, this ROM is bringing vast improvements in key areas of the official ROM, but it not providing a totally new experience.
The next major area in our guide will be covering backing up your personal data. Updating your stock HTC One X with a custom ROM means that all of your personal data stored on the device will be wiped out, so you are advised to use the programs and procedures below to save that data and later restore it. Normally, you could use the official HTC Sync software, but in this case it will not work because we are talking about a custom made bit of software.
- Text messages – We will back them up with the following application : SMS Backup & Restore
- Phone Contacts – You can simply synchronize them to your Gmail account or export them to the micro SD card as a .vcf file
- Call Log – We will use the following application to backup your call log : Call Log Backup and Restore
- Pictures, Music, Videos, and other files – Simply copy them to your microSD card.
- Internet & MMS Settings – Write down all the settings from this path “Applications > Settings > Wireless and Network > Mobile Networks > Access Point Names”
Next up, we will be talking about some requirements your HTC One X must meet before starting the updating procedure:
- You need to make sure that your HTC One X is rooted and has the ClockWork Mod Recovery installed. If you don’t know how to do any of the above please check our guide here.
- Your One X must be charged to at least 60% in order to prevent it from accidentally powering off during the procedure.
And now for the part you were all waiting for, the actual updating process. While it may seem somewhat complicated to some of you, be sure to follow the steps in the correct order and you should have no problems.
- We will begin by downloading this InsertCoin X ROM.
- At the second step you will have to move the Zip file to the root of your HTC One X’s internal memory card. By root I mean that you will place it directly on the card, without placing it in any additional subfolders.
- After this you will have to power off your HTC One X and restart it in recovery mode. The easiest way to do this is to do so is to press the Volume Down button + Power Button and wait for the HBOOT screen to appear. Once it has appeared do not touch the device for a couple of seconds, until some green text flashes. After this simply select the Recovery option by navigating with the Volume Up and Volume Down keys, and press the power button again. The HBOOT screen will look almost like the one below:
- The fourth step is very important. This is where we will make a nandroid backup of your device by selecting the Backup and Restore option and on the next screen selecting again Backup. This is your backup in case something goes wrong during the update. After finishing this step please return to the main menu of the Recovery.
- Next up you will have to do some cleaning up to prepare your One X for the new InserCoin X ROM. You will have to select the Wipe data/factory reset & Wipe Cache partition options from the recovery and wait for them to finish.
- The second to last step is the one where the InsertCoin X ROM will actually be installed. All you need to do is to select the option: Install zip from sd card > Choose zip from sd card, and then choose the InsertCoin ROM Zip file that you have placed on the internal memory card.
- And now we have finally arrived at the last step in our updating procedure. You will just have to wait this out, or at least until the ROM is installed. After it finishes you will have to return to the main menu of the Recovery and select the Reboot now option to restart your One X.
This first boot of the InsertCoin X ROM can take quite a while longer than a normal start up, so please don’t pull out the battery and just wait 5 to 10 minutes for it to start. If it doesn’t start after 10 minutes you should restart your device into Recovery mode and re try the steps above. If you still can’t get it to work please write us a line below and we will try to help you. It might also be a good idea to restore that earlier nandroid backup just to get your One X up and running again.
If all went well you should now have a HTC One X running on one of the best custom ROMs available and you should enjoy the new speed boost and extra features. Although your quad core device might not seem faster in the first few minutes after the ROM has been installed pelase be patient as it takes a while for it to accommodate the new software.