The ‘M’ release of the CM 10.1 ROM has reached its second build and it is now based on the Android 4.2.2 Jelly Bean OS. Use this guide to learn how to successfully flash this custom ROM on your Verizon Galaxy Nexus. Read the entire post and make sure that you won’t forget to flash all the files that are listed below.
CyanogenMod team has started to release an ‘M’ build of their Nightlies and this should be considered as a more stable version of the CM10.1 Nightly. The ‘M’ doesn’t stand for any term in particular but you can consider it to be Milestone or Monthly, it doesn’t matter. You will get all the latest Android 4.2.2 features along with the latest CM elements. In order to make sure that you successfully flash this ROM on your Verizon Galaxy Nexus device, read the guidelines below:
- this CM 10.1 M2 ROM will work only for the Verizon variant of the Samsung Galaxy Nexus with the model number I515. Don’t try to flash these files for any other smartphone.
- Your phone has to be on an unlocked bootloader, rooted and running a custom Recovery image (CWM / TWRP). Without these you won’t be able to flash any custom ROMs for your device. You can find helpful guides here. If your device meets these minimum requirements then you can continue with the rest of this post’s instructions.
- Create a full NANDROID backup of your current ROM before installing the new one. This will serve as a restore point for your device and you can use it in case the device cannot boot using the new build of CM 10.1.
- In the tutorial guide you will find a step that tells you to wipe data and factory reset your phone. It will delete the /system partition to make room for the new ROM, you will lose installed apps, SMS, Call Logs and some other things. You can backup some data using the following tools for Android: SMS backup & restore | Call Logs backup & restore | APN Settings Backup & Restore | AppBack for Android application. Root access will be asked by some of these apps.
- If your phone is already running a previous CM10.1 Nightly ROM, then you can skip the ‘wipe data/ factory reset’ option.
- You should sync your Contacts data with your Gmail account. This will help you backup all the phone numbers and other contacts data that is currently on your device.
- Read the entire post and don’t skip any instructions that I’ve listed. Don’t blame us in case something goes wrong and you lose data or you brick the device.
- Make sure that there is enough battery power left before your VZW Galaxy Nexus switches off.
Now that you know all of the above, you can continue to the next part of this post.
How to flash CM 10.1 M2 Jelly Bean 4.2.2 ROM for the Verizon Galaxy Nexus:
- Download the CM 10.1 M2 ROM zip from HERE. Save the file on your PC without extracting the contents.
- Download Gapps for Android 4.2.2 JB ROMs from HERE. This has to be installed also so that you will get all the Google-based apps on your device. Save the file on computer and don’t unzip.
- Connect the phone to your PC and then move the downloaded files on to its internal SDcard. Disconnect the phone from PC when the files are copied successfully. After that you have to power off the smartphone.
- Boot your device into Fasboot mode by pressing Volume Up, Volume Down and Power, all at the same time until the selection menu appears. Use the volume buttons to select ‘RECOVERY’ option and then press Power to boot the CWM or TWRP Recovery mode. You can use either recovery images as the instructions are very similar. NOTE: We’ve used the CWM Recovery, but you can easily use the TWRP with the same instructions.
- OPTIONAL: Create a NANDROID backup of your current ROM using the ‘backup and restore’ option. This will set a restore point for your device and it is recommended that you create one.
- IMPORTANT: Select ‘wipe data/ factory reset’ option and confirm. NOTE: if your device is already running on a previous build of CM 10.1 then you can skip this step.
- Select ‘install zip from sdcard’ and then select ‘choose zip from sdcard’. Find the CM 10.1 M2 zip file and confirm its installation.
- After the ROM is installed with success you need to select again ‘choose zip from sdcard’ and then find the Gapps zip. Confirm the install.
- When both files have been flashed you need to return to the main menu of the Recovery mode.
- Select ‘reboot system now’ and wait until the first boot process of this new ROM completes. Please note that this shouldn’t take more than 5 minutes.
- Take control over your device when the welcoming screen appears and then you can start testing the new CM 10.1 M2 ROM.
If the first boot process takes too long to complete, then you should power off the device completely and then you need to repeat the entire tutorial once again. This time you have to make sure that you apply the actions listed under step 6. If you find any other roadblocks then you can ask for our help in comments.
If you don’t like how the new CyanogenMod 10.1 M2 runs for the Verizon Galaxy Nexus, then you should use the Recovery mode to restore the NANDROID backup of your previous ROM.