Android 4.2.2 JB JDQ39 has been leaked for the Verizon Galaxy Nexus and you can use this tutorial to learn how to successfully flash it to your smartphone easily. Read this entire post and make sure that you don’t skip any steps listed below.
It brings all the features of Android 4.2 Jelly Bean along with new radios that will improve the signal quality and the network strength. You will find all the other updates while testing this new ROM. For any questions regarding the update or the tutorial use the comments section at the end of this post.
This tutorial can be used for Un-rooted phones that are 100% stock Android 4.1.1 JRO03C firmware or using a custom Recovery for customized phones. If you use the Custom Rooted version of the JDQ39 update, then you will have to flash the new radios separately after the update is complete. To make sure that you install this update correctly, use the guidelines listed below:
- This guide will work only for the Verizon variant of the Samsung Galaxy Nexus. Do not use this post with any other phones or tablets, as you will end up bricking them.
- If your device is stock Android 4.1.1 JRO03C Jelly Bean then you should use the first guide, as the second one if for users on rooted Galaxy Nexus Verizon phones and they will have to use a custom Recovery. If your phone is rooted, then it should also have its bootloader in unlocked state as otherwise you won’t be able to flash the update.
- Enable USB Debugging option from your device’s Developer Options. NOTE: After the update is completed you will notice that the Android Developer Options menu doesn’t appear then you will be forced to open Settings, then tap About Phone and after that you will have to tap 7 times on the Build Number section, as that will enable Android Developer Options for your phone on Android 4.2.2 Jelly Bean.
- Make sure that your computer has installed the USB drivers for your smartphone.
- Disable all the Antivirus applications that are currently running on your PC, so that no other software will interfere with the updating process.
- Make sure that your device’s battery is charged so that its power level left is over 50%. This will prevent the device from powering off during the firmware update process.
- This is a guide for advanced Android users and you should be extremely careful while using the updating files. Note that we cannot be blamed in case you lose any data or you brick the phone in the process.
- Read the entire post and don’t skip any steps that I’ve listed. If you’re unable to complete the update, then you should ask for more help in our comments section.
Now that you know all of the above, I think that you should continue to the updating part of this post.
Use the first guide if your device is running stock Android 4.1.1 JRO03C Jelly Bean firmware.
Use the second guide in case your device is pre-rooted and update using a custom recovery image. Also, after the update is complete you should use the extra instructions on how to flash the new radios so that you’ll get the entire Jelly Bean 4.2.2 features.
I. How to update Verizon Galaxy Nexus to leaked Android 4.2.2 Jelly Bean JDQ39 Firmware (Guide for Non-Rooted devices):
- Download the Android 4.2.2 Jelly Bean JDQ39 leaked firmware zip from HERE or HERE. (The filename should look like this: 5939ff985946.signed-mysid-JDQ39-from-JRO03O.5939ff98.zip).
- Download the Fastboot zip from HERE. Extract its contents to a folder with the same name. You should extract its contents on your desktop screen for easier access.
- Next, copy the file downloaded in step 1 and paste to the ‘Fastboot’ folder obtained at step 2.
- Power off your smartphone now and boot it into Bootloader mode by pressing Volume Up, Volume Down and Power buttons. Release the buttons when the Bootloader Mode menu appears.
- Use the volume buttons to select ‘Recovery mode’ option. Confirm that you want to boot into this mode using the Power button. Wait for a new menu to show an Android and a red exclamation point and now you need to press ‘Volume Up’ to boot the stock Recovery mode.
- Next, select ‘apply update from adb’ option from the main menu of the Recovery mode.
- Now you need to use the USB cable and connect your device to your PC. All the drivers will now be installed and you can move to the next step when all of them are successfully installed. NOTE: if the USB drivers for Galaxy Nexus Verizon aren’t installed then you won’t be able to update the phone.
- Go to the ‘Fastboot’ folder. Press and hold ‘SHIFT’ key and then right-click on the folder’s white space. Select ‘open command prompt window here’ option from the context menu. The Command Prompt screen will load and you will need to use it to push the JDQ39 Jelly Bean 4.2.2 firmware file to your device.
- Enter the following command to flash the firmware update:
- adb devices - this will detect the Verizon Galaxy Nexus phone and if you see its device ID then you can enter the next command
- adb sideload 5939ff985946.signed-mysid-JDQ39-from-JRO03O.5939ff98.zip – this will sideload push the update to your device. When the 100% value is reached the update will begin to install.
- When the update is complete you will need to select ‘reboot system now’ option from the Stock Recovery menu.
Your device will now restart and after the boot animation appears you can disconnect it from your computer. That’s it, you’ve successfully updated your Verizon Galaxy Nexus to the latest Android 4.2.2 Jelly Bean build.
If your device is pre-rooted then you will need to follow the instructions listed in the second method below.
II. Install leaked Android 4.2.2 Jelly Bean JDQ39 Firmware Update for Rooted Verizon Galaxy Nexus:
Make sure that before using this guide you will backup all the data that is currently stored on your smartphone. When you’re done start the update process.
After this update is complete you should also flash the radios listed under this second tutorial for this firmware update.
- Download the custom Android 4.2.2 JB JDQ39 ROM from HERE. Don’t download the files listed in the first method as those aren’t supported by this second guide.
- Connect the phone to your PC and then move the ROM file on the phone’s internal SDcard. Copy the zip file downloaded in step 1 without extracting the contents.
- Boot the phone into CWM Recovery mode. First you need to boot the Fastboot / Bootloader mode using Volume Up, Volume Down and Power buttons. Select RECOVERY option and after that move to the next step.
- Create a NANDROID backup when the CWM Recovery mode menu appears. Do it by selecting ‘backup and restore’ option and confirm. Return to the main menu of the Recovery mode.
- Now, select ‘install zip from sdcard’ and then ‘choose zip from sdcard’. Find the ROM zip file and confirm that you want to install it.
- When the installation is complete you should return to the main menu of Recovery mode.
- Select ‘reboot system now’ and wait until your device boots into normal mode.
NOTE: if the phone doesn’t boot with this update firmware or it gets into a boot loop, then you should power off the device completely and after that boot it into CWM Recovery once again. Now, from the main menu of the CWM Recovery mode you should select ‘wipe data/ factory reset’ option and confirm this process. Restart your smartphone and after that it should boot into normal mode or you will have to repeat the entire tutorial once again.
After you install the firmware update using the second method you will have to flash the Android 4.2.2 JB radios in order to get better network strength and signal quality. Here’s how to install the radios:
- Download the Radios file from HERE. Save it on your PC and do not extract.
- Connect the phone to PC and move the Radios file to the device’s internal SDcard. Disconnect the smartphone from computer and then power it off.
- Boot into CWM Recovery mode.
- Select ‘install zip from sdcard’ and from the new menu select ‘choose zip from sdcard’. Find the Radios file and then confirm that you want to install it.
- Return to the main menu of the Recovery mode.
- Select ‘reboot system now’ and wait for the device to complete the first boot process with the new radios.
These were all the instructions that you had to follow. Now you can test the new Android 4.2.2 Jelly Bean JDQ39 operating system. Tell us in comments which are the best new features and if you found any bugs and errors while testing it.