Install Android 4.2.2 CM 10.1 Nightly ROM for the Samsung Galaxy S2 I9100
CM10.1 ROM has now integrated the Android 4.2.2 in its Nightlies and you can use the instructions listed in this post in order to learn how to successfully update your I9100 SGS2. Read the entire post and you will make sure that the new ROM will install at your first attempt.
This new CM10.1 Nightly build comes with the Android 4.2.2 firmware and it will fix some small errors with the radios and WiFi. Also, it includes tweaks and improvements for the overall CyanogenMod UI. In order to make sure that you successfully update your phone with this ROM, read the guidelines listed below:
- Use this tutorial only with the Samsung Galaxy S2 model number I9100. This guide won’t work with any other smartphone and you shouldn’t attempt to use it on any other Android device.
- Your phone should be running the stock Android 4.1.2 Jelly Bean ROM or on a previous build of the CM 10.1 Nightlies ROM.
- The SGS2 should be rooted and running a custom Recovery image (TWRP / CWM). I’m using the CWM Recovery mode for this post, which is very similar to TWRP and you should be able to complete the install either way.
- It would be best for you to use the CWM Recovery mode to create a full NANDROID backup of your current ROM. This will act as a restore point in case something goes wrong and you cannot boot your phone after installing the new ROM.
- Enable USB debugging option.
- You can choose to backup SMS, Call Logs and other data with these tools: SMS backup & restore | Call Logs backup & restore | APN Settings Backup & Restore | AppBack for Android application. NOTE: This can be skipped in case your device is already running a CM 10.1 Nightlies ROM, as you won’t have to apply the actions listed under the ‘Factory reset’ step.
- Sync your Contacts with your Gmail account.
- Make sure that your phone’s battery charging level is over 50%. This will prevent the phone from powering off in the middle of the updating process.
- This is a tutorial guide that should be applied by advanced Android users. Do not blame us in case something goes wrong and you brick your device. Also, we cannot be held responsible in case you lose any important data in the process.
- Read the entire post and ask for more help in comments in case you cannot complete the installation.
These were all the guidelines that you had to go over before moving on to the tutorial.
How to update the Samsung Galaxy S2 I9100 with Android 4.2.2 based on CM 10.1 Nightlies ROM:
- Download the ROM zip file from HERE. Save the file on your PC without unzipping it.
- Download the Gapps for CM10.1 from HERE. This is the file you have to flash in order to install all Google apps on your device after installing the ROM. Don’t unzip the file.
- Connect the SGS2 to your PC and then move both files onto its internal SDcard. Disconnect the phone from computer when done.
- Power off your smartphone.
- Boot it into CWM Recovery mode by pressing Volume Up, Home and Power buttons.
- OPTIONAL: If you don’t have a NANDROID backup then you should select ‘backup and restore’ option. Create a backup and then get to the next step.
- Select ‘wipe data/ factory reset’ option in case you’re running a different ROM. If you’re on a CM10.1 ROM then you can skip this step.
- Now, select ‘install zip from sdcard’ and then ‘choose zip from sdcard’. Find the CM10.1 ROM zip file and confirm that you want to install it.
- When the ROM is installed with success you should select again ‘choose zip from sdcard’. Find the Gapps zip and confirm its installation.
- When both files have been successfully installed you should return to the main menu of the Recovery mode.
- Select ‘reboot system now’.
- Wait several minutes for the first boot process to complete, as it shouldn’t take long.
- Enter your Google Account details and then you will be able to begin testing this new custom ROM. If it seems like it lags then you should power off the device once again and then power it on after 30 seconds.
- Test the ROM and then tell us in comments how’s the battery life and if you’re impressed with the Android 4.2.2 CM10.1 ROM.
NOTE: In case the first boot process takes over 5 minutes to complete, then you should power off the device completely and then repeat the entire tutorial. The second time you should make sure that you apply the step 7 and factory reset your SGS2.
In case you have any other questions or you cannot complete the tutorial, then you should leave a detailed comment at the end of this post. I’ll attempt to offer you the best solution to your problems.
Remember that in case you don’t like this new ROM, then you can use the NANDROID backup created before installing CM10.1 and restore it using the Custom Recovery mode.