The official new Android 8.0 OREO images are now live for all the Google Pixel users to install on their phones.
If you are interested on updating your phone before Google pushes the new firmware update files over-the-air in your region, then this is the tutorial you have to follow.
Android 8.0 Oreo official update is being rolled out over-the-air usually, but not everyone will get these files at the same time, which is why you can opt to manually install them. The files have been uploaded to Google’s Developers website and below you will find all instructions you need in order to flash the new firmware update manually.
Before starting the flashing process you have to check the following guidelines:
- use the tutorial only with the Google Pixel devices.
- don’t try to use the guide for other different Android devices.
- you have to flash the new Android 8.0 OREO OTA update image only over 100% stock Android firmware.
– if you have modified your phone’s OS in any way, then the update process won’t work.
- this tutorial needs to be applied by advanced users only.
- we cannot be blamed if you brick your phone nor in case you lose any important data file.
- make sure to create backups for your most important files.
- you should enable USB Debugging from Developer Options menu.
- if you can’t find Developer Options, then you need to enable that first: go to Settings> About Device and tap seven times on the Build Number text.
– get back to Settings, as Developer Options will now be listed there.
– open Developer Options and find USB Debugging to enable it.
- make sure that the Google Pixel battery charge levels are over 50%, as otherwise you cannot install the new firmware update files.
- read the entire guide and do not skip any steps.
Now that you know all of the above you can continue to the next part of this tutorial.
How to update Google Pixel to Android 8.0 OREO using ADB Sideload:
First thing that you have to do is to setup the Platform-Tools and ADB Fastboot Drivers for your computer. This will allow your computer to detect the phone and vice-versa.
Here’s how to do that:
- download Platform-Tools zip for your computer’s OS using the links below:
– for Windows click here.
– for Mac OS here.
– for Linux click here.
- extract the contents from the zip and save them on your PC.
- download Google USB drivers from here, then make sure to install them on your computer.
- make sure to leave the Platform-tools folder open.
ADB Sideload Android 8.0 OTA Update for Pixel device:
- Download Android 8.0.0 OTA update file from here.
- After the download is completed successfully you need to rename the file to update.zip
- The file can now be moved to Platform-Tools folder.
- Switch off the device.
- Boot your Google Pixel in Recovery Mode.
- From the Recovery Mode menu you have to select apply update from adb option.
- Connect your Google Pixel to your PC using the USB cable.
– make sure that the phone was detected by the computer, then continue to the next step.
- Get to Platform-Tools folder.
Launch a command prompt/ terminal in this particular directory.
- In CMD / Terminal window enter this command line in order to initiate the update process:
adb sideload update.zip
- Do not press any buttons until the installation is done.
- When the flashing process has been completed successfully you can reboot your smartphone in normal mode.
I hope that you’ve managed to complete the update. Make sure to unplug the phone from PC when the fist boot process is started, and to use your default login info in order to regain control over your Pixel device once again.
If you need more help you can tell us in comments or you can check the Google Developer website here.