The original I9195 Smasung Galaxy S4 Mini can now be updated to Android 4.4.2 using the official firmware tar.md5 file. Read our whole guide and you should be able to complete the installation easily without bricking the device.
This new update comes with improved interface, new white status bar icons, better multi-window and multi-tasking, lockscreen improvements, TouchWiz new features, enahnced battery life, and more.
Use our guide if you didn’t get the official OTA notification from Samsung / carrier. It is a manual guide that uses Odin and the official tar.md5 file of the XXUCNF9 Android 4.4.2 KK OS. The Windows app connects with your phone and then you simply load the file and send it to your Galaxy S4 mini LTE.
If you want to install this new ROM on your Android device, then you will first need to take a look at the preparation info below:
- use this post only with the Samsung Galaxy S4 Mini LTE model number I9195. – do not attempt to install this new update on any other Android device. – check the model number under Settings> About Phone menu. – if your phone doesn’t match the I9195 model number, then you cannot use this guide.
- make sure to install the Samsung USB Drivers on your PC before starting the manual update.
- enable USB Debugging in Developer Options. – in case you cannot find the option then you will have to enable Developer Options first; that’s a guide for Galaxy S5, but it works for all Android devices.
- disable Samsung KIES from running on your PC. – disable any antivirus app, too. – these apps will interfere with Odin and it might get blocked preventing you from installing the Android 4.4.2 XXUCNF9 firmware.
- in case your Galaxy S4 mini LTE is rooted then you need to know that the process will revoke root access. – if there is any custom Recovery installed it will also be replaced with a stock one.
- in case you install this new official Android 4.4.2 Update over a custom ROM, then you need to know that the whole system partition will be wiped in the process. – you will also need to apply a full ‘factory reset’ after the new ROM is installed. – there is more info listed at the end of this post. – the internal and external storage won’t be affected in the process.
- if you want to save data from installed apps use Helium for Android.
– sync Contacts info with your default Gmail account.
– this data has to be saved only if you’re running a custom ROM and you wish to backup important Contacts or SMS text messages.
- check the battery charge level and make sure that it is over 50%, it will prevent the device from switching off during installation.
- don’t blame us in case you brick the phone nor in case you end up losing data from your phone.
- read the entire tutorial and make sure that you will not skip any steps.
- use the guide only if you’re an advanced Android user.
Since you’ve read all the info listed above, now you can continue to the next part of this article and learn how to successfully flash an official KitKat update on your Samsung device.
Manual Update to Android 4.4.2 XXUCNF9 KitKat for Galaxy S4 mini LTE I9195:
- Download the I9195XXUCNF9 zip file from here.
- Extract the contents of the zip and you will find a I9195XXUCNF9 tar.md5 file. – don’t extract any further than that and leave the file on your computer.
- Download Odin3 v3.09 from here. – save all the unzipped Odin files on your computer.
- Power off the phone and then boot it in Download Mode.
- Launch the Odin executable on your PC.
- Now, connect the Galaxy S4 mini LTE with your computer via USB Cable. – you need to wait until the phone is detected by Odin. – in case the device is not recognized you will have to re-install the Samsung USB Drivers. – if everything is set you can continue to the next part of this post.
- Go back to Odin3 v3.09 window now.
- Click on its ‘AP’ button tab.
- Next, find the I9195XXUCNF9 tar.md5 file and load it in Odin. – check and see if ‘Re-Partition’ is disabled. – do not edit any other Odin settings.
- Hit the START button and wait until Odin completes the installation of Android 4.4.2 KitKat on your device. – the installation of this new ROM will take a while to complete, don’t press any buttons until the install is complete.
- When Odin says ‘PASS’ and the Galaxy S4 Mini LTE reboots in normal mode you can unplug the device from computer.
- Use your account info in order to log into your device’s new KitKat firmware.
These were all the steps that you had to follow in order to complete the installation of Android 4.4.2 I9195XXUCNF9 update manually on your Galaxy S4 mini LTE. If the process completed without problems, then you can close this guide. If you managed to hit some roadblocks, then you should continue reading the notes below.
If the Odin app fails to install the update and it shows the ‘FAIL’ message, then you will have to repeat the tutorial more than once. Make sure that your device meets all the requirements and that you didn’t skip any steps listed above.
If Odin tells you that the update was completed, but the phone enters into a boot loop or it stops loading the home screen after 20 minutes have passed since reboot, then you will most probably need to apply a factory reset for your device. A ‘factory reset’ process is needed in case you were running a custom ROM on your smartphone. Here’s how to apply the Factory Reset for Galaxy S4 Mini LTE:
- power off the phone completely and then boot it in Recovery Mode. – the recovery mode guide is for original Galaxy S4 phone, but it works with all Galaxy S4 model variations.
- select ‘wipe data/ factory reset’.
- confirm process.
- restart your device now in normal mode
I hope that you’ve managed to install the update and that your phones boots without problems in Android 4.4.2 KitKat ROM. If you need any more help, then you should use the comments field below.