Install Android 4.2.2 AOKP JB MR1 Build 4 Custom ROM for the Samsung Galaxy S2 I9100G
I9100G model of the Samsung Galaxy S2 is now ready to be updated to the latest AOKP Jelly Bean MR1 build 4 ROM and you can use this post to learn how to successfully flash it on your device. Use all the info I’ve listed below and you should be able to flash the custom ROM without losing data or bricking the phone. In case you have problems installing the new ROM, then you can use the comments section and ask for more help.
The new AOKP JB MR1 build 4 is based on the Android 4.2.2 Jelly Bean stock OS. You will first have to read the preparation guide below in order to flash the zip at your first attempt easily. Make sure to read all the guidelines and only when you’re sure that you can complete the installation you need to get to the final part of this post. Here’s what you need to do in order to get the Android 4.2.2 AOKP JB build 4 for the Samsung Galaxy S2 I9100G:
- The files listed in this post will work only with the Samsung Galaxy S2 model number I9100G. Do not attempt to flash these files on any other device as you will end up bricking it.
- The SGS2 I9100G has to be rooted and running a custom Recovery image such as CWM or TWRP. Without these requirements being met you won’t be able to flash the updated zip.
- make sure that you create a full NANDROID backup of your current Android OS, as this will set a restore point for your phone. You can use the backup in case the phone refuses to boot with the new ROM. If you don’t create a NANDROID backup and the phone doesn’t boot with AOKP JB MR1 ROM then you will be forced to restore the device to Stock Android ROM and after that you need to re-root it, re-install a custom Recovery etc. You can find a step in the tutorial that teaches you where to find the Nandroid backup options.
- Before installing the new ROM you will have to wipe data and factory reset your device. NOTE: In case your device is running a ROM based on the AOKP JB MR1 then you can skip the factory reset operation, as the new ROM is only a newer build and it can be flashed without changing the contents of the previous ROM.
- Backup SMS, Call Logs and APN Internet Settings using the following tools for Android: SMS backup & restore | Call Logs backup & restore | APN Settings Backup & Restore | AppBack for Android application. Root access is required for some of these tools.
- Sync your Contacts with your Gmail Account so that you won’t lose any data in the process.
- Enable USB Debugging option from the Android Developer Options menu.
- Also, make sure that there is enough power left in your device’s battery so that the device won’t switch off during the installation process.
- Remember that this is a guide for power users, and if you’re not one that wants to test custom ROMs, then you should use this post.
- We cannot be blamed in case you lose data or your phone is bricked in the process.
- Read the entire post and make sure to apply all the steps listed below.
- If you cannot install the ROM then ask for extra help in comments.
Note that this is not a final Release of the AOKP JB MR1 and it might present some errors and bugs. That is why you should only update after you previously created a full ROM backup of the current installed files.
How to update Samsung Galaxy S2 I9100G to Android 4.2.2 AOKP JB MR1 Build 4 custom ROM:
- Download the ROM from HERE or HERE. Save the file on your PC and then move on to the next step. Do not unzip the file.
- Download Gapps for CM 10.1 from HERE. This has to be installed in order to add all Google apps to your computer. Don’t extrect its contents.
- Use the USB cable to connect the PC with the phone. Move both files on your device’s internal SDcard and then you can disconnect the phone from PC.
- Power off the smartphone and then boot it into CWM Recovery mode. Do it by pressing the Volume Up, Home and Power buttons at the same time. Release them when the Recovery mode menu appears.
- RECOMMENDED: Select ‘backup and restore’ option in order to create a full NANDROID backup of your current ROM. It will set a restore point for your device.
- Select ‘wipe data/ factory reset’ option and confirm. NOTE: If your phone is already sporting an AOKP JB MR1 ROM then you can skip this step and flash the new Build 4 over it without losing any data.
- Select ‘install zip from SDcard’ and from the next menu select ‘choose zip from SDcard’. Now, locate the ROM zip file and then confirm that you want to install it.
- When the ROM is installed with success you will simply need to select again ‘choose zip from sdcard’. This time you should browse for the ‘Gapps’ zip. Confirm the install process.
- When both files have been successfully installed, return to the main menu of the CWM Recovery mode. Select ‘reboot system now’.
- Wait for your phone to boot successfully. Note that this first boot process of AOKP Jelly Bean build4 shouldn’t take more than 5 minutes.
- The phone will boot into its normal mode and you can begin testing this new mobile operating system now.
NOTE: In case the first boot process of this new ROM didn’t complete successfully, then you should power off the device and then boot again into CWM Recovery mode. Repeat the entire tutorial a second time and make sure that you don’t skip the instructions listed under the step 6. But, you will lose all the installed apps, SMS and Call logs while this. Usually, custom ROMs might not install at the first attempt.
After you install the ROM you should configure its menus, launcher settings so that it will suit your needs. If you’re having any other problems regarding the installation of this new ROM, then you should ask for more help in comments and we will try to find a correct solution.
Also, if you don’t like this new ROM, or you stumbled upon any ‘force closing’ errors, then you should use the NANDROID backup of the previous ROM and restore it using the CWM Recovery mode.