AOKP JB Milestone Release 1 has reached its Build 4 which is now based on the Android 4.2.2 Jelly Bean, the latest OS available for your device. Use this post and you’ll learn how to successfully flash this new custom ROM on your AT&T variant of the Samsung Galaxy S3 I747. Read the entire post and make sure that you don’t skip any steps that I have listed.
It packs the Android 4.2.2 features and functions along with all the AOKP JB MR1 components. This ROM is based on AOSP and you will need to read the preparation guide below to learn how to successfully configure your smartphone. You will learn how to backup data and what applications to use for such actions. Continue to the tutorial guide only when you’re sure that you can complete the update with success:
- Use the guide only for the AT&T variant of the Samsung Galaxy S3 model number I747. Do not try to flash this custom ROM on any other Android device.
- The AT&T SGS3 has to be rooted and running a CWM Recovery image. Without these you cannot complete the update.
- Use the Custom Recovery mode to make a NANDROID backup of the current OS. It will act as a backup and restore point for your phone. Set one up just in case your device will not boot with the AOKP JB MR1 build 4 custom ROM.
- The tutorial will ask you to wipe data and factory reset the phone and that is why you should move all your important files to your device’s internal SDcard. All the data on the /system partition will be deleted by the ‘factory reset’ step. NOTE: if your phone is already on a AOKP JB MR1 build 4 ROM, then you can skip the ‘factory reset’ and overwrite the current ROM.
- Use the following tools to backup data such as Call logs info, SMS etc: SMS backup & restore | Call Logs backup & restore | APN Settings Backup & Restore | AppBack for Android application. Root is required for some of these apps.
- Sync the Contacts with the Gmail account. This will backup all the data from the People / Contacts app so that you won’t lose any important phone numbers or any other contacts data.
- This is a tutorial that should be applied by advanced Android users. Do not attempt to use this guide in case you’re a rookie. We cannot be held responsible in case you lose any important data while you’re installing the new ROM.
- Read the entire post and don’t skip any steps that I have listed in this tutorial.
These were all the steps that you had to go over before moving on to the ‘how-to’ guide. If you cannot complete the update, then you should ask for more help in our comments section and we will try to come up with a solution for any problems that you might stumble when trying to flash the latest AOKP build.
How to update AT&T Samsung Galaxy S3 I747 to AOKP JB MR1 build 4 based on Android 4.2.2 Jelly Bean:
- Download the custom ROM from HERE or HERE and save the file on your PC. Don’t extract the zip contents.
- Download the Gapps for CM 10.1 from HERE. You have to download this one in order to flash the Google apps for your device. Don’t unzip the file.
- Connect the SGS3 to your computer. Move the files downloaded at the steps above on your phone’s internal SDcard. Disconnect the device from your PC and then power it off.
- Boot your phone into CWM Recovery mode now. Do it by pressing Volume Up, Home and Power. Confirm that you want to boot into Custom Recovery mode by pressing Volume Up. Get to the next step when the main menu appears.
- Select ‘wipe data/ factory reset’ option and confirm. NOTE: IF your device is already on a AOKP JB ROM then you can skip this step.
- Select ‘install zip from sdcard’ and then ‘choose zip from sdcard’. Find the AOKP JB MR1 build 4 ROM and confirm the installation.
- After the ROM is installed you will need to select ‘choose zip from sdcard’ again. This time you have to install the Gapps file. Confirm.
- Get back to the main menu of the CWM Recovery menu when both files are installed successfully.
- Select ‘reboot system now’ and wait until the first boot process of this new ROM completes.
- Enter your Google Account and take control over your device once again.
- Test all features of Android 4.2.2 AOKP Jelly Bean build 4 and tell us in comments if you find any errors or bugs.
NOTE: in case the first boot process takes too long to complete or the phone enters a boot loop then you should power it off. Boot again into CWM Recovery mode and then repeat the entire tutorial. Make sure that you apply the actions listed under step 5. The update should complete the second or third time.
If you cannot complete the installation and the phone doesn’t boot then you should restore the backup of the previous ROM. Use the CWM Recovery mode to restore backups. Use the tutorial to ask for any guidance. We will try to offer solution to any problem that you might stumble upon when attempting to flash this custom new custom ROM for your AT&T Samsung Galaxy S3 I747.
If you don’t like how the new custom ROM works with your phone, then you should restore the smartphone to its previous status with the custom Recovery image.