Android 6.0.1 Marshmallow update is now live for all the Samsung Galaxy S5 Neo G903F variants.
If you don’t want to wait until Samsung pushes the new update in your region, then you can install the update manually using the Odin app. These Android 6.0.1 Marshmallow official updates are done over-the-air and it will take a while before it reaches all the Galaxy S5 G903F models.
The info below can be used by those that are running a custom ROM on their phones. The official firmware can be installed over a custom ROM, but you will have to factory reset the device after the flashing process is done installing. Before starting the flashing process you should check the following guidelines below:
- use this tutorial only with the Samsung Galaxy S5 Neo devices.
– check the version of your phone on Settings> About Phone section.
– make sure that the SM – G903F version is listed there.
- don’t try to update any other different devices with the files that you will find in this post.
- download the Samsung USB Drivers from here.
– install the drivers on your PC, so that the phone is going to be detected by the computer.
- for the updating process you will need to use the Odin app.
– Odin is a small tool that has been created in order to help Samsung users update their devices manually.
– for Odin to work with your PC you will need to install those usb drivers, to stop any official Samsung firmware from running on your PC and for the USB Debugging to enabled in the Developer Options menu.
- The Developer Options might be hidden on your phone which is why you have to enable these first by going to Settings> About Phone and tapping 7 times on the Build Number section.
– the Developer Options will now be listed under Settings.
– find Developer Options menu, enable it and then find the USB Debugging to enable it, too.
- the new update can be flashed over rooted firmware, but you need to know that root access will be lost in the process.
– any custom Recovery is going to be replaced with a stock Recovery Mode image.
- you can flash the new update over a custom ROM, too.
– you have to factory reset the device after the update is installed.
– the ‘factory reset’ wipes the system partition, but no data will be lost in the process.
– factory resetting the phone is going to remove the old custom ROM and it will allow your device to boot in normal mode.
– the factory reset steps are listed at the end of this post and you should apply them only after the update is done.
- if your phone runs 100% stock Android, then the updating process of Android 6.0.1 Marshmallow can be applied right away.
- read the whole post and do not skip any steps.
- check the battery charge level of your device and make sure that it is over 50%, as it will prevent your device from switching off during the Android 6.0.1 update process.
- use this tutorial only if you are an advanced user, we cannot be blamed in case you brick the phone nor in case you lose any of your important data files.
If you’re unable to complete the update, then you can choose to wait until Samsung pushes the new official update in your region.
How to flash Android 6.0.1 Marshmallow Update for Samsung Galaxy S5 Neo G903F:
- Download the Android 6.0.1 update from here.
- Extract the contents from the firmware archive.
– you should obtain the G903FXXU1BPE1 tar.md5 firmware updating file.
– do not unzip the tar.md5 archive.
- Download Odin3 v3.10.7 zip from here.
– extract the Odin contents and save them on your PC.
- Power off the phone.
- Boot it in Download Mode.
- Launch the Odin exe on your computer.
- Connect the Galaxy S5 Neo to computer via usb cable.
– wait for the Odin app to add the phone.
– if no phone is detected by Odin, then you will need to reinstall the Samsung usb drivers.
- Go to Odin, open Options and make sure that ‘Re-Partition’ is disabled.
– don’t edit other default Odin options.
- In Odin click the AP button.
- Find the G903FXXU1BPE1 tar.md5 firmware file and load it in ODIN.
Press START in order to confirm the installation process of Android 6.0.1 Marshmallow.
- When the update is done you can see the PASS alert in Odin and your Galaxy S5 Neo reboots in normal mode.
– note that the first boot process of this new ROM is going to take a while before it loads all the new files.
- Unplug the phone from PC when the “optimizing apps” menu loads on your phone’s screen, as that the message that the update was completed successfully.
I hope that you’ve managed to complete the Android 6.0.1 update for your phone. If you have encountered any problems during installation, then you should check the extra info listed below.
If Odin shows the FAIL alert or other error, then you will have to try and repeat the whole tutorial more than once. Make sure that in case you repeat installation, then you won’t be skipping any steps and that your phone meets all requirements listed above the tutorial.
If the PASS message is shown by ODIN, but your smartphone enters a boot loop or it gets stuck at the boot animation screen for more than 20 minutes, then you will be forced to ‘factory reset’ the system partition.
The ‘factory reset’ steps are listed below and you should apply them in case you have installed the new update over a custom ROM. Here’s how to factory reset the device:
- power off the phone.
- boot it in Recovery Mode.
- select ‘wipe data/ factory reset’.
- reboot the phone in normal mode and you are done with this post.
If you need more help you can tell us in comments.