HTC seems to keep its former high end models updated on a regular basis since the Android 4.0 ICS software has been finely tuned for their main devices, and the HTC Rezound is no exception. At its core, the Rezound is a heavily tuned HTC Sensation XE, with its specs highly resembling those of the former HTC flagship, with one crucial exception, the HD screen. While the international version had to settle for a qHD resolution, the Verzion specific model went for a higher end display. The other relatively important aspect is that the Rezound featured a full GB of RAM, unlike the Sensation XE which came with the more modest 768 MB. Nevertheless, both the Sensation and the Rezound received warm welcomes on both sides of the Atlantic.
With this in mind, we can now tell you that the purpose behind this article is to give you the latest and greatest update that is available for your HTC Rezound: the3.14.605.5 one. For now, this update should be considered as an official one, as it not available through either the HTC Sync or the OTA updating application. The number change from the last ICS build is also significant, so we may just see this update as one that addresses most of the known issues for the now official ICS ROM. Also, the 3.14.605.5 firmware is based on Android 4.0.4 ICS and it will still pack the Sense 3.6 interface that many of you have started to hate after seeing the newer nicer Sense 4.0.
In the lines below you will find a safe and easy way of updating your HTC Rezound to the latest ICS firmware, but be warned as you will have to meet some certain requirements before attempting the updating procedure.
We will start with a couple of critical features that this new 3.14.605.5 firmware brings over the current ICS build:
- Lock screen shortcut settings separated from launcher bar shortcuts
- 3G/4G icon displayed prior to entering decryption password
- Hidden menu (*#*#4636#*#*) removed
- Messages application – wrong sender displayed on occasion
- IPv6 solicitation timer value change
- New radios
Keep in mind that these are not the only features of this update, but they are the ones that you will notice first once you start up your Rezound after applying the 3.14.605.5 firmware.
As always, there are a couple of requirements that your Rezound needs to meet before the update can be safely applied:
- Your HTC Rezound should not have an unlocked bootloader. This means that if you have used the official HTC bootloader unlocking tool, you should not apply this update.
- In other words, your HTC Rezound should be in its stock form in order to successfully apply the update.
- Your HTC Rezound must be charged to at least 60% in order to prevent it from accidentally powering off during the procedure. If it does power off, there is a serious risk of it turning into a very expensive brick, so please charge it up prior to this procedure.
Apart from these device related requirements, you should also take a loon onto the next list to see what you can use to back up your personal data stored on your HTC Rezound. As this is not an official update, the HTC Sync application will not recognize your Rezound once it has the new firmware, so you should use some thirds party apps and procedures to back up your personal data and to restore it once you have finished the updating procedure:
- Text messages – We will back them up with the following application : SMS Backup & Restore
- Phone Contacts – You can simply synchronize them to your Gmail account or export them to the micro SD card as a .vcf file
- Call Log – We will use the following application to backup your call log : Call Log Backup and Restore
- Pictures, Music, Videos, and other files – Simply copy them to your microSD card.
- Internet & MMS Settings – Write down all the settings from this path “Applications > Settings > Wireless and Network > Mobile Networks > Access Point Names”
Having done all of the above we can now move on to the last part of our guide, where you will actually update your Rezound to the 3.14.605.5 firmware. Rest assured as this updating procedure is very easy and you should have no problems in doing it even if you are an Android rookie:
- The first step is downloading the 3.14.605.5 firmware update file from here to your computer. We recommend saving it to an easily accessible place such as your desktop.
- Next up you will have to rename the downloaded file to: PH98IMG.zip
- After you have renamed the file you will have to connect your HTC Rezound to your PC using its original USB cable and transfer the renamed file to the root folder of your Rezound’s memory card. Do not place the PH98IMG.zip file into any additional subfolders, just drop it directly itno the SD card.
- Now you will have to power off your HTC Rezound and reboot it into bootloader mode. The simplest way of doing so is to press and hold the Volume Down Button while pressing the Power Button.
- You will notice when you are in the correct menu easily since the update process should automatically begin once the HTC Rezound is in bootloader mode. From here you will just have to wait a couple of minutes for the 3.14.605.5 firmware to be applied and once it has finished its job your Rezound should automatically reboot.
The first boot after the update should take a little longer than usual, so do not be surprised if your device has not started after 10 minutes. If the updating process takes more than 30 minutes, you should pull the battery out of your Rezound and retry the steps above before anything else. If you still can’t get it to work then simply drop us a line in the comments section below and we will be more than glad to help you.
If on the other hand everything went according to the plan, you should now be the proud owner of a HTC Rezound running the latest leaked ICS firmware, and you should start noticing the fixes and optimizations right away. Feel free to use the comments section below if you have any further questions or if you want just to tell us how the procedure worked for you.