Even though its successor is already well on its way to a store near you, the LG Optimus 3D still has its pride as one of the first widely available 3D smartphones out there. As it was also powered by the Android platform it has also received some developer attention, and thanks to one in particular LG Optimus 3D users can enjoy the latest ThaiZ v2.7.1 Custom ROM. Unlike the official Rom which has not received proper support in quite some time, the ThaiZ v2.7.1 Custom ROM will bring you some of the features currently present on the Prada line of the South Korean manufacturer.
I am sure that by now most of you have already rooted and installed a custom ROM of your own choosing on your Optimus 3D devices, but in case you have not done so this article will provide you with an easy and secure way of updating your Optimus 3D with the ThaiZ v2.7.1 Custom ROM. As with any other ROM update out there, the risks involved are minimal, but I would also like you to read and accept our disclaimer before proceeding: This software is not our creation so we must warn you that you cannot hold us responsible for any damage that might occur to your device by following the procedures in this guide. However, we will try to help you sort out any glitches or problems that might arise by following the steps in this guide to the extent our knowledge limits us.
Now that you have understood what this updating process involves you can glimpse upon the feture list of this ROM in the following lines:
- Base: V21d + LG Prada V10h official.NEW
- Kernel: ThiaiZ Custom Kernel V0.5
- Everything from LG is still there. (No Gulliver’s book + O3D LGHome.apk)
- 3D converter.
- Deodexed, Zipaligned
- LG Framework, LG Prada Launcher and SystemUI are optimized for speed and memory.
- Some LG apps and widgets also optimized for speed and memory.
- LG Prada launcher.
- LG Prada IME.
- LG Prada network usage widget.
- LG Prada Camera app with ZOOM.
- LG Spectrum in touch widget.
- LG Spectrum Desk clock.
- LG Spectrum Digital clock widget.
- New Ringtones,Message tones and Alarm tones.
- WIFI Killer + LG O2X Weather Widget + FM Radio +Onlive + Root browser (Just free apps on my ROM)
- Changed Bootanimation.NEW
- Original 3D games (Nova,Golf2,Asphalt6) are patched to be installed on SDCARD.
- My Gingerbread theme in it.
- New wallpapers (LG ones are gone).
- Sony Bravia Engine.
- Sony XPLOD Engine.
- HTC Beats.NEW
- ThiaiZ Smoothness tweak V0.3 (Working together with LG Prada launcher, making it very smooth).
- Increased I/O reading speed with performance pack from O2X.
- Removed software (CPU) rendering – full PowerVR SGX 540 (GPU) rendering.
- SIP over 3G.
- MMs.apk tweaked.
- Init.d new tweaks (zipalign on boot, RAM management, NEW SDbooster=128kb).
- RTL Support.NEW
As you can see, the ThaiZ v2.7.1 Custom ROM comes with numerous improvements over the original software, but they do come at a price. In order to properly install this ROM you must Root your Optimus 3D, which in turn means that you will lose your warranty. If this is not an issue then you can simple move on the next part of our guide where we will make sure that your personal data will not be erased by the ThaiZ v2.7.1 Custom ROM update.
We will be using some third-party apps and procedures in order to safely backup your personal data stored on your Optimus 3D and all you have to do after the update is to install the apps again and restore your stuff. We are not using the official software provided by LG because it does not recognize the ThaiZ v2.7.1 Custom ROM. We have also added a couple of requirements your Optimus 3D must meet in order to guarantee a safer updating process:
- Text messages – We will back them up with the following application : SMS Backup & Restore
- Phone Contacts – You can simply synchronize them to your Gmail account or export them to the micro SD card as a .vcf file
- Call Log – We will use the following application to backup your call log : Call Log Backup and Restore
- Pictures, Music, Videos, and other files – Simply copy them to your microSD card.
- Internet & MMS Settings – Write down all the settings from this path “Applications > Settings > Wireless and Network > Mobile Networks > Access Point Names”
- Be sure to charge your LG Optimus 3D to full or to a minimum of 60% to ensure that the phone will not power off during the updating process. If it does power off there is a high risk of it turning into an expensive brick.
- We have saved the most important requirement for last: You need to be running a rooted ROM before proceeding and you also need to have the Clockwork Mod recovery installed.
Next up we will be covering the whole updating process. While it may sound complicated to some of you, all you have to do in order to successfully update your Optimus 3D with the ThaiZ v2.7.1 Custom ROM is to follow the steps below in order and to make sure you do not skip any of them. In either case it would be a good idea to make a nandroid backup from the ClockWork Mod Recovery just to be on the safe side:
- We will start by downloading this ThaiZ v2.7.1 Custom ROM firmware Zip archive to your computer.
- Once the download has finished you will have to move the Zip archive to the root folder of your smartphone’s memory card. The root folder means the one that shows when you open the card on your computer, and also be sure not to place it in any additional sub folders.
- In this step you will have to power off your LG Optimus 3D and restart it in Recovery mode. The easiest way to do this is to do this is to press the Volume Down button and the 3D button simultaneously and then press the Power button after the device has been shut down. If you see a black screen with many lines of text on it and a ClockWork Mod logo on the top you are good to go to the next step in our guide.
- Next up you will have to do some cleaning up before installing the ThaiZ v2.7.1 Custom ROM. You will have to select the Wipe data/factory reset & Wipe Cache partition options from the Recovery and wait for them to finish.
- The fifth step is where you will actually apply the update and in order to do so you must select the option: Install zip from sd card > Choose zip from sd card, and then choose the ThaiZ v2.7.1 Custom ROM firmware Zip that you have previously placed on your microSD card.
- In the last step all you have to do is wait for your Optimus 3D to finish updating and when it finally does you will have to go to the main menu of the Recovery by pressing the back key or selecting the back option from the menu and restart your device in the normal way by selecting the Reboot now option.
Every time you install a new update or a new custom ROM on your device, the first time it start will take a little bit longer, so be sure not to pull out the battery from your Optimus 3D until at least 30 minutes have passed.
If after 30 minutes your Opdimut 3D is still not in the normal home screen you can remove the battery, restart your device into Recovery mode and re-try the steps above. If you still can’t get it to work please write us a line below and we will try to help you. It might also be a good idea to restore that nandroid backup you made earlier just to get the Optimus 3D up and running again.
If everything has worked as intended you should now have a brand new ThaiZ v2.7.1 Custom ROM running on your Optimus 3D, and you can start enjoying the included 3D games and the other newer content in 3D.