How to Update the Epic 4G Touch with Leaked Android 4.0.3 ICS FD16
While there is still no official announcement of the time when the Samsung Epic 4G Touch will get its share of Android 4.0.3 ICS, leaked builds continue to appear from various sources. This latest leak bears the number FD16 and it seems to be the best one so far. It does address most of the bugs in the earlier leaks and does not introduce new ones, but still it does require root access in order to be applied.
Speaking of root access, this latest FD16 leak has been rooted prior to being made into a flashable zip, so if you just read the lines below you will be able to easily update your Samsung Epic 4 G Touch to the latest Android 4.0.3 ICS build for it without losing the benefits of rooted access. You will however need to have ClockworkMod Recovery installed on your Epic 4G Touch in order to apply this update, so if do not, make sure you gain it before proceeding any further.
The only thing left for us to show you is our disclaimer note: This software is not our creation so we must warn you that you cannot hold us responsible for any damage that might occur to your device by following the procedures in this guide. However, we will try to help you sort out any glitches or problems that might arise by following the steps in this guide to the extent our knowledge limits us. By proceeding further into this guide you have understood the risks above and have accepted our disclaimer.
Installing any custom Rom, even an official tweaked one means that you will lose all of your personal data that is currently stored on your Epic 4G. In order to prevent this we have made up a short list of third party procedures and applications that can be found in the Google Play Store that will help you backup and restore all of your personal data once the update is finished. Read the list below to see what goes where:
- Text messages – We will back them up with the following application : SMS Backup & Restore
- Phone Contacts – You can simply synchronize them to your Gmail account or export them to the micro SD card as a .vcf file
- Call Log – We will use the following application to backup your call log : Call Log Backup and Restore
- Pictures, Music, Videos, and other files – Simply copy them to your microSD card.
- Internet & MMS Settings – Write down all the settings from this path “Applications > Settings > Wireless and Network > Mobile Networks > Access Point Names”
From here on you will still have to meet a couple of requirements that are in place for the safety of your Epic 4G Touch:
- Be sure to charge your Epic 4G Touch to full or to a minimum of 50% to ensure that the phone will not power off during the updating process. If it does power off there is a high risk of it turning into an expensive brick.
- And as we said earlier you need to have a Samsung Epic 4G Touch model SPH-D710 rooted and with ClockworkMod Recovery installed in order to successfully update to the latest ICS leak.
With all of these requirements and advices carefully understood it is now time for us to move to the more delicate part of our guide, the one where we will present the updating process broken into a number of easy to follow steps. While the procedure may seem fairly easy, we must warn you that you should not skip any steps:
- The first thing we are going to do is to download this ICS Firmware Package and save it to your computer.
- After this you are going to have to transfer the Zip file from the first step to the root of your Epic 4G’s internal memory card. Make sure not to place it into any sub folders as you will have to search for it later.
- Now you will have to restart your Epic 4G Touch into recovery mode, and the easiest way to do this is to select the Reboot into Recovery option from the shut down menu.
- Once you have arrived in the ClockworkMod Recovery it is highly recommended that you perform a nandroid backup. You can make such a backup by going to: Backup and Restore –> Backup and then waiting for about 2 to 5 minutes for it to be created.
- Next up is some routine cleaning that is needed by the new ROM. You will have to select the Wipe data/factory reset & Wipe Cache partition options from the recovery and wait for them to finish before moving on.
- This next step is very important as it is the one where you will update your current Rom with the rooted ICS one. All you have to do is to select the options: Install zip from sd card -> Choose zip from sd card, and then choose the Zip archive you have previously placed in the root of your Epic’s internal memory card.
- And we have finally arrived at the last step. For this one you will only have to wait for the update to complete after which you will have to go back to the main menu of the ClockworkMod recovery and select the Reboot now option.
Since you have installed a completely new ROM you Epic 4G Touch might take a while to start for the first time after the update, so do not get impatient if it takes 10 minutes. If however it takes more than 30 minutes you should restore the nandroid backup made earlier from the ClockworkMod recovery and start the last part of this guide all the way from the beginning.
If everything has gone smoothly you should now have an Epic 4G Touch powered by the latest Android 4.0.3 leak, which should give you a pretty good impression about how well the latest Android OS stacks with the hardware inside your smart phone.