This is a tutorial that you can use in case the new official Android 4.4.2 XXU1ANDA firmware OTA Update hasn’t been made available for your tablet.
Updating the tablet is easy, but you should first take a look at the guidelines below, so that you will learn what you should be doing in order to correctly prepare your tablet for the installation of a new KitKat firmware build.
This guide should be applied only if you don’t have the patience to wait for the official OTA firmware to arrive in your region. This is also a great guide for those of you who are currently running a custom ROM on your tablets, as these modified devices will not receive any OTA Update notifications.
Here is what you should know before getting to the tutorial:
- use this article only with the 3G variant of Samsung Galaxy Tab 4 8.0 with model number set to SM – T331.
– do not try to update any other Galaxy Tab 4 8.0 tablet with a different model number as that will brick its firmware.
– do not update any other different Android device with the files that you will find in the tutorial.
- install Samsung USB Drivers for your computer from here.
– for the update you will use ODIN, a small Windows tool that can connect to your table via USB Cable only if the USB Drivers are installed.
- disable KIES and any antivirus app from running on your computer.
– these apps might interact with Odin and you cannot complete the update if the app gets blocked.
- enable the USB Debugging from Developer Options menu.
– if Developer Options doesn’t show up in the Settings menus, then you will have to un-hide it first.
– a guide to enable Developer Options is here – that’s a guide designed for Galaxy S5, but it should work on any Samsung device.
- if your tablet is rooted and you install a stock Android firmware you will revoke root access.
- in case the tablet now runs on a custom ROM, then by updating it with an original ROM you will lose the data stored on the system partition, but that is normal for this type of installation.
– the custom Recovery will also be replaced with a stock version.
– after you complete the installation of this new ROM update you will have to apply a ‘factory reset’ using the instructions listed at the end of this article.
– if you want to backup data from installed applications then you can use the Helium tool for Android.
– make sure to sync Contacts info with your Gmail account before getting to the tutorial.
- in case your tablet hasn’t been customized in any way and you’re running stock Android on it, then the update will not remove any files from it.
- note that the update is for advanced users, do not blame us in case you brick the firmware.
- read the whole guide and don’t skip any steps if you want to apply the update at your first attempt.
- check the tablet’s battery charge level and make sure that it is over 50%, so that the device will not switch off in the middle of the updating process.
Get to the tutorial if you’ve read all of the above.
How to flash XXU1ANDA Android 4.4.2 KitKat Update manually for Galaxy Tab 4 8.0 3G:
- Download the T331XXU1ANDA firmware zip from this SamMobile link here.
– note that you will require a SamMobile account in order to be able to download this file.
- After the download is complete you will have to extract the zip contents.
– save the extracted T331XXU1ANDA tar.md5 file on your computer.
- Download Odin3 v3.09 from here.
– extract its contents when the download is complete, save the files on your PC.
- Switch off the tablet.
– before you switch it off you should make sure that USB Debugging is enabled in Developer Options.
- Launch the Odin3 v3.09 exe on your computer.
- Boot your Galaxy Tab 4 8.0 3G in Download Mode.
– it can be done if you press and hold Volume Down, Home and Power at the same time.
– you will also need to confirm Download Mode by pressing Volume Up when the ‘warning’ info appears.
- Take the USB data cable and connect your tablet to your computer.
– wait until Odin detects your tablet and then continue to the next step.
– if the tablet is not detected you will have to re-install the Samsung USB Drivers.
- Get to the Odin window and then click on the “AP” button tab.
- Find the T331XXU1ANDA tar.md5 file and load it into Odin.
– also, make sure that the Odin Re-partition option is disabled.
– don’t edit any other default Odin settings.
- When you’re ready for the updating process you simply have to press the ‘START’ button.
- After the Android 4.4.2 XXU1ANDA firmware installation is complete you will see the device rebooting in normal mode and Odin will display the green ‘PASS’ confirmation.
I hope that the update has been completed and now you’re testing all the new features and functions of this new update.
In case Odin fails update by freezing or displaying the ‘FAIL’ alert, then you will have to repeat the entire tutorial once again. If you do decide to repeat the guide, then you should make sure that all steps are applied correctly and that your tablet’s model number is SM – T331.
If Odin says that the update was complete, but your Galaxy Tab 4 8.0 device isn’t able of booting in normal mode or, in case the tablet was running a custom ROM then you will be forced to apply a Factory Reset. After the Factory Reset the tablet will boot in normal mode.
How to apply Factory Reset for Galaxy Tab 4 8.0 3G model:
- power off the tablet completely.
- boot it in Recovery Mode.
– it can be done if you press and hold Volume Up, Home and Power.
– release the buttons when the Recovery menu appears.
- select ‘wipe data/ factory reset’.
- confirm process.
- reboot in normal mode after the process is completed.
If you need any extra help you should leave a detailed comment below.