Install Android 4.2.2 AOKP Jelly Bean-MR1 Build 4 custom ROM for the Sprint Samsung Galaxy Nexus
Sprint Galaxy Nexus can be updated to the latest the AOKP JB MR1 Build 4 ROM easily using the instructions that I have listed in this post. It is a custom ROM that is based on the Android 4.2.2 Jelly Bean AOSP and it should bring all the latest features and functions. More can be found in the news article here.
The new custom ROM can be flashed easily using the CWM Recovery image, but you should have a Sprint Galaxy Nexus device that is unlocked and rooted. In order to make sure that you can complete the installation then you will have to read the preparation guide below. Make sure to carefully read all the guidelines so that you will manage to flash the new ROM at your first attempt. Here’s what you need to know:
- use this tutorial only with the Sprint Samsung Galaxy Nexus and don’t attempt to flash the custom ROM with any other smartphones, as you might end up bricking the device.
- Your device should be on an unlocked bootloader, rooted and running a custom Recovery such as CWM Recovery or TWRP.
- Use the custom Recovery mode to create a full NANDROID backup of the currently installed ROM. This will act as a restore point for the phone and you can use it in case the new ROM doesn’t boot correctly. More info can be found in the tutorial.
- The ‘how-to’ contains a step that will ask you to wipe data and factory reset the phone. However, you should apply it only if your device is running a different ROM. In case your device is running an AOKP JB ROM then you can install this new build without factory resetting the smartphone.
- Move all important data to your phone’s internal SDcard. Also, you can choose to copy the data to your computer and restore it after the new ROM installs successfully.
- If you want to backup SMS, Call Logs and APN Internet Settings use the following tools for Android: SMS backup & restore | Call Logs backup & restore | APN Settings Backup & Restore | AppBack for Android application. Root access is needed by some of these Android tools.
- If you don’t want to lose the Contacts/ People data use the tutorial here to learn how to sync it with your Gmail account.
- Enable USB Debugging option from the Android Developer Options. NOTE: After you install this ROM, the Developer Options might disappear and this means that you will need to open Settings, then About phone and after that you should press the ‘Build Number’ text 7 times. This will re-enable the Developer Options menu.
- Make sure that your phone’s battery is charged so that the phone won’t power off in the middle of the updating process.
- This is a guide for advanced Android users and you shouldn’t attempt to use it in case you’re a rookie and you don’t know what to do. Read the entire post firstly and only afterwards you should apply the tutorial actions.
- We cannot be held responsible in case you lose data in the process. Also, you shouldn’t blame us nor the developers in case your phone gets bricked in the process. That’s why you should create a NANDROID backup before getting to the tutorial.
I think that these were all the steps and guidelines that you had to go over before getting to the tutorial. Now you can continue to the ‘how-to’ part of this and start the update. Don’t skip any steps. If you cannot complete the installation, then you should ask for more help in comments.
How to update the Sprint Galaxy Nexus to Android 4.2.2 AOKP Jelly Bean MR1 Build 4 ROM:
- Download the ROM zip file from HERE or HERE. Save the file on your PC and don’t unzip the contents.
- Download Gapps for CM 10.1 from HERE. This file has to be flashed in order to get the Google-based applications on your smartphone.
- Connect your device to your computer and then move these files on its internal SDcard. Do not extract the contents of these files. When the files are copied, then you should disconnect the smartphone from PC.
- Power off your Galaxy Nexus Sprint phone.
- Boot it into Fastboot mode by pressing Volume Up, Volume Down and Power. Release the buttons when the Fastboot mode appears.
- Use the volume buttons to select ‘Recovery’ option and boot your device into CWM / TWRP Recovery mode. I’ve used the CWM recovery mode for this post, but these steps are similar to TWRP.
- RECOMMENDED: Use the ‘backup and restore’ option in order to create a full NANDROID backup of your current ROM.
- OPTIONAL: Select ‘wipe data/ factory reset’ option if your device is not running an AOKP JB ROM. You can skip this step in case your phone is already running a previous build of this new ROM.
- Select ‘install zip from Sdcard’ and then ‘choose zip from Sdcard’. Find the AOKP Jelly Bean MR1 build 4 ROM and confirm the installation.
- Select again the ‘choose zip from Sdcard’ option in order to install the Gapps file. Select it for installation and confirm.
- After both files have been successfully installed you should return to the main menu of the CWM Recovery mode.
- Select ‘reboot system now’ and the first boot process shouldn’t take more than 5 minutes to complete.
- When the phone boots into normal mode, you should take control over it and then test the new AOKP JB MR1 build 4 ROM.
- Tell us in comments if you find any errors while using this new ROM.
NOTE: In case the phone refuses to boot after installing the ROM and the phone freezes at the boot animation logo or it enters a boot loop, then you should power off the device completely. After that you can repeat the entire tutorial and this time you should apply the steps listed under step 8 and factory reset your phone. Complete the tutorial the second and you should be able to flash the new ROM.
These were all the steps that you had to take in order to flash the AOKP Jelly Bean 4.2.2 MR1 build 4 for the Sprint Samsung Galaxy Nexus.
If you don’t like how this new ROM works, then you can return to the previous ROM using the NANDROID backup created and flashing it with the CWM Recovery mode. In case you cannot complete the tutorial, then you should ask for more help in comments.