The new official Android 8.1.0 February 2018 OTA Update images have been released by Google for all Nexus 5X devices.
Check the info in this post in order to learn how to manually complete the new update before Google rolls out the update in your region. In case you are an advanced user, then you should be able to manually install the new official Android 8.1.0 update using the ADB Sideload method.
Before starting the installation you should check the guidelines below.
This guide has to be used only for the Google Nexus 5X devices.
Don’t attempt to install the new update on any other Nexus models.
Enable USB Debugging and OEM Unlock from the Developer Options menu.
If you cannot find Developer Options, then you should enable this menu first: go to Settings> About Phone and tap seven times on the Build Number text. Return to Settings, and the Developer Options menu will now be listed there.
You should install the new Android 8.1.0 OPM5.171019.015 February 2018 update over older Android 8.x version only. Don’t attempt to install the new update over older Android 7.x builds, as the installation will not work.
Use the guide only if you are an advanced user, as we cannot be blamed in case you brick the phone nor in case you lose any data files in the process.
Read the whole tutorial and do not skip any steps.
Make sure that there is enough power left in your phone before starting the installation, as otherwise the installation will fail.
How to install Android 8.1.0 February 2018 OTA Update for Nexus 5X using ADB Sideload:
Before starting the installation you will need to setup the Android ADB drivers and Platform-Tools on your PC. This is done, so that your PC will detect the phone when connected via usb cable.
Download the Platform-Tools zip for your specific computer OS from the links below:
After the download is done you should extract the archived contents and save them on your PC. Place the files in the Platform-Tools folder.
Download Google USB drivers from here. Install them on your PC.
Install Android 8.1.0 February 2018 OTA Update using ADB Sideload for Nexus 5X:
- Download Android 8.1.0 OPM5.171019.015 firmware file from here.
- Rename the file to update.zip
This will allow you to easily flash the new update through ADB sideload method.
- Switch off the phone.
- Boot the Nexus 5X in Recovery Mode.
- Select the apply update from adb option from the Recovery menu.
- Connect your smartphone to PC using USB cable. Verify that the phone has been detected by the computer.
– if the phone is not added you should reinstall the Google USB drivers.
- Return to Platform-Tools folder.
Launch a Command Prompt/ Terminal screen in Platform-Tools.
- In order to initiate the Android 8.1.0 update use the following command line: adb sideload update.zip
– press Enter to confirm the update.
- After the installation is done you should unplug the phone from PC, and reboot it in normal mode.
Use your default Google account and regain control over your device once again. If you need any extra help you can tell us in comments.