You may recall that it is updating season in the Android world, with more and more devices getting a taste of the sweet and tender Android 4.0 ICS. Time has come for an old timer like the HTC Vivid to get some of the action, and this time the update comes in the form of a leaked RUU, a program which HTC uses to make their tethered updates possible. As far as we know this is the official RUU that HTC will use to update the AT&T HTC Vivid to Android 4.0 ICS so you should just treat it as an early and official update. The last line that if you want to update your Vivid with the latest software, although a leaked one you can start making the preparations for it right now, or you can just wait a couple of more days or weeks for the official software to roll out.
We would like to offer a word of caution before the actual guide: you can only use this RUU to update the AT&T version of the HTC Vivid. Using it on any other Android running device, even one with specs very similar to the Vivid will probably result in a bricked device.
Even though this is an official RUU, you must keep in mind that it is still a leak, and HTC may or may not decide to change it before the actual release date of the update. In order to avoid any complications you should read our disclaimer notice and only go on with the guide if you agree with it: This software is not our creation so we must warn you that you cannot hold us responsible for any damage that might occur to your device by following the procedures in this guide. However, we will try to help you sort out any glitches or problems that might arise by following the steps in this guide to the extent our knowledge limits us.
As with any unofficial Android update, this one too will erase all of your personal data from your Vivid, so you should back it up. Using the original HTC Sync software will not allow you to restore your data after using this leaked RUU update because it simply does not support it yet. In order to pass this hurdle we have decided to use some third party applications and some very simple procedures that will help you both backup and restore your data. Please read the lines below carefully and make sure the backups are saved correctly:
- Text messages – We will back them up with the following application : SMS Backup & Restore
- Phone Contacts – You can simply synchronize them to your Gmail account or export them to the micro SD card as a .vcf file
- Call Log – We will use the following application to backup your call log : Call Log Backup and Restore
- Pictures, Music, Videos, and other files – Simply copy them to your microSD card.
- Internet & MMS Settings – Write down all the settings from this path “Applications > Settings > Wireless and Network > Mobile Networks > Access Point Names”
After backup up your data you now have to meet the following requirements in order to safely update with the leaked RUU. Make sure you meet them all and not only a part of them as each and every one of the following lines is equally important:
- The first and most important requirement is that your device must be in the stock factory state, and this means that its bootloader must be locked, and it must not have a custom recovery image.
- You need to charge your HTV Vivid to at least 70% or even to full battery capacity in order to prevent it from accidentally powering off during the updating procedure.
- You will need to disable any antivirus or other security related software on your computer because these tools tend to interfere with the updating program, and this might cause it to misbehave, which could in turn result in a bricked device on your half.
- You will need to enable the USB Debugging setting that you can find by going to Settings -> Applications -> Development -> USB debugging.
- You will also have to disable the Fast boot setting from Settings -> Applications -> Fast boot. These last two requirements will make sure the RUU will recognize your device.
- You have to delete all the PG58IMg.zip you might have on your microSD card as they can interfere with the RUU update process.
- Last but not least you must have the HTC USB device drivers installed on your PC. If you do not have them you can get them from here.
Next up we will begin the part of the guide that overlooks the steps you need to take in order to successfully apply the Android 4.0 ICS RUU update. These steps must be followed exactly in the order they appear below, and you must be very careful not to select the wrong options as they may result in the RUU damaging your HTC Vivid. With this in mind you can now safely proceed to the actual updating procedure:
- We will start by downloading this Leaked RUU to an easy to reach location such as your Desktop.
- In the next step you will have to power down your HTC Vivid and reboot it into HBOOT mode. You can easily do this by pressing the Volume Down button and the Power Button once the device has been shut down and waiting a couple of seconds for some green text to flash.
- Next up you will have to connect your HTC Vivid in HBOOT mode to your PC and start the RUU file you downloaded earlier (the htc_vivid_att_RUU_3.26.502.56_US.exe file).
- Once you have started the RUU it will provide instructions that will guide you through the process, so please follow them with maximum caution. After the update is complete you should disconnect your smartphone from the PC and let it reboot on its own.
If you run into any problems during this update please let us know in the comments section below, but if everything has gone ok you should now rejoice as your Vivid has been successfully updated to the soon to be official version of the Android 4.0 ICS OS topped with the verpresent HTC Sense skin.