The official Android 7.0 Nougat update is now rolling out for the Samsung Galaxy A7 devices. Check the guidelines in this article and learn how to manually flash the new firmware before it gets released over-the-air in your region.
The Android 7 Nougat update is being rolled out in stages for all users of Galaxy A7, but not everyone will get the files at the same time. Odin is the tool that you will have to use in order to flash the new update manually.
Odin is also capable of installing the new Android 7.0 update over a custom ROM, too, as this helps those users who are looking to get back to 100% stock Android firmware.
Check the following guidelines before starting the flashing process:
- use this tutorial only with the Samsung Galaxy A7 Unlocked models worldwide.
– the model version of your device can be verified under Settings> About Device section, make sure that SM – A710F is listed there.
- do not try to use this guide for other different Galaxy A7 models.
- download and install on your PC the Samsung USB drivers from here.
- ODIN needs for your PC to run the latest USB drivers and for the USB Debugging option to be enabled from the Developer Options menu.
– the Developer Options might be hidden, and you can unhide it by going to Settings> About Device> Software Info and here tap 7 times on the Build Number text.
– return to Settings and there you will find the Developer Options menu.
– open Developer Options and find USB Debugging to enable it.
- the new official update can be flashed over rooted firmware, but you need to know that root access won’t survive the update process.
– any custom Recovery that you might have flashed will be replaced with stock Recovery image.
- you can install Android 7.0 Update with ODIN over custom ROMs, too, but you also have to Factory Reset the device in the process.
– the Factory Reset process will wipe clean the system partition, it removes the old custom ROM and it forces your device to boot in normal mode.
– Factory Resetting the smartphone will allow it to boot in normal mode with the new Android 7.0 firmware files.
– the ‘factory reset’ process won’t remove any data files from your device’s internal storage.
- if your phone runs 100% stock Android firmware, then you won’t be losing any data files from your phone and you can continue straight to the installation part of this post.
- read the whole tutorial and don’t skip any steps.
- this guide is destined to be used by advanced users, as we cannot be blamed in case you end up bricking your device nor in case you lose any important data files.
If you’re unsure about manually updating your device, then you can choose to wait until Samsung pushes the new Nougat firmware files in your region.
You can check for new update files by going to Settings> Software Update> Download Updates Manually menu. If a firmware file is ready for download then you simply need to confirm the process and your Galaxy A7 device will take care of the rest of the process by itself.
Now that you know all of the above you can continue to the next part of this process.
How to flash Android 7.0 Update for Samsung Galaxy A7 Unlocked International Models:
- Download the Android Nougat firmware update archive from here.
Grab the file corresponding to your country.
- After the download is done you can unzip the contents. Save the obtained files on your PC.
You will get the Android 7.0 tar.md5 firmware update file. Don’t extract the “tar.md5” archive, as that’s the file you need to load and flash using ODIN.
- Download ODIN 3.12.3 zip from here.
– when the download is done you can extract the contents.
- Power off the phone.
- Boot it in Download Mode: press and hold Volume Down + Home + Power buttons.
– release the buttons when the “warning” screen loads, then press Volume Up to confirm Download Mode boot.
- Open Odin exe on your PC.
- Connect the phone to PC via usb cable.
– wait for the Galaxy A7 to be detected by the computer.
– if the phone is not added you need to reinstall the Samsung USB drivers.
- In Odin click the AP button.
- Find and load the Android 7.0 tar.md5 firmware update file in ODIN.
– it should be the file obtained at step 2.
- Now you can confirm the update process by clicking the START button.
– don’t press any buttons until the update is done installing.
- When installation is completed successfully you will see the PASS alert.
Reboot the phone and then unplug it from computer.
Use your default login info in order to regain control over your device once again.
I hope you’ve managed to complete the update process. If you need any extra help completing the installation you need to check the info below or you can choose to ask for more help in comments.
If ODIN shows the FAIL message, then you will need to repeat the whole tutorial more than once. In case you repeat installation you need to make sure that your Galaxy A7 phone meets all requirements and that you won’t skip any steps.
If PASS is shown by the ODIN app, but your Galaxy A7 enters in a boot loop or it gets stuck at the boot animation screen, then you will have to Factory Reset the phone system partition.
The Factory Reset steps found below need to be used by those that were running a custom ROM on their phones previously to installing the Android 7.0 update. The Factory Reset is needed, so that your phone will boot in normal mode with the new Nougat firmware.
Here’s how to Factory Reset the phone:
- power off the Galaxy A7.
- boot it in Recovery Mode: press and hold Volume Up + Home + Power; release the buttons when the Android load screen appears; now press and hold Power then press once Volume Up; wait until Recovery Mode menu loads.
- select ‘wipe data/ factory reset’ option.
- confirm process.
If you need more help completing the installation you can tell us below.