Install Android 4.2.2 AOKP Jelly Bean MR1 Build 4 ROM for the T-Mobile Samsung Galaxy S2 T989
The T-Mobile variant of Galaxy S2 can now be update to Android 4.2.2 Jelly Bean using the AOKP JB MR1 Build 4 custom ROM. Read the entire post and you will manage to confirm the installation fast and easy without losing any important data in the process. Remember that it is a guide for advanced Android users.
The AOKP JB MR1 reached its build 4 and it has been release by the Android Open Kang Project team a few days ago. It features new functions and it is based on the AOSP Android 4.2.2 Jelly Bean. More info can be read here. It adds stability improvements and some tweaks for the overall OS performances. It doesn’t improve the battery life of your phone, but it still works smooth for your phone.
This is not a final release of the AOKP Jelly Bean ROM and you might find some errors and bugs while testing it.
In order to successfully flash this custom ROM on your Samsung Galaxy S2 T-Mobile, use the guidelines below. You will learn how to properly setup your device so that you’ll manage the update at your first attempt. Here’s what you know:
- This guide will work only with the T-Mobile variant of the Samsung Galaxy S2 with the model number T989. Don’t attempt to use the files you find in this post with any other Android smartphones or tablets.
- Your phone has to be rooted and running a custom Recovery such as CWM Recovery. Without these requirements you cannot flash any custom ROMs on your phone.
- Use the CWM Recovery to create a NANDROID backup of your current ROM before getting to the tutorial. It will create a restore point for your device and you can use it in case you don’t like the new ROM or, in case the phone doesn’t boot normally with the AOKP JB MR1 ROM installed.
- In the how-to guide you will find a step that asks you to wipe data and factory reset the device. That is why you should backup SMS, Call Logs, APN Internet Settings and all the other data stored on the /system partition. Use these tools for Android: SMS backup & restore | Call Logs backup & restore | APN Settings Backup & Restore | AppBack for Android application. Root access will be asked for some of these apps.
- NOTE: you can skip the ‘factory reset’ actions in case your device is already running a previous version of the AOKP JB MR1 ROM.
- Sync your Contacts / People data with your Gmail account so that you won’t lose any phone numbers and other saved details.
- Enable the USB Debugging option for your phone. This option can be found in the Developer Options menu. In case you can’t find it, then it might be hidden and you have to make Developer Options menu visible: open Settings, then About Phone and scroll down until your find the ‘Build Number’ text, which has to be pressed 7 times until you’re told that “you’re now a developer”.
- Make sure that your phone is fully charged and that it won’t power off in the middle of the updating process.
- This is a tutorial for advanced Android users and it would be better to stay away from it in case you’re a novice. Note that we cannot be blamed in case you lose any data in the process nor in case your phone is bricked.
- Read the entire post and you should be able to complete the installation easily. Don’t skip any important steps that I have listed in the tutorial.
Now that you know all this, get to the next part of this post and learn how to flash a custom ROM for your device.
How to update T-Mobile Samsung Galaxy S2 T989 with AOKP JB-MR1 Build 4 custom ROM:
- Download the ROM from HERE or HERE. Save the files to your PC and don’t extract their contents.
- Download Gapps for CM 10.1 from HERE. Make sure to get the variant for CM10.1 as it will be the only file that will work with this AOKP release. It is the file that you have to flash in order to get the Google apps installed on your phone after flashing this new ROM.
- Use the USB data cable to connect the phone to your PC. Move the files downloaded on to the phone’s internal SDcard. Disconnect the device from computer when the files are copied successfully.
- Power off your device.
- Boot it into CWM Recovery mode by pressing at the same time Volume Up, Volume Down and Power buttons. Release the buttons when the CWM Recovery main menu appears.
- RECOMMENDED: In case you don’t have a NANDROID backup of your current ROM, then you should select ‘backup and restore’ option. Create the backup and get to the next step.
- Select ‘wipe data/ factory reset’ option and then confirm that you want to apply this action. NOTE: In case your device is already running an AOKP JB MR1 rom then you can skip this step and install the new ROM over the previous build.
- Select ‘install zip from SDcard’ and then ‘choose zip from SDcard’. Find the custom ROM zip and install it.
- When the ROM is installed you should select ‘choose zip from sdcard’ again. Now, install the ‘Gapps’ file. Confirm.
- Return to the main menu of the CWM Recovery mode and select ‘reboot system now’.
- Now your phone will boot into normal mode and that should be it, you’ve successfully updated your phone.
NOTE: If the first boot process of AOKP JB MR1 Build4 doesn’t complete or the phone gets into a boot loop, then you should power off your smartphone. You have to repeat the entire tutorial once again and the second time you have to make sure that you apply the instructions listed under step 7, as that might be why the phone doesn’t boot with the new ROM.
These were all the steps that you had to follow in order to install Android 4.2.2 Jelly Bean custom ROM on your T-Mobile Samsung Galaxy S2.
If you don’t like this new ROM, then you should use the CWM Recovery mode and restore the backup of your previously installed ROM. Also, use the comments section below to ask for any extra help.