The official 2018 Android 7.0 Nougat security update is now live for all the T-Mobile Samsung Galaxy S6 models. Check the info and learn how to manually install this new update patch on your device.
The new Android 7.0 Nougat security update has been launched early 2018 and you can install it before it reaches your region over-the-air. There are no major new features added in this release, except for the security patches. Before starting the installation process you need to check the following guidelines.
Use this guide only for the T-Mobile Samsung Galaxy S6 devices. The model of your device has to be the SM – G920T.
Don’t try to use this tutorial for any other Galaxy S6 devices.
Download Samsung USB drivers from here.
For the update process you will use the ODIN app, and for it to work you will need to install the above drivers and enable USB Debugging from Developer Options.
If the Developer Options is not listed in Settings, then you will have to unhide them first: go to Settings> About phone and tap seven times on the Build Number text.
Go back to Settings and Developer Options will be listed there.
You can flash the new update over rooted-only firmware, but you need to know that root access won’t survive the update process. Also, any custom Recovery you might have installed will be replaced with stock Recovery.
The Android 7.0 official update can be installed over custom ROMs, but you need to Factory Reset the phone after the installation is done. The Factory Reset steps are listed at the end of the tutorial. By factory resetting your phone will wipe clean the custom ROM and it allows the new official firmware to boot in normal mode.
Read the whole tutorial and do not skip any steps.
If your phone runs 100% stock firmware, then you can continue to the next part of this post and start the installation process.
How to install Android 7.0 Official 2018 Security Update for T-Mobile Samsung Galaxy S6 G920T:
- Download the Android 7.0 G920TUVS6FRA3 archive from here.
- After the download is done you can extract the archived contents. Save the extracted contents on your computer.
– you should obtain the G920TUVS6FRA3 tar.md5 firmware update file, don’t extract the tar.md5 archive, as that’s how you need to install it.
- Download Odin 3.12.3 zip from here.
– when the download is done you can save the files on your PC.
- Power off the phone.
- Boot it in Download Mode.
- Launch Odin.
- Connect your phone to PC using the USB cable.
– verify that the phone has been added and continue to the next step.
- Go to Odin’s main screen and click AP button.
- Find the G920TUVS6FRA3 tar.md5 firmware update file and load it in ODIN.
- Hit the START button to confirm the Android 7.0 official update process.
– don’t press anything until the flashing process is done.
- When installation is done you can see the PASS alert shown by ODIN. Unplug the device from PC and reboot it in normal mode.
Use your default login info in order to regain control over your smartphone once again.
In case the FAIL alert is shown by ODIN, or in case any other error is shown on your PC, then you will be forced to try and repeat the whole tutorial more than once. If you repeat installation you need to make sure that your phone meets all requirements and that you won’t be skipping any steps.
If the PASS alert is shown by ODIN, but your phone enters in a boot loop or it gets stuck at the boot animation screen for more than 20 minutes, then you will have to factory reset the phone.
The Factory Reset process will wipe clean the system partition and it will allow your smartphone boot in normal mode. The Factory Reset steps need to be applied by those that have installed the Android 7.0 update over custom ROMs.
Here’s how to factory reset the device:
- power off the phone
- boot it in Recovery Mode.
- select ‘wipe data/ factory reset’.
- confirm process.
- reboot phone in normal mode.
If you need more help completing the tutorial, then you should tell us in comments.