The Android 4.0 ICS public beta for Meizu MX is now here and fortunately it works very well, though it doesn’t come with all of Meizu’s features. Neither Meizu backup or cloud services will work, so we recommend to backup your device using external software, though this should not be an issue. Also the firmware doesn’t come with Meizu’s customizations, as it is a stock Android ICS version.
Before you upgrade your Meizu MX to firmware version V1037 you have to ensure that you won’t lose your data or brick your device, so please check the following:
- Back up your data
- Make sure the battery is full
- Be ready to encounter some bugs, as it’s still in a beta stage
How to backup your contacts
You might want to backup your contacts before flashing the ICS on your Meizu MX so you don’t lose them and there are three methods of doing it:
- Go to contacts -> Import and export contacts -> Export to SD card.
- Use Google Gmail to sync your contacts ( it’s the recommended option )
- Use Pea Pod to backup both your contacts and SMS messages. It’s an application that can be found on the Google Play Android market.
How to update Meizu MX to ICS
After you read carefully everything from above, please follow every step and make sure not to do anything wrong.
- Backup your data following the above methods.
- Download the ICS firmware for your Meizu MX from here or here.
- Copy the firmware to your device by connecting it to your computer.
- Shutdown your phone.
- Boot your phone by pressing the shutdown and volume up buttons simultaneously.
- Check “clear you data” to clear all your data from the Meizu MX ( it is recommended, otherwise you might encounter more bugs and force-closes ).
- Tap the “upgrade” button.
- Go to system settings and check if your android version is 4.0.3.
- If it is, then you are done. You are now running Android ICS on your Meizu MX smartphone !
Please note that this is still a beta firmware and it might come with flaws or bugs. Also Meizu backup and restore does not work, along with Find my phone, flyme, keep awake.