The official Android 8.0 Oreo Factory Image is now live for all the Google Nexus 5X smartphones. If you’re planning on restoring your device to stock Android, then this guide will teach you how to do that easily.
The Android 8.0 Factory Image is a complete copy of a stock operating system, and you should know that by installing it you will end up deleting all the data currently stored on your smartphone. Remember to create backups for all the files that are currently stored on your device.
If you are running an older Android OS build, or a custom ROM on your Nexus 5X device, and you’re looking for a fresh start, then you can easily do it by flashing an official Android 8.0 Oreo System image. All the data from your phone will be removed in the process to make room for the new official Stock Android 8.0 Oreo build.
Before starting the flashing process you should be checking the guidelines below:
- use this guide only with the Google Nexus 5X devices.
- do not try to use this post for other different Android smartphones.
- enable USB Debugging from Developer Options.
- if the Developer Options menu is hidden, then you have to unhide it: go to Settings> About Phone and here you need to tap seven times on the Firmware Build Number text.
- go back to Settings, as Developer Options menu should now be listed there.
– find USB Debugging and enable it.
– also, find OEM Unlock option and enable that, too.
- all the data from your Nexus 5X will be wiped in the process, which is why you should save everything you can before starting the flashing process.
– the data will be wiped because your phone’s bootloader needs to be unlocked and the Factory Image installation of Android 8.0 cannot be completed without this task.
- this guide has to be used by advanced users, we cannot be blamed in case you brick the phone nor in case you lose any data files.
- read all the instructions and don’t skip any steps.
Now that you know all of the above you can continue to the info below.
SETUP Android ADB and Fastboot Drivers (Platform-Tools) for your computer:
The Platform-Tools and ADB drivers setup allows your computer to connect with your Nexus 5X. Without these drivers you cannot install the Android 8.0 Oreo Factory Image.
Here’s how to setup the Platform-Tools:
- Download the Platform-tools zip using the corresponding links below:
– for Windows computers click here.
– for Mac OS click here.
– for Linux click here.
- Extract the files from the archive and save the Platform-tools folder on your computer’s main system partition.
- Make sure to leave the newly created folder open.
- You need to install the Google USB drivers, too. Click here to download and install them.
Continue to the next part of this post and learn how to flash the new Oreo OS factory image.
How to Install Android 8.0 Oreo Factory Image for Nexus 5X:
- Download Android 8.0 Factory Image from here.
- Extract the files and save them all to Platform-Tools.
– don’t extract the files any further that you’ve already done.
- Power off the Nexus 5X.
- Boot the Nexus 5X in Bootloader Mode.
- Go to Platform-Tools folder and open a Command Prompt / Terminal window in this particular folder.
- Connect the Nexus 5X with your PC via usb cable.
– make sure that your device has been detected by the computer.
- You have to unlock the bootloader first. In the command window enter the following command line and press Enter: fastboot flashing unlock
Confirm the process and continue to the next step.
- Go to Platform-Tools folder again and find the Flash-all.bat script. Launch it.
– for operating systems other than Windows run the Flash-all.sh script.
- Confirm the Flash-all.bat Android 8.0 flashing process. Now wait for the installation to be completed.
- After installation is done you will a confirmation message.
Disconnect the phone from PC and then boot your device in normal mode. Note that the first boot process might take a while.
If the installation process fails, then you will need to re-read all the instructions above the tutorial, check the Google guide here, and to make sure that your phone meets all requirements. Also, you can choose to ask for more help below.