The Samsung Galaxy S4 Mini might not get the official Lollipop update, but those users on Sprint are now able to install a new KitKat Security Update that patches a major security exploit.
Check the instructions listed in this post in order to learn how to successfully flash the new Android 4.4.2 firmware manually without waiting for the official files to be released over-the-air. As you already know, Sprint and Samsung are releasing these updates in stages.
The StageFright vulnerability allows attackers to steal data from your phone using a MMS video message. If you receive such message on your phone, then you shouldn’t open it until after you complete the update.
There are no extra improvements in this release and you will only get the security patch installed. Before starting the updating process you should read the guidelines below:
- use this post only with the Sprint Samsung Galaxy S4 Mini phones.
– your phone’s model number needs to be SPH – L520.
– check the model number of your device under Settings> About Phone.
- don’t try to update any other variants of Galaxy S4 Mini with the files that you will find in this article.
- download and install the Samsung USB Drivers for your PC from here.
– install the drivers so that your phone will be able to detect the computer and vice-versa.
- for the installation of the Android 4.4.2 Security Update you will have to use the Odin application.
– Odin is a small tool that allows Samsung users to flash new firmware updates for their devices.
– make sure to disable the Samsung KIES from your phone.
– also, disable any antivirus apps, too.
– these types of applications are going to try and block Odin from running on your device.
- if you have a rooted device, then the root access will be revoked.
– also, any custom Recovery will be replaced by a stock Recovery image.
- this new official firmware can be flashed over custom ROMs too, but you will end up applying a ‘factory reset’ after the install is done.
– the ‘factory reset’ wipes the system partition, it removes the old ROM and ti allows the new KitKat build to boot in normal mode.
– factory resetting the device won’t remove any data from the internal nor external storage.
– the factory reset steps are listed at the end of this article.
- if your phone runs on a 100% stock firmware, then you should be able to complete the update without any problems and no lost files.
- read the whole tutorial and make sure not to skip any steps.
- check the battery charge level and make sure that there is at least 40% left before the smartphone powers off completely.
– this will prevent the device from powering down while it boots the Android 4.4.2 firmware for the first time.
- this guide is for advanced Android users, we cannot be blamed in case you brick your phone nor in case you lose any data in the process.
Since you’ve read all of the above you can continue to the next part of this post right now.
Remember that you should still create backups for all important files before starting the update.
How to flash Android 4.4.2 Lollipop L520VPUBOH1 StageFright Update for Galaxy S4 Mini SPRINT:
- Download the Android 4.4.2 L520VPUBOH1 firmware archive from here.
- Unzip the contents in the archive and save them on your PC.
– you should obtain the L520VPUBOH1 tar.md5 firmware file.
- Download Odin3 v3.10.6 zip from here.
– extract the archived files.
- Power off the phone.
- Boot your device in Download Mode.
- Launch the Odin exe on your PC.
- Connect your device to your computer via USB cable.
– wait for Odin to detect the device.
– if the phone is not recognized you should reinstall the usb drivers.
- In Odin make sure to disable the Re-Partition option.
– do not change any other default Odin settings.
– if the ‘re-partition’ option is already disable after you open Odin, then you can continue to the next step.
- In Odin click on the AP button.
– you will be asked to load the new firmware file.
- Find and load the L520VPUBOH1 tar.md5 firmware file in Odin.
- Confirm the installation by clicking the START button.
– don’t press any buttons until the flashing process is completed with success.
- The phone will reboot in normal mode and ODIN will show the PASS message.
– unplug the phone from computer only when the ‘optimizing apps’ menu loads.
- Use your usual login info in order to regain complete control over your device once again.
These were all the steps that you had to take in order to complete the updating process of your Sprint Galaxy S4 Mini phone.
If you’ve encountered any problems during installation, then you should tell us in comments and we will make sure to come up with a solution for them.
Remember that this is a guide for advanced users, we cannot be blamed in case you end up losing any data in the process nor in case you brick the phone.
In case Odin fails to install the new firmware update, then you can try to repeat the whole tutorial more than once. If you do repeat the tutorial, then you will have to make sure that the phone meets all requirements and that you won’t be skipping any steps.
If ODIN shows the PASS alert, but the Galaxy S4 Mini is unable to boot in normal mode by getting stuck at the boot animation or it enters in a boot loop, then you will be forced to apply the extra ‘factory reset’ steps below.
The ‘factory reset’ has to be applied by those that have installed the Android 4.4.2 official ROM over a custom ROM, too. Here’s how to apply the ‘factory reset’:
- power off the phone.
- boot it in Recovery Mode.
- select the ‘wipe data/ factory reset’.
- confirm process.
- reboot device in normal mode.
If you need more help tell us in comments.