Android 8.1.0 Factory Images have been rolled out for all the Google Pixel 2 smartphones. Check the guidelines listed in this post in order to learn how to manually flash the new factory images on your device.
Installing a factory image is not that hard of a task to complete, but you should know that all the data stored on your device will be wiped in the process. It would be best for you to backup all the important files before starting the installation process.
Before starting the flashing process you need to check the following guidelines:
- use this tutorial only with the Google Pixel 2 smartphones.
– do not attempt to update any other different Pixel 2 models with the files found in this post.
- make sure to enable USB Debugging from the Developer Options menu.
– the Developer Options might be hidden which is why you have to enable them first: go to Settings> About Phone and tap seven times on the Firmware Build Number text.
– Developer Options will now be shown under Settings, open them and enable USB Debugging option, too.
– also, you might need to enable the OEM Unlock option, too.
- use the tutorial only if you are an advanced user, we cannot be blamed in case you brick the phone nor in case you lose any important data files.
- read the whole post and don’t skip any steps.
- check battery charge level, make sure that it’s over 50% and continue with the installation process.
Since you have read all of the above you can get to the next part of this article.
How to flash Android 8.1.0 Factory Image for Google Pixel 2:
You have to setup the Android ADB and the Fastboot drivers before starting the installation of the Oreo 8.1 factory image, as this will help you connect the phone with the PC.
Download Platform-Tools.zip for your computer’s OS using the links below:
- for Windows click here.
- for Mac OS click here.
- for Linux click here.
- after the download is done you can extract the archived contents.
- save the files on your PC in a folder named Platform-Tools.
- download Google USB drivers from here and install them on your PC.
Now you can get to the next part of this post.
Install Android 8.1.0 Factory Image for Pixel 2:
- Download Android 8.1.0 factory image file from here.
- After the download is completed you have to extract its archived contents and save them on your PC.
- Switch off the device.
- Boot it in Fastboot Mode.
- Get to the Platform-Tools folder.
- Open a command prompt / terminal window with the address set for the Platform-Tools folder. Make sure to run it with administrator rights.
- Connect the smartphone to PC via usb cable.
Make sure to verify that the device has been detected by the PC, and then get to the next step.
- First you have to unlock the Pixel 2 Bootloader using the following command line: fastboot flashing unlock
– confirm process.
- Return to Platform-Tools now and start the install process.
Run flash-all.bat for Windows PC, or the Flash-all.sh script if you are a Linux or Mac OS user.
- Confirm the Android 8.1.0 Factory Image flash process and wait for the install to complete.
These were the steps you had to follow. Reboot the phone in normal mode, unplug it from PC when the installation is done and use your default Google Account to restore the data back to your device.
If you need any extra help completing the tutorial, then you should tell us in comments below.