The Google Nexus 6 devices are getting updated to Android 7.1.1 Nougat OS, but not all users are getting the new firmware files at the same time as others.
Check this post in order to learn how to successfully install the Android 7.1.1 official OTA Update for the Nexus 6 phones. This tutorial teaches you how to manually flash the new update using the ADB Sideload command.
Before starting the installation process you should be reading the following guidelines:
- use this tutorial only with the Google Nexus 6 smartphones.
– don’t try to update any other devices with the files that you will find in this post.
- this tutorial is destined to be used by advanced users, we cannot be blamed in case you brick the phone nor in case you lose any data in the process.
- this new OTA Android 7.1.1 update can be flashed using ADB Sideload method only over 100% stock Android firmware.
– you can’t flash any official OTA Android 7.1.1 official updates over rooted, custom ROMs or any other modified firmware.
- if your device is running stock Android you can continue to the next part of this post right away.
- you have to enable USB Debugging option from the Developer Options of your phone.
– also, you need to enable the OEM Unlock option from the same Developer Options menu.
– if you can’t find Developer Options, then you have to unhide it by going to Settings> About Phone and tapping 7 times on the Build Number text.
– the Developer Options menu will now show up under the Settings menu.
- check the whole guide first and do not skip any steps.
- check your phone’s battery charge of your device, and make sure that there is at least 50% charge left before your smartphone switches off.
Now that you know all of the above you can continue to the next part of this post.
How to install Android 7.1.1 Nougat official OTA Update for Nexus 6 using ADB Sideload:
Before starting the flashing process you have to setup the Android ADB and Fastboot Binaries. Here’s how to do that:
- download the Platform-Tools zip from here for Windows, for Mac OS here, or here for Linux systems.
- extract the contents and create a Platform-Tools folder on your computer.
- after that you have to download and install the Google USB Drivers from here.
– install the usb drivers on your computer.
Now that you’ve done that you will surely be able to connect your phone with your PC.
How to ADB Sideload Android 7.1.1 Nougat Factory Image for Nexus 6:
- Download Android 7.1.1 N6F26Q OTA image file from here.
- After the download is complete you have to rename the file to update.zip
- Next, move the update.zip file in the Platform-Tools folder.
– this folder is the one you’ve configured above.
- Power off the phone.
- Boot the Nexus 6 in Recovery Mode.
- Select ‘apply updaate from adb” option from the Recovery Mode.
- Connect your Nexus 6 with your PC.
– verify that your phone has been detected by the computer.
- Go to Platform-tools folder and open a command prompt there.
– make sure that the command prompt/ terminal window address is set to “platform-tools” directory.
- Start Android 7.1.1 update by entering the following command line in the terminal/ Windows CMD window: adb sideload update.zip
- Confirm the flashing process.
- Reboot your Nexus 6 in normal mode when the update is done.
Unplug the phone from PC, and use your default login info in order to regain control over your device.
These were the steps that you had to follow in order to complete the Android 7.1.1 update for your device. If you need more help you can tell us in comments below.