This tutorial will teach you how to install a new Android update for the US and International Samsung Galaxy S5 smartphone models.
Samsung Galaxy S5 phone has been released in April 2014 and the stock Android version was set to KitKat 4.4.2 and there will be tons of other new firmware versions that will be launched, so you can follow the info in this post if you want to know how to apply an update for Galaxy S5.
Samsung Galaxy S5 packs a 5.1-inch Super AMOLED Full HD Display with Corning Gorilla Glass 3 protection, fingerprint sensor, heart rate sensor, TouchWiz UI, a 2.5 GHz quad-core Snapdragon 801 CPU, 2GB RAM, Adreno 330 GPU, 16GB and 32GB models available, storage expandable up to 128GB via external microSD, microUSB 3.0, wireless charging, 2800 mAh battery.
Use this tutorial if you want to know how to successfully install a brand new Android firmware for your Galaxy S5 with three different methods.
The first method will teach you how to install the update using the phone’s interface when the update is sent OTA (over-the-air) to your device, the second method will have to use a Samsung KIES program. The 3rd method will teach you that besides the official channel updates there is an unofficial one that allows you to flash any new Android OS for your Galaxy S5 using ODIN app and the firmware zip file of the OS from SamMobile.
This tutorial can be used by both beginners and advanced users, it works with any variant of Samsung Galaxy S5 model, so you shouldn’t worry if you’ve bought an US or International model. However, if you use this guide then you should know that you’re using it at your own risk and, we won’t be held responsible in case you will brick the phone nor in case you lose any important data in the process.
How to update Samsung Galaxy S5 with a new OTA Android update:
This tutorial is simple to follow as it tells you what you have to do when an official update notification is received by your Galaxy S5.
The new update is usually sent over-the-air and you can follow the instructions below in order to learn how to complete the process:
- open the Notification bar and tap on the new Android OS update alert.
- read the changelog and make sure that you’re on a wi-fi connection before starting the download.
- confirm the download and afterwards confirm the installation.
- the phone will reboot and install the new firmware.
- after the installation is complete your Galaxy S5 will boot in normal mode and that should be all.
Note: if Samsung announces that the new official update was launched, but the notification hasn’t arrived yet then you can use the steps below and check for it yourself:
- open Settings.
- go to More.
- open About Device.
- Go to Software Update.
- Press the Check Now button to look if there is any new Android OS update available for your Galaxy S5.
- if there is one, then you need to click Download.
- wait for the download to complete, then confirm installation.
After the installation is complete your Galaxy S5 phone will reboot in normal mode. Check and see if the update was completed in Settings> More> About Device> Build Number – if the build number corresponds to the update, then you’re done and the installation was successful.
How to update Galaxy S5 using Samsung KIES software:
In case the OTA update notification didn’t reach your device and there are no new files available at the Software Update screen, then you can check for new updates using Samsung KIES program.
Before using this tutorial you have to make sure that the Samsung USB Drivers are installed on your computer.
- Download the Samsung KIES app for your PC.
- Install KIES.
- Use the USB Cable and connect your Galaxy S5 to your computer. Wait until all the Samsung drivers are installed and the device gets recognized by your PC.
- If new updates are available, then Samsung KIES will alert you via pop-up.
- Click on ‘Update’ and then you should wait until all the new files are successfully flashed on your device.
- After the download of the new files is finished you should confirm the update by pressing the ‘Start Upgrade’ button.
Wait until all files are installed and reboot the Galaxy S5 afterwards.
How to update Samsung Galaxy S5 using ODIN tool:
This is a method that is usually used by more advanced users, as it requires a specific set of skills such as booting Download Mode and making sure that the phone is recognized by the computer before starting the process.
Also, by flashing a new ROM update via ODIN, then you need to know that you will risk losing important data or even brick the phone if you flash the wrong firmware file.
ODIN is a tool that works only for Samsung devices and it usually sets a bridge between your Galaxy S5 and your PC, as it allows you to send new Android OS update files and then flash them on your phone without entering any command lines or using other types of complex tools.
Despite all that, ODIN is not that easy to use and you have to make sure that you know what you’re doing every time you try to use it.
The new Android firmware update file that you’re about to download match your Galaxy S5 model number. If the firmware doesn’t match the phone, then you cannot complete the update and the device will get bricked in the process. Double check every time you download a firmware file to see if it matches your device’s model version.
Make sure that the Samsung USB Drivers are installed on your computer before using ODIN.
Here’s how to flash an update via ODIN:
- Download ODIN3 v3.09 or ODIN3 v3.07.
- either one should work with your device.
- Extract the contents of ODIN and save the files in a single folder on your PC.
- Next, you have to download the official Samsung Android firmware file.
- we are usually getting these files from SamMobile’s website.
- make sure that you create an account in order to be able to download any firmware updates.
- check the phone’s model number before downloading any new files.
- The Android firmware update zip you downloaded will have to be extracted.
- you will get a .tar.md5 file.
- Launch ODIN executable on your computer.
- Boot the Samsung Galaxy S5 into Download Mode.
- Connect your phone to your PC via USB cable.
- wait for ODIN to recognize your phone and then continue with the installation.
- Press the PDA button for ODIN 3.07 or the AP button for ODIN 3.09.
- Browse your PC for the firmware .tar.md5 update file and load it in ODIN.
- Press START to begin the update.
These were all the steps that you had to follow in order to learn how to update your Galaxy S5 with a brand new Android OS version.
Use the comments field below in case you require any extra help.
Remember that Samsung is usually launching new updates for their devices in phases, so you might experience some delays whenever a new firmware is announced, delays that will last from a few days and up to a few months in some situations.