The official Android 8.1.0 Factory Image builds are live for the Telus-only Google Pixel 2 XL devices.
Check all the instructions listed in this post in order to learn how to manually flash the new factory image files for your Pixel 2 XL devices.
Installing a factory image of Android 8.1.0 Oreo on the Pixel 2 XL can be easily flashed by advanced users, but you have to know that all the data will be completely wiped from your smartphone during installation. The guide below can be used to restore your Pixel 2 XL Telus phone to 100% stock Android firmware using the factory image files of Android 8.1 Oreo, which is a great thing for those of you running a custom ROM and now are looking to get rid of it.
Before starting the flashing process you need to check the following guidelines:
- use this tutorial only for the Google Pixel 2 XL Telus devices.
– the tutorial cannot be used for other different Pixel 2 XL models.
- you need to enable USB Debugging and OEM Unlock options from the Developer Options menu.
– the Developer Options might be hidden, so you have to go to Settings> About Phone and tap seven times on the Build Number text.
– return to Settings, find Developer Options and enable USB Debugging option first.
– next, find OEM Unlock and enable that, too.
- installing the Android 8.1.0 Factory Image will delete all the data stored on your Pixel 2 XL device.
– make sure to backup all the important data files before starting the flashing process.
- this is a guide that you have to use only in case you are an advanced user, as we cannot be blamed in case you brick the device nor in case you lose any important data files.
- read the whole guide and don’t skip any steps.
- check the battery charge level of your phone, and make sure that there is at least 50% charge left before the smartphone powers off completely.
Since you’ve read all of the above you can now continue to the next part of this post.
How to flash Android 8.1.0 Oreo Factory Image for TELUS Pixel 2 XL:
First thing that you need to do is to setup the Platform-Tools and usb drivers for your PC. Here’s how to do it.
Download Platform-Tools zip from the links below. Make sure to grab the files that correspond to your computer’s OS:
- for Windows click here.
for Linux click here.
for Mac OS here.
- after the download is done you have to extract the contents and save them on your PC.
– save the files under a single folder named Platform-Tools, then continue to the next step.
- download the Google USB drivers from here.
– install the drivers on your PC.
You can continue to the Oreo factory image installation steps.
Install Android 8.1.0 Factory Image for Pixel 2 XL TELUS:
- Download the Android 8.1.0 Factory Image archive file from here.
- After the download is completed you can extract the archived contents and save them on your PC.
- Switch off the device.
- Boot it in Fastboot Mode.
- Get to Platform-Tools folder and launch a command prompt/ terminal with admin rights there.
- Connect the phone to PC via usb cable.
Verify that the phone has been detected and continue to the next step.
- You need to unlock the Bootloader of your Pixel 2 XL Telus first.
Enter the following command line: fastboot flashing unlock
Confirm the process.
- Now you can start the Oreo factory image installation.
Go to Platform-Tools folder and launch the flash-all.bat script for Windows, or the flash-all.sh script if you’re using Linux / Mac OS computers.
Confirm the Android 8.1.0 factory image installation and wait for the process to be completed.
- When installation is done you can unplug the phone from PC, and reboot the device in normal mode.
If you need any extra help you can tell us in comments below. Also, if the installation fails you can repeat the process more than once, but make sure that you won’t skip any steps and that your phone meets the requirements listed above the tutorial.