How to Update the HTC Droid Incredible 2 with Cyanogen Mod 9 ICS
While Samsung devices seem to be getting ICS updates at a mind blowing rate thanks to the custom developers, HTC was a bit behind the competition. With this latest custom rom, the Cyanogen Mod 9, it should be able to keep up the pace with its eternal rival. The HTC Droid Incredible just got a stable firmware release from the team responsible with the Cyanogen Mod 9 KANG Project which is aimed at improving the stock Gingerbread with a much better organized custom Android 4.0.3 ICS build. This article is all about the how to needed to install this custom software on your Droid Incredible 2.
Before we move on you should know a couple of very important aspects regarding rooting or flashing any Android device. Flashing your HTC Droid Incredible 2 will most likely void the warranty, so if you are uncomfortable with this, you should probably stop here. If somehow, something goes wrong, you are on your own. Neither we nor the developer of this software can be held responsible for any damage that might come to your device by following this guide. By all means, you should not be discouraged by the above statement, as everything in this article should work because HTC have not changed the lower part of the system called the bootloader. Thanks to the guys over at androidadvices for finding this procedure.
Before we move on to serious things you should remember that flashing or updating your device with any custom ROM will erase the personal data you have stored on your HTC Droid Incredible 2. In order to avoid this we are going to use some third party applications to save your personal data and restore it once you install the new software. We are not using official software provided by HTC because it does not support custom firmware. The information below also covers some important precautionary measures that need to be taken before attempting the updating procedure, so please read them carefully:
- Text messages – We will back them up with this application : SMS Backup & Restore
- Phone Contacts – You can simply synchronize them to your Gmail account or export them to the micro SD card as a .vcf file
- Call Log – We will use the following application to backup your call log : Call Log Backup and Restore
- Pictures, Music, Videos, and other files – Simply copy them to your microSD card.
- Internet & MMS Settings – Write down all the settings from this path “Applications > Settings > Wireless and Network > Mobile Networks > Access Point Names”
- Charge your device to full or to a minimum of 60% to ensure that the phone will not power off during the install process.
- Make sure that your Droid Incredible 2 is running a rooted ROM before proceeding.
The second part of this tutorial is the one that covers the whole updating/flashing process. Many people tend to think that flashing your phone with a custom ROM is a risky and dangerous business, but if done properly it actually poses less of a risk that installing an app. By this point you should already know the advantages of running a rooted firmware so we will be moving the flashing procedure.
- The first step requires you to download these CM9 KANG ICS 4.0.3 Firmware Package & Google Apps Package to your computer and then copying them to the root of your Droid Incredible memory card. Be sure not to place the files in any subfolders. Just to be sure also use the original USB cable.
- The second step is a bit trickier and it involves rebooting your HTC Droid Incredible 2 into recovery mode. In order to do so, you must first turn off your phone and then start it up by pressing the Volume Down Key and then Power Key simultaneously. It is also worth noting that after you entered this menu you should wait for a couple of seconds before pressing any other keys. After some messages have flashed on the screen you should select the recovery option and wait for the Recovery to load.
- The third step is actually some cleaning that needs to be done so you will have to select the Wipe data/factory reset & Wipe Cache partition options in order to clear some important areas needed by the new custom ROM.
- The fourth step is the one that actually installs the Cyanogen Mod 9 and the Google Apps. All you need to do is select Install zip from sd card > Choose zip from sd card, and then choose the CM9 KANG ICS 4.0.3 Firmware Zip which you have conveniently placed in the root folder of the phone’s microSD memory card. After the flashing procedure has finished also install the Google Apps Zip in the same way.
- The fifth step is the easiest so far and all you have to do is wait for the updates to finish installing and then simply reboot your device from the recovery mode to the normal mode. All you have to do is to select the “reboot system now” option and be patient as the first boot may take a while longer than a normal one.
In the unlikely case you encounter problems during flashing you should follow the steps above again and re apply the firmware update. This is also valid in case you get the dreaded boot loops. In any case, you might want to restore an earlier nandroid backup before attempting to redo the steps above.
If everything has gone smoothly you can rest as you have successfully installed the Cyanogen Mod 9 Custom ROM on your HTC Droid Incredible 2 and all that’s left now is to enjoy your new bit of software and to write us if you were successful or not in the comment section below.