How to update LG Optimus Me P350 to Cyanogen Mod 7.2 Firmware
Time has come for LG Optimus Me P350 users as in the due course of this article we will be checking out in detail on how to update your device with the Cyanogen Mod 7.2 firmware. Please note that this is not an official firmware update from the house of LG Electronics but is a custom ROM firmware which is released by the third party developers. In the process of this article we will be checking out on what are the features of this Cyanogen Mod 7.2 firmware along with the list of pre requisites you need to follow before you could proceed to the detailed tutorial on how to apply this. Please be informed that since it’s not a fully stable version yet and is a release candidate, there will be some bugs which we will be solved in the coming versions.
This tutorial will help you update your LG Optimus Me p350 with the Cyanogen Mod 7.2 firmware. This is a customer ROM firmware released by third party sources, and not some update from official developers over at LG Electronics. But hey, if we all played by the rules life won’t be so fun right? And by fun, in this particular case, I mean the add-ons that installing the 7.2 Cyanigen firmware will enable on your LG Optimus Me p350, which are (list inclused areas that work with the firmware, because there is one small item that does not)
- Better Bluetooth
- USB tether with stock app
- Haptic feedback (thanks to cjr123)
- Camera preview & video
- Headset button
- Offline charging
- Calling & SMS
Before you commence the rooting process of your Sony Tablet P, please note than rooting the OS on your device may void the warranty. Any issues or damage that may occur due to rooting your device by following this guide will not hold Android.gs responsible.
Things to take care off before you root your LG Optimus:
1. Backup all the data on your phone. Data loss is not probable, but may occur on some instances. Here’s how to back-up different types of data you may have on your Android tablet:
- Text messages – Use the “SMS Backup & Restore app”,
- Phone Contacts – Sync with Gmail, this is probably on already on your device, but it’s worth the effort to double check:
- Pictures, Music, Videos, Files etc.– Copy to internal / External SD Card,
- Internet & MUMS Settings – Backup all the settings from the path “Applications > Settings > Wireless and Network > Mobile Networks > Access Point Names”
2. Disable antivirus and firewall software that may be running on your PC during setup, as well as uninstalling antivirus apps from yourLG Optimus Me P350. This will ensure the implicit operations run smoothly;
3. Make sure your LG is running a rooted OS or that you have root access;
4. Battery life needs to last long enough for the device to have a family, children and professional achievement and then retire to Florida. Neah, kidding, be sure to have it charged at 60%.
5. Last but not at all least, ladies and gents, in an orderly fashion head on to these two here links and download the Cyanogen Mod 7 Update Package & Google Apps. Unzipp these in an easy to remember location, like the sturdy old desktop.
The actual HOW TO update the ROM firmware part
Enable the USB debugging on LG Optimus Me P350. Go to “Settings > Applications > Development > USB debugging”. The USB Debugging option should be ticked. You can refer to the below image for more details on how to activate the USB Debugging in your device.
Copy the contents of the above mentioned archives (the one you already downloaded to an easy-to-remember location) and, connecting your LG with the USB cable (original please!) copy them to any folder on the SD. Again, this should be a folder you remember easily and which is not located too deep in the folder parths.
Next, remove the connected USB Cable and power off the device. Now you will enter the LG into recovery mode. On the Optimus Me P350 this can be accessed by pressing and holding Volume Down + Call Button + Power Button. If the device starts in the normal mode then you need to again retry the process of entering the recovery mode.
Good. Now, in the recovery mode menu, select “Clear Storage” & “Wipe Cache Data” which will clear off all the cache data which is there in the phone. Next, select “install zip from SD Card” > “Choose zip from SD Card” and you can pick the Cyanogen Mod 7.2 Zip file which you have placed in your LG Optimus Me P350′s memory card. But wait! We have them Google apps to add also in the system, remember to choose the “Google Apps” Zip file which you have placed in the device as well.
The device will reboot a couple of times during the proces. This is similar to rooting, if you are familiar with that procedure. Once your LG is up to go, the Cyanogen Mod 7.2 Firmware will be installed and ready to use, and so will the Google Play (new app market). In case your device lands back to the recovery mode screen, select “++++ Go Back ++++” and select “reboot system now” to restart the device in Cyanogen Mod 7.2 firmware.
NOTE: If the updating to Cyanogen Mod 7.2 Firmware process on your LG Optimus Me P350 was interrupted for any reasons, go thru the steps again to make sure your device will be running properly.
We trust you find this guide on how to install the appreciated Cyanogen Mod 7.2 Firmware on your LG simple to follow, and invite you to use the comments section for help or feedback.