Google has rolled out the new and official Android 8.1.0 February 2018 OTA Update files.
If you don’t want to wait until the new update is being rolled out in your region, then you can flash it using the guide below. Android 8.1.0 OTA Update is normally rolled out in stages, but not everyone gets the new firmware files at the same time.
Before starting the installation process you should check the following guidelines.
This tutorial has to be used only for the Google Nexus 6P smartphones. Do not attempt to install the new files on any other Google Nexus models.
The new official Android 8.1.0 February 2018 firmware update can be installed over the previous Android 8.1.0 builds only. Don’t attempt to install the new update over older builds.
Enable USB Debugging and OEM Unlock from Developer Options menu. The Developer Options menu might be hidden, which is why you have to enable this menu first: select Settings> About Phone and tap seven times on the Build Number text.
This guide has to be used only by advanced users. We cannot be blamed in case you brick the phone nor in case you lose any data files in the process.
Read the whole post and do not skip any steps.
Check battery charge levels and make sure that there is more than 50%, so that the phone won’t switch off during the first boot process of this new OS.
How to install Android 8.1.0 February 2018 OTA Update for Google Nexus 6P using ADB Sideload:
First you will need to setup the Platform-Tools and ADB drivers for your computer. This will allow your smartphone to be detected by your PC. Here’s how to do it:
Download Platform-Tools zip using the links below:
Unzip the files and save them on your PC. Place the files in the Platform-Tools folder.
Download and install the Android Google USB drivers from here.
Install Android 8.1.0 February 2018 OTA Update for Nexus 6P:
- Download Android 8.1.0 February 2018 OTA update zip file from here.
- When the download is done you need to rename the file to update.zip
– the file has to be renamed, so that you will easily flash the new firmware.
- Move the update.zip file to Platform-Tools folder.
- Power off the device.
- Boot your Nexus 6P in Recovery Mode.
- Select the apply update from adb option from Recovery menu.
- Connect your Nexus 6P to PC using the USB cable.
– verify that the phone has been detected by the computer.
- Go to Platform-Tools folder and open the Command Prompt / Terminal window in this folder.
- Enter the following command line in order to start the installation: adb sideload update.zip
- Confirm installation and wait for the update to be completed.
- After the install process is done you can reboot the phone in normal mode.
Unplug the phone from PC and wait for the first boot to be completed.
In case you need any extra help completing the tutorial you should tell us in comments below.
If the installation fails, then you should repeat the guide more than once. Make sure that you won’t skip any steps and that your phone meets all requirements.