If you own an International Galaxy S5 smartphone then you should use the info listed in this post in order to learn how to successfully update it to a brand new KitKat firmware.
This new release of Android 4.4.2 has been released this month for various regions around the world and it brings fixes and tweaks that should make your device much more stable. If you don’t want to wait until Samsung pushes the official firmware to your device, then you can use our manual installation guide below.
Before starting the update you need to read the following guidelines;
- use this guide only with the International Samsung Galaxy S5 model number SM – G900F.
– check the model number under Settings> About Phone and make sure that it says G900F.
– if your device doesn’t match the model number listed above, you shouldn’t use this tutorial.
- make sure to install the Samsung USB Drivers for your PC from here.
– these drivers allows you to connect your Galaxy S5 with your computer via USB Cable.
– for the update you will have to use Odin3 v3.09 app and the USB Drivers will allow Odin to detect the phone.
- disable the antivirus and the Samsung KIES apps from running on your PC.
- enable USB Debugging from Developer Options menu.
– if the Developer Options isn’t shown under Settings section, then you should check the info listed here on how to enable it, too.
- in case your Galaxy S5 G900F is rooted, then you should know that the update will revoke root access.
– also, any custom Recovery that’s installed on your phone will be removed in the process.
- in case your smartphone is currently sporting a custom ROM you will see that the system memory will be wiped in the process.
– if you overwrite a custom ROM with this stock Android 4.4.2 ROM, then you will also have to apply a ‘factory reset’ after the update is complete.
– ‘factory reset’ will not delete any data from the internal nor external storage.
– if you wish to save data from installed apps or SMS text messages you can do it with Helium for Android.
– Contacts can be synced with your default Gmail account.
- check your Galaxy S5 G900F battery charge level and make sure that it is over 40%, this will prevent the device from switching off during installation.
- this tutorial should be applied by advanced Android users, do not blame us in case you brick your phone in the process.
- read all the instructions and don’t skip any steps in case you want to complete the update at the first step.
Since you’ve read all of the above you can continue to the next part of this guide and learn how to update your phone.
How to flash Android 4.4.2 XXU1ANG9 for Galaxy S5 G900F:
- Download the G900FXXU1ANG9 Android 4.4.2 ROM zip from here.
– you will have to create an account with SamMobile in order to download the file from their servers.
- Extract the zip contents and save them on your PC.
– G900FXXU1ANG9 tar.md5 will be obtained after the extracted.
- Download Odin3 v3.09 from here.
– extract the contents of the zip and save them on your computer.
- Switch off your device.
- Next, boot your Galaxy S5 in Download Mode.
- Now you can open the Odin3 v3.09 exe on your computer.
- Connect the smartphone to your PC now.
– wait for Odin to detect the smartphone and then continue to the next step.
– in case the device is not detected, the you should re-install the Samsung USB Drivers.
- First thing that you need to do now is to click on Odin’s AP button.
- Find the G900FXXU1ANG9 tar.md5 file and load it in Odin.
– note that the Re-Partition option has to be disabled.
– don’t change other Odin settings.
- Hit the START button in order to begin the install of Android 4.4.2 ROM for your Galaxy S5.
– don’t press any buttons until the installation is not complete.
- When the update is complete you will see your phone rebooting and Odin will display the ‘PASS’ alert.
- The reboot process will take a while to complete, don’t press any buttons until you see the home screen of your new ROM.
- Use your login details in order to take control over your device once again.
These were all the steps that you had to take in order to update your Galaxy S5 with a brand new official Android 4.4.2 stock ROM.
If the process fails, then you should try to repeat the whole guide more than once or you can choose to read the extra info listed below. If you repeat the guide, then you should make sure that your phone meets all the requirements and that you won’t skip any steps.
In case ODIN freezes or any errors is displayed you should try to repeat the whole guide more than once. Make sure that the Galaxy S5 G900F meets the requirements listed in the guidelines and that you will not skip any steps. For more help you can use the comments field at the end of this post.
If ODIN tells you that the update was completed with success, but your smartphone cannot boot in normal mode, then you will be forced to try a ‘factory reset’. This process has to be applied for phones that were previously running a custom ROM, too. Here’s how to do it: boot the phone in Recovery Mode and then use the ‘wipe data/ factory reset’ option. Confirm process and you should be done.