If you want the best for your Android based smartphone, then you need to update it to Android 4.4 KitKat OS. Now, do that even if there isn’t an official OTA released for your device, as you can anytime choose a custom ROM software. These custom updates are quite important as the firmware will usually bring stock and extra Android 4.4 features and capabilities that can be used for powering up the performances of your Android smartphone. Now, if we are to talk about the Sony Xperia Ion, you should know that you can easily update the same to Android 4.4 KitKat OS by flashing the new PureSlim custom ROM firmware.
Installing PureSlim Android 4.4 KitKat software on your Xperia Ion will be an easy task to perform, as all you need to know about this procedure is being detailed and explained during the guidelines from below. Anyway, you should know that this step by step guide is complex and also risky so the steps explained here shouldn’t be applied without consulting my explanations first – don’t perform things by yourselves because you can end up in messing things up or in bricking your Android device.
PureSlim is based on the SlimKat custom ROM firmware so features will be ported from the mentioned OS. More, PureSlim comes with Android 4.4 KitKat software above all, so by using this platform you will be able to safely update your Sony Xperia Ion to latest version of Android, and this ahead of official release. Therefore, PureSlim isn’t representing an official Android 4.4 update, so the same has nothing to do with Sony or with Google. Furthermore, the firmware has been developed by those of xda-developers so we have them to thanks for the present tutorial.
In order to conclude, we can say that PureSlim is a free aftermarket distribution of Android 4.4 KitKat OS, developed by third party devs and compatible with your Xperia Ion. The ROM is also based on the SlimKat system and will bring both stock and extra features, apps and capabilities to your Android device. As already mentioned, these custom features can be then used for powering up the performances of your Xperia Ion. That’s why, with PureSlim installed, your smartphone will perform faster, you will be able to gain more power, use an updated web browsing experience, enjoy an upgraded battery life and perform other complex operations on your phone like: overclocking the CPU, removing the bloatware, add new custom programs and lot more.
According to those who have already installed Android 4.4 KitKat OS on the Xperia Ion, the PureSlim firmware is smoothly running on the same. The system is stable and comes without major bugs or issues so you can flash the ROM for a daily use. If you have decided to do so, first of all complete the pre requisites from below and then take care of the proper update procedure.
- First of all you need to unlock the bootloader of your Xperia Ion. The bootloader must be unlocked because the operations mentioned below can’t be completed on a locked Android device. Make sure to use a compatible tutorial for your Sony smartphone because unlocking the bootloader isn’t an official operation.
- Then, root your Xperia Ion. Also gaining root access is essential for us as PureSlim Android 4.4 KitKat OS can be flashed only on a rooted Android device.
- Finally, install a custom recovery image on your phone. Make sure you are flashing the latest version of CWM or TWRP recovery because the present ROM can be applied only by using the same.
- These operations aren’t official. Because of that, when applying the same, the Xperia Ion warranty will get void. For restoring the warranty you will have to downgrade / update your phone to stock / official Android OS – only manually as on a rooted handset the OTA updates can’t be received.
- A backup is strongly recommended because a wipe must be performed before flashing the update on your device. So, before doing anything else save everything that’s important from you – take care only of the data that is saved on the internal storage memory of your Xperia Ion. Don’t forget to make a Nandroid backup on your way as it is quite important to save the current ROM when dealing with a custom firmware.
- Also, this is a manual installation procedure; in order to apply the steps from below you will have to use a computer, your smartphone and its USB cable.
- Then on the computer the best will be to deactivate the security protection – temporarily disable the antivirus, antimalware and the other similar programs that are currently running on your PC.
- From path “menu – settings – developer options” enable the USB debugging option on your Sony Xperia Ion.
- At the same time, you handset must have at least 60% power left; if different before going any further plug in the charger and ensure that your Xperia Ion can stay “alive” during the installation procedure from below.
- This step by step guide is compatible only with the Sony Xperia Ion. So install PureSlim Android 4.4 KitKat OS by using the steps from below, only if you own the mentioned Android based device.
How to Install Android 4.4 PureSlim Firmware on Sony Xperia Ion
- On your computer download the required files: the Android 4.4 KitKat PureSlim firmware and the Google Apps package.
- You can get the update file from here, while you can download the Google apps from here.
- Save both files on your computer and place the same on desktop – do not unzip these files.
- Now, connect your Xperia Ion with your computer.
- Establish the connection by using your phone’s official USB cable.
- Then, from computer transfer the downloaded files on your phone’s SD card.
- Remove the USB cord – the computer isn’t useful no more.
- Turn off your smartphone because you need to enter recovery mode.
- Use how to do that by using our dedicated tutorial from here.
- Then, from recovery first wipe the data and clear cache.
- Do the wipe by selecting “wipe data factory reset”.
- Also, clear the cache by choosing “wipe cache partition” and “wipe dalvick cache”.
- Return to main menu of recovery.
- From there, this time select “install zip from SD card” followed by “choose zip from SD card”.
- Pick the firmware file and install the Android 4.4 update on your Sony Xperia Ion.
- Similar, follow the same step and flash Google apps package on your Android device.
- In the end, from recovery you just have to select “reboot system now” and you are done.
Congratulations; you have finally updated your Sony Xperia Ion to Android 4.4 KitKat OS. Of course, a custom ROM firmware – the SlimKat based PureSlim platform to be more precise – is now running on your smartphone, so the first thing to do is to test the features, the apps and the capabilities that have been applied on your device. If you find problems, or bugs, do use the comments area from below for sharing the issues with us and with other users who might use this dedicated step by step guide.