Jelly Bean 4.1.2 OTA Update has been released for the T-Mobile variant of the Samsung Galaxy S2 model number T989. Use this tutorial and learn how to successfully flash this firmware update and update your device with the latest available OS. Make sure to ask for extra help in comments in case you cannot complete the update.
Android 4.1 Jelly Bean update has the version number UVMC6 and it brings an improved TouchWiz Nature UX 2.0 interface. Some of the best features of this update are the new lockscreen widgets support, two home screen modes, Direct Call, Smart Stay, better camera functions, Google Now and tons of other new Jelly Bean tweaks. In order to make sure that you successfully flash this update on your smartphone, then you should read the preparation guide below before getting to the tutorial:
- Use this tutorial only for the T-Mobile US Samsung Galaxy S2 model number T989. Do not attempt to update any other devices as you might brick them.
- This is an official OTA update and it will revoke any root access that you had until now. Use this tutorial only if you what you’re doing.
- Make sure that you have all the Samsung USB drivers installed on your computer. Without these files, your device won’t be recognized by ODIN app and you cannot complete the update.
- Create backups of all files that are currently installed on your device.
- We cannot be held responsible in case you lose data or you brick the phone in the process. This is a guide for advanced users.
- Enable USB debugging option from the Developer Options menu.
- Read the entire tutorial and make sure that you won’t skip any steps that I have listed in this post. Ask for extra help in comments in case you cannot complete the update.
These were all the guidelines you had to go over before getting to the next part of this post. The update should be completed easily if you carefully read all the steps I’ve listed below.
How to update the T-Mobile Galaxy S2 T989 to Android 4.1.2 UVMC6 Jelly Bean firmware:
- Download the UVCM6 Android 4.1.2 Jelly Bean firmware from HERE or from HERE. Save the file on your PC.
- Extract the contents of this zip and save them in a single folder on your PC. You will get a ‘.tar.md5’ file and you shouldn’t extract it any further.
- Download Odin 3.04 zip from HERE. Extract the contents of the zip when the download is complete. The exe of ODIN is the tool you’re gonna use in order to update your smartphone.
- Power off the smartphone.
- Next, plug the USB cable into your PC only. Then, press simultaneously Volume Up and Volume Down buttons of your phone and then plug the USB cable into the phone also. Now you can release the volume buttons. When you’ll see the Warning alert you need to press Volume Up and continue to Download Mode.
- Launch ODIN executable now. Odin will say ‘Added!!’ and you can continue to the next step.
- Click PDA tab in ODIN and then browse your PC for the .tar.md5 file you extracted at step 2. Don’t change any default options in ODIN. You only have to make sure that the Re-Partition option is not enabled.
- Press the START button when you’re ready to update your device.
- The updating process should start now and you need to wait until it is complete.
- After all Android 4.1.2 UVMC6 Jelly Bean update files have been successfully flashed, you should see the phone restarting.
- Unplug the USB cable from the phone when the Samsung logo animations appears. Odin will say ‘PASS’ and that means that the update has been completed.
- Wait for the phone to boot into normal mode and take control over your device once again. Test the new functions and tell us in comments if you cannot complete the update.
NOTE: If ODIN fails or it freezes then you need to power off the device by removing its battery. Close ODIN and then re-insert the phone’s battery. Repeat the entire tutorial starting with step 5 and this time you have to make sure that you successfully apply all the steps that I have listed above.
In case ODIN says ‘PASS’ but the phone doesn’t boot into normal mode, then you will have to wipe data and factory reset the device from your device’s Stock Recovery. It will force it to boot into normal mode and you will be able to use the Android 4.1.2 UVMC6 Jelly Bean OS. Here’s how to do that:
- Power off your device.
- Boot it into Recovery mode.
- Select ‘wipe data/ factory reset’ option. Confirm. Note that this will delete all files from your device’s /system partition.
- Select ‘reboot system now’.
- Wait for the smartphone to boot into normal mode and then you have to enter your Google Account details.
These were all the steps that you had to take in order to update your smartphone to Android 4.1.2 Jelly Bean UVMC6 firmware. In case you’re having any other problems then you should ask for more help in comments.