How to Update HTC Vivid with a custom Android 4.0.3 ICS ROM
Lately there seems to be a frenzy for upgrading older smart phone to the latest Android 4.0 ICS and the HTC Vivid is no exception. Although there is still no word about an official update from HTC, a couple of enthusiastic developers have managed to put together an almost fully functional Android 4.0 ICS custom ROM for the Vivid. While you can still expect a couple of bugs here and there, you should rest assured as this particular custom ROM is fully suited to handle day to day usage. As with any custom ROM, the bugs will be eventually sorted out as development of the software progresses.
If you choose to update your decide with any custom made software, you are in for a nasty surprise. The warranty of your HTC Vivid will be voided by doing so, but you do have quite a lot to gain when compared to the downsides. the only problem is that you also have to take into consideration our disclaimer if you are set on following this guide: As with any software that is not our own creation, we must warn you that you cannot hold us responsible for any damage that might occur to your device by following the procedures in this guide. However, we will try to help you sort out any glitches or problems that might arise by following the steps in this guide to the extent our knowledge limits us. Rest assured that this procedure has been tested prior to release so it should work nicely.
Be sure to check out the photos below to get a feel of what the new interface of the Sense 4.0 Custom ROM will look like:
The first part of this tutorial consists of the steps needed to be taken before the actual flashing process. While these steps are not mandatory, we strongly advise you to follow them, as they mostly refer to backing up the information that is already on your device. This is done in order to prevent the loss of any kind of personal data if anything should go wrong.
- Text messages – Install this app: SMS Backup & Restore
- Phone Contacts – These can be synced via your Gmail/Google account or by exporting them to the micro SD card
- Call Log – Install this app: Call Log Backup and Restore
- Pictures, Music, Videos, Files etc.– Copy to internal memory card
- Internet & MMS Settings – Backup all the settings from this path “Applications > Settings > Wireless and Network > Mobile Networks > Access Point Names”
You must also do the following in order to best prepare your hardware for this update:
- Charge your device to full or to a minimum of 60% to ensure that the phone will not power off during the install process.
- Enable the USB debugging in your HTC Vivid. This can be done from the following: Settings > Applications > Development > USB debugging. The USB Debugging option should be ticked.
- Turn Off all the antivirus as well as Firewall tools in your computer as these tools tend to interrupt the process of firmware update.
- Be sure to have a rooted device before proceeding to the next part of this tutorial.
This second part will be covering the updating procedure and while it may seem a little bit hard at the beginning you should have no problems with the actual process if you carefully follow the steps below in order:
- The first step is as easy as downloading this HTC Vivid ICS Android 4.0 Package to your computer and then copying it to the root of your HTC’s Vivid memory card. Be sure not to place the file in any subfolders. Just to be sure also use the original USB cable.
- The second step is a bit trickier and it involves rebooting your HTC Vivid into bootloader mode. In order to do so, you must first turn off your phone and then start it up by pressing the Volume Down Key and the Power Key simultaneously. You might not get it right at first, but before going any further you need to be in this menu. It is also worth noting that after you entered this menu you should wait for a couple of seconds before pressing any other keys. Then just select the recovery option and the phone will start in the Recovery mode.
- The third step consist of backing up the existing rom via the Backup and Restore->Backup and then selecting the Wipe data/factory reset & Wipe Cache partition options in order to clear some important areas needed by the new custom ROM.
- The fourth step is the one that actually installs the Android 4.0 ICS custom ROM. All you need to do is select Install zip from sd card > Choose zip from sd card, and then choose the “ICS Android 4.0 Package for HTC Vivid zip file which you have conveniently placed in the root folder of the microSD card.
Now you will have to wait 5 to 10 minutes for the software to do its trick. After a successful flash, the HTC Vivid will boot to either the recovery console or to the normal starting phase. If the smart phone does not reboot in the normal way all you have to do is select the reboot option from the recovery menu and then simply wait for it to start. Mind you, the first boot might take a bit longer than usual because the software needs to do some additional tinkering.
In the unlikely case you encounter problems during flashing you should follow the steps above again and re apply the firmware update. This is also valid in case you get the dreaded boot loops. In any case, you might want to restore that nandroid backup you made earlier before attempting to redo the steps above.
You can make sure that the update was successful if the entry in the Settings > About Phone > Firmware Version menu says Android 4.0 ICS. If it does say that then congratulations as you have just updated your HTC Vivid to the latest version of Android.