Many of you know that Samsung isn’t going to give us an early release of the Android ICS 4.0 for the Samsung Galaxy S GT-I9000. Although, we did get the Value Pack that has a few ICS 4.0 features and it comes with TouchWiz 4, which is a step forward, but not the big step that many of us were waiting for.
With the Value Pack left aside, you can now update the Samsung Galaxy S GT-I9000 with an unofficial version of the Android ICS 4.0.4 which bears the codename AOSP. This Elite ROM of the ICS 4.0.4 seems to be ported from the Galaxy Nexus’ Android 4.0.4 update and is in its beta stage, but be without worries, because the ROM is stable and reliable enough for your daily use.
The Android ICS 4.0.4 update for Galaxy S GT-I9000 comes packed with a lot of improvements and new features (oh look at the elephant in the room), like better performance, the Sony Bravia Engine for a more vivid visual experience, multitasking similar to the Windows Phone 7, Face Unlock, enhanced stock browser and many others.
Enough chitchat, let’s get down to business and install the Android Ice Cream Sandwich 4.0.4 update on the Samsung Galaxy S GT-I9000.
- You know this one, there’s no need for me to elaborate, but let me remind you to backup your important data and charge the phone’s battery to full 100%, just to be safe.
- You know this one too, no one but yourself will be held responsible if you attempt to use this guide and fail.
Here’s how to update the Samsung Galaxy S GT-I9000 to Android ICS 4.0.4:
- Download the Android ICS 4.0.4 update (mirror | mirror).
- Install the Android 2.3.6 Value Pack XXJVU on your Samsung Galaxy S GT-I9000, root the phone and install the ClockworkMod Recovery.
- Disable the SIM Card Lock (Settings > Location and Security) and enable the USB Debugging (Settings > Applications > Development).
- Copy the downloaded update to your phone’s memory (not microSD).
- Power off the phone and reboot it in ClockworkMod Recovery (simultaneously press and hold the Volume Up, Home and Power buttons).
- Return your phone to its factory settings by wiping factory data/factory reset, cache and then go to Advanced and wipe the Dalvik cache.
- Select Install zip from SD card > Choose zip from SD card, select the zip update from your phone memory (GTi9000_IMM30B_BETA_8_RC.zip) and confirm the installation.
- Now that the installation is done, select Go back and reboot by choosing the Reboot System now option.
Now you can enjoy your Samsung Galaxy S GT-I9000 with its new Android Ice Cream Sandwich 4.0.4 update up and running.