Google has published the new February 2018 Android 8.1.0 Oreo OTA Update images.
Check the instructions listed below and learn how to manually flash the new update before it reaches your region.
The Android 8.1.0 Oreo February OTA update is being rolled in stages, but you can use the image files from Google and install it using ADB Sideload method. Before starting the flashing process you need to check the guidelines below.
This guide needs to be used only for the Google Pixel XL devices.
Don’t attempt to update any other different Google phones with the files found in this post.
The new official Android 8.1.0 February OTA Image with build no. OPM1.171019.016 can be installed only over the OPM1.171019.012 Android 8.1.0 January firmware. Don’t try to install this new update over older Android builds.
This guide has to be used only by advanced users. Do not blame us in case you brick the phone nor in case you lose any important data files.
You should enable USB Debugging and OEM Unlock from Developer Options.
The Developer Options might be hidden which is why you have to enable this menu first: go to Settings> About Phone and tap seven times on the Build Number text.
The battery charge levels should be over 50%, so that the phone won’t power off during the first boot of Android 8.1.0 OS.
Read the whole post and do not skip any steps.
Now you can get to the next part of this post.
How to flash Android 8.1.0 February 2018 OTA Update for Google Pixel XL using ADB Sideload:
The first thing that you need to do is to setup the Android ADB and Platform-Tools. Without these you cannot connect the phone with the PC. Check the instructions below and learn how to setup the Platform Tools:
- download Platform-Tools zip for your computer’s specific OS:
– for Windows click here.
– for Mac OS click here.
– for Linux click here.
- after the download is done you need to extract the contents and save them all in Platform-Tools.
- download the Google USB drivers from here, install them on your PC.
Now you can start the installation of Android 8.1.0 for your phone.
Install Android 8.1.0 February 2018 for Pixel XL using ADB Sideload:
- Download Android 8.1.0 OPM1.171019.016 Feb 2018 archive from here.
- After the download is done you need to rename the file to update.zip
By renaming the file you will make it easier to install it using the command prompt.
- Move the update.zip file to Platform-Tools folder you’ve configured above the installation steps.
- Switch off the Pixel XL.
- Boot your Pixel XL in Recovery Mode.
- Select apply update from adb option from Recovery Mode options.
- Connect the Pixel XL to PC using USB cable.
– verify that the phone has been detected and then get to the next step.
- Go to Platform-Tools folder and launch Command Prompt/ Terminal screen with admin rights.
- Enter the following command line in order to start the Android 8.1.0 Feb 2018 update: adb sideload update.zip
- Confirm process and wait for it to be completed.
- After the install is done you can unplug the phone from PC. Reboot the Pixel XL in normal mode and you’re done with this tutorial.
If you need any extra help completing the tutorial, then you should tell us in comments.
In case the installation fails, then you should attempt to repeat the whole guide more than once. If you repeat installation you need to make sure that you won’t skip any steps, and that your phone meets all requirements.